JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings, ladies and gents! Sorry for my EXTREMELY lengthy absence, even though it's not likely to abate any time soon. Work, teaching, wrapping up a graduate degree, and packing to move have left VERY little time for me to contribute here. Glad my fellow Dino-Freaks like Blade and Dan have been refreshing paleo-conversation regularly! :clap

I saw all of the postings about the Papo Tyrannosaurs and thought I'd throw in my two cents. Just ordered these from Dan, and I have to say, I'm EXTREMELY happy with them. They're not the most paleontologically accurate... but if you look at them within the JP vein (since Papo seems to follow JP dinosaur designs extremely closely) they're sterling additions to the line.

First, the brown (female) repaint of the original model: Well, if they're going to give us a repaint, at least they have the decency to make some modifications to the sculpt as well. For example, the posterior region of the mandible tapers a bit more, and the squamosal region of the skull has been narrowed. Fine changes, creating a skull that's a bit more gracile and less bulky than the original. Also, as Blade mentioned, the details are much crisper both in dermal scales and teeth. Overall, it seems as if the creative team provided enough justification for most Papo collectors to snag this piece.

Secondly, the green, running (male) T.rex is a very, very, very interesting accomplishment for Papo. The reason I say this is because it's their first dino release with true personality. I was reticent when I saw the stock photos, thinking that this looked more of an excuse to issue a V-Rex, circa Jackson's King Kong, more than anything else; but the model is FAR from that superficial appraisal in person. Far from it. What Papo has given us is a senior, grizzled, battle-worn male that really acts almost as a Papo companion piece to Krentz's "elder statesman" T.rex for Sideshow. The sculpt is replete with nuance: the deformed/diseased mandible, the notched and scarred maxilla and premaxilla, the added neck wattle (see Stan Winston's T.rex model for TLW), the much more elaborate cranial ornamentation (also see the TLW male), and the somewhat emaciated torso with loose skin and ribs protruding through. This is definitely a tremendous leap forward for Papo, and I hope they carry this level of detail and creativity over to future pieces. The other two T.rex sculpts come across as robust, active hunters in their prime... even if they're too pristine for my liking (admittedly the female has a facial scar, another nice addition by the design team). The running male, however, looks as if he's transitioned probably mostly toward a carcass-scavenging lifestyle at this point, with his gauntness attesting to less than optimal predatory success. Yes, these Papo sculpts are "toys," but for the quality and the price, these JP-esque Tyrannosaurs can be displayed along Sideshow's "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth" diorama with pride.

Just poking my head in quickly to give some thoughts, and I'll make a diligent effort to stop by again ASAP!!! :wave

I'll be ordering my new Papo T-Rex's next week :) I don't know whether to get rid of my "sitting" one now :-/ Any idea when the Brachiosaurus is due to be released??

the papo brachiosaurus should be shipped in the next weeks. Papo said on my last mail in june, they should go out mid july.

Yup. If anything, the Spino would've killed a Rex with a swipe from it's claws, not a bite, and even with that it would require a full adult Spino, meaning a lot bigger. A Spino the size that it was in that movie would've gotten killed by the first bite from the Rex.

I don't know how you can claim that. With a jawline like it has, a Spinosaurus could probably do serious damage to a Rex by catching it's jugular/throat. I'd be willing to bet the Spino was way more maneuverable from the shoulders up. And the arms definitely make a big difference. A fight with those two big behemoths can easily end with both of them rolling to the ground, at which point the Rex is at another serious disadvantage. Sure, the Rex may have had a stronger bite, but other factors would play a much bigger role (like Orcas easily killing Great White sharks, despite the shark having the death-bite). But we don't factually know enough of them to even make a rationale statement. For instance, some "experts" still say the Rex was only a scavenger and Spino only ate fish.

Who the hell knows? Maybe one of them had venom or some other x factor that we'll never know about.

I'll be ordering my new Papo T-Rex's next week :) I don't know whether to get rid of my "sitting" one now :-/ Any idea when the Brachiosaurus is due to be released??

I say keep the sitting version! Its still is and will always be a beautiful piece.

Brachiosaurus has an August release date, which is only a couple of weeks away. :wink1:

I don't know how you can claim that. With a jawline like it has, a Spinosaurus could probably do serious damage to a Rex by catching it's jugular/throat. I'd be willing to bet the Spino was way more maneuverable from the shoulders up. And the arms definitely make a big difference. A fight with those two big behemoths can easily end with both of them rolling to the ground, at which point the Rex is at another serious disadvantage. Sure, the Rex may have had a stronger bite, but other factors would play a much bigger role (like Orcas easily killing Great White sharks, despite the shark having the death-bite). But we don't factually know enough of them to even make a rationale statement. For instance, some "experts" still say the Rex was only a scavenger and Spino only ate fish.

Who the hell knows? Maybe one of them had venom or some other x factor that we'll never know about.

Not to mention, there has never been a complete skeleton of Spinosaurus ever found. (The partial skeleton has been destroyed for years now.) Its overall image is based on scientific guesses from other predators in its evolutionary tree. Heck, Spinosaurus may not have had powerful front legs/arms at all. The information we have on T-rex is at least based on actual fossil evidence and not scientific speculation. Not trying to start a Spino vs. T-Rex debate, both were deadly in their own right.

Not to mention, there has never been a complete skeleton of Spinosaurus ever found. (The partial skeleton has been destroyed for years now.) Its overall image is based on scientific guesses from other predators in its evolutionary tree. Heck, Spinosaurus may not have had powerful front legs/arms at all. The information we have on T-rex is at least based on actual fossil evidence and not scientific speculation. Not trying to start a Spino vs. T-Rex debate, both were deadly in their own right.

:lecture:goodpost:

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but is there any chance that hot toys is ever going to get the license from jurassic park to produce Dino's from the first and second movies?

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but is there any chance that hot toys is ever going to get the license from jurassic park to produce Dino's from the first and second movies?

Anything is possible. But I'm not expecting anything unless JP4 gets made.

Thanks to Martin Garratt ( and no thanks to Sideshow..lol )I will soon be getting one of my grail pieces I've wanted since I was kid in 93' :

404087_3611956934113_2086153152_n.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to best display it ! lol

a great bust!:clap

@Blade: How to display? The answer is quite simple, ask Lex and Tim:

the best place for a raptor in house is the freezer in the kitchen:wink1:

a great bust!:clap

@Blade: How to display? The answer is quite simple, ask Lex and Tim:

the best place for a raptor in house is the freezer in the kitchen:wink1:

lol if I had the space in either of those locations that would be cool.. ;D

I'm thinking either using some pallet pieces and making a " crate " she's breaking out of or just build a stand which will hold faux ferns all around the base making it look like she is looking out. Need t osketch out both and see which one seems cooler..lol

in which case Hot Toys would make this:

AGu6Q.jpg

If they made Dino-Rider toys..I would be all over them ! :yess:

that was supposed to be part of the plot for Jurassic Park 4, or I remember reading something similar, Dinosaurs used as weapons

Back