Just Cause 2 and why you need to play it

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
Because you can perform a skydive that lasts more than 3 minutes. Oh and it's a fun open world game.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/isGyddshW-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/isGyddshW-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

And you can catch up to the plane/helicopter that you jumped out of while skydiving and actually board it again!

Seriously, I can't believe there wasn't a thread on this game and it's been out for about 2 weeks. There's a demo on XBL and PSN if you wanna try first. I wish this game got more attention, it's so much better than the first, and I don't think you need to play the first one to enjoy it (I didn't).

It might be the most fun I've ever had in an open world game in a long long long long time. It might get repetitive after while, but I'm 11 hours in and I'm still having a blast. It's a huge game.

Gametrailers review:
<div style="width: 480px;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="https://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=63610"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="https://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=63610" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="https://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 480px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://www.gametrailers.com" title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://www.gametrailers.com/game/just-cause-2/11068" title="Just Cause 2">Just Cause 2</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-just-cause-2/63610" title="Review">Review</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://xbox360.gametrailers.com/" title="XBox 360">XBox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://ps3.gametrailers.com/" title="PS3">Playstation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="https://wii.gametrailers.com/" title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a></div></div></div>

This game will get cheap...fast. No way I'm paying full price.

This game will get cheap...fast. No way I'm paying full price.

Why not? I think it's worth the full price, even moreso than when I bought Heavy Rain or God of War III (both at full price). But yeah I agree this game will get cheap quickly because it's not getting much attention, which means less sales. I hope it becomes a sleeper hit down the line.

I'm 12 hours in and I've only completed 9%. It's a lot of game.

I thought about creating a thread for this game the other day :lol I've only played it for 30 minutes or so, but it's a pretty fun game. The only thing that's irked me so far is the awkwardness of character movement while traversing the environment with the grappling hook. Maybe I haven't played long enough, but you have to grapple to the very top of a building and do a kind of floating, very unstylized jump to get over it, with no way to hang from the edge. Again, maybe I'm not far enough in...

Yeah the character animation isn't the smoothest, but I got used to it after a while, and I think the developers chose speed over having the character look good. Getting around using the grapple hook is quite easy and combined with the stunt parachute, it's my preferred method of travel.

What I haven't gotten used to even yet are the shooting/combat controls, but then again I'm playing it on PC so it feels double awkward compared to other PC shooters.

Yeah, it's just tough coming off of Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 where the movement mechanics are insanely beautiful :monkey2

I love this game... I cannot get enough of it... I have 15 hours so far into it... only thing that frustrates me is that I can never get that last 4 percent on some of the places... Nuclear Power Plant... 96 %... can't find that last object.

Yeah that's probably my only big frustration with the game. Whenever I try to complete an area 100%, sometimes I miss one impossible to find item or object to destroy and it takes a while to track down. I wish there was a map that you can access or buy that has the location of these things. Some could argue that it would make the game too easy, but there are sooooo many villages and areas to search through that even merely revealing the locations of upgrade chests wouldn't be too bad -- it would just make the game play faster.

Yeah the character animation isn't the smoothest, but I got used to it after a while, and I think the developers chose speed over having the character look good. Getting around using the grapple hook is quite easy and combined with the stunt parachute, it's my preferred method of travel.

What I haven't gotten used to even yet are the shooting/combat controls, but then again I'm playing it on PC so it feels double awkward compared to other PC shooters.

The developers were rushed to get this out towards the end and they got lazy with the animations. I know someone that worked on the game and he is not too proud of the way it ended up. Don't expect any fixes for the glitches or updates. There are too many bugs that the beta testers discovered yet were not fixed because of lack of time. Overall if you can look past certain jittery scenes and a few bugs that can cause crashing of the system, then this games for you. On a side note, I was in the real Just Cause while stationed in Panama :)

The developers were rushed to get this out towards the end and they got lazy with the animations. I know someone that worked on the game and he is not too proud of the way it ended up. Don't expect any fixes for the glitches or updates. There are too many bugs that the beta testers discovered yet were not fixed because of lack of time. Overall if you can look past certain jittery scenes and a few bugs that can cause crashing of the system, then this games for you. On a side note, I was in the real Just Cause while stationed in Panama :)

Lots of bugs? I haven't really encountered many that were noticeable nor memorable. The character animations aren't comparable with today's highest profile games but at least the island looks great. Your friend and the developers did a great job in that respect. Stuff blows up real good too.

You were in Panama, but did you assassinate corrupt dictators and destroy military installations while falling from your own personal attack helicopter? :lol In all seriousness, that's still pretty cool.

Lots of bugs? I haven't really encountered many that were noticeable nor memorable. The character animations aren't comparable with today's highest profile games but at least the island looks great. Your friend and the developers did a great job in that respect. Stuff blows up real good too.

You were in Panama, but did you assassinate corrupt dictators and destroy military installations while falling from your own personal attack helicopter? :lol In all seriousness, that's still pretty cool.

LOL. I did get to jump out of an airplane many times as i was an Airborne :) I had always wanted to fly and skydiving is the closest thing there is to flying like Superman :) Most everything about Just Cause has been de-classified but we did liberate Panama from a bad dictator. I feel the same way about getting rid of Hussein. I wish we could liberate Iran as well since we will be in a war with them at some point, might as well get them while we still have an up to date military. It is scary how Obama has cut the defense budget, eliminated many weapon enhancement programs and weakened our position by announcing we will not retaliate with nuclear weapons if attacked by bio weapons or other WMD's. Why would you announce that policy to our enemies? Sorry, sidetracked here but this type of thing gets me upset.

The game he is most proud of working with is the Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots. That game was scrutinized and perfected like no other he has worked on. I got to play a rough 5 month old beta copy of the game and it was in better shape than Just Cause 2 was. However they are two different beasts. An open world environment leads to more glitches since it is easy to find a place that perhaps wasn't beta tested as there is a lot more area to cover.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, I'll let him know at least one person does :)

LOL. I did get to jump out of an airplane many times as i was an Airborne :) I had always wanted to fly and skydiving is the closest thing there is to flying like Superman :) Most everything about Just Cause has been de-classified but we did liberate Panama from a bad dictator. I feel the same way about getting rid of Hussein. I wish we could liberate Iran as well since we will be in a war with them at some point, might as well get them while we still have an up to date military. It is scary how Obama has cut the defense budget, eliminated many weapon enhancement programs and weakened our position by announcing we will not retaliate with nuclear weapons if attacked by bio weapons or other WMD's. Why would you announce that policy to our enemies? Sorry, sidetracked here but this type of thing gets me upset.

The game he is most proud of working with is the Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots. That game was scrutinized and perfected like no other he has worked on. I got to play a rough 5 month old beta copy of the game and it was in better shape than Just Cause 2 was. However they are two different beasts. An open world environment leads to more glitches since it is easy to find a place that perhaps wasn't beta tested as there is a lot more area to cover.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, I'll let him know at least one person does :)

You were a part of that? That's extraordinary and badass. As for Obama's defense budget I do agree with your stance and feel it falls short of my expectations, but this is not the place to talk at length about it (SSF frowns upon politics :lol).

Anyway, I can understand how Just Cause 2 could appear unpolished compared to a game like MGS4: Guns of the Patriots, but I'm willing to bet that the development budget for the latter video game is much much larger than the one given to the studio in charge of Just Cause 2. Granted, that's just my guess, but MGS4 is an extremely high profile game that sat on a legacy that had created a mountain of expectations. Or perhaps your friend could elaborate.

Just Cause 2 is not MGS4 or Grand Theft Auto 4 or Uncharted 2 or God of War III, and I think it benefits from not having to align itself with any of those games. It's fun and was released without many lofty expectations outside of hopes that it will be better than the mediocre first game.

For the record, I'm having more fun playing it than I did while playing MGS4: Guns of the Patriots. Now, that isn't to say I think Just Cause 2 is the better game, but I had more outright fun playing. As deep as the story was in MGS4, there are times when I just wanted to play the damn game instead of sitting through an hour of cutscenes.

In any case, more people should try Just Cause 2.

I am loving this game. So many OTT situations. Diving out of a helicopter one minute then grappling onto the back of a boat the next. This game is impressive technically. The world is huge and very detailed. With an impressive draw distance. It's been generally well reveived scoring mostly 8's and some 9's

For the record, I'm having more fun playing it than I did while playing MGS4: Guns of the Patriots. Now, that isn't to say I think Just Cause 2 is the better game, but I had more outright fun playing. As deep as the story was in MGS4, there are times when I just wanted to play the damn game instead of sitting through an hour of cutscenes.

:lecture

MGS:4, while an impressively beautiful visual and story telling accomplishment, was really not very fun to play...might as well have made a movie. Overrated as a game in my opinion.

Back