Judd Apatow Movies suck!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of dark comedy, and people didn't want to see it at that time.

Ben Stiller is (was) way underrated as a director, too.

Tropic Thunder looks to correct that.

"thankth for the bootht"

Stiller does dark really well (see: his cameo in Happy Gilmore)

4574138_std.jpg

I really enjoy just about all of the Apatow movies, but I think my favorite thing Apatow has ever done was Undeclared.

Of all Apatow productions, my top five:

5. Heavy Weights
4. 40 Year Old Virgin
3. Freaks and Geeks
2. Undeclared
1. Anchorman

(Forgetting Sarah Marshall gets a honorable mention. It was a good spirited comedy. Really enjoyed it).

Saw Pineapple Express on Saturday and I thought the first half hour was a great movie.

I enjoyed, Superbad, Knocked up and The 40 year old virgin!

But I didn't really Like Forgetting Sarah Marshall...I only went to see it cos of Russell brand (Aldous Snow) but I realised after watching it that he REALLY CAN'T ACT :lol his whole 'performance' was just him being how he is in everyday life.

He still rocks though :D

I think he's totally overrated. Some of the older stuff was okay, but I think it started going downhill with 40 Year Old Virgin, which I enjoyed but did not see it as the second coming in comedy like many did.

Superbad was really not good - I laughed like once. Mostly I was just sitting there wondering why people think this is cool? Knocked Up - same thing. Heard rave reviews about both from many trusted friends, checked my brain at the door, and still thought they were second rate. Luckily I didn't have to pay for them :p

Sorry, I guess I just need more than fart humor, drugs/drinking shenanigans, and bodily fluid jokes in my comedies. See, for instance, Stranger Than Fiction. Brilliant AND fall-out-of-my-chair hilarious... and not one fart joke or kick in the groin! :lol And unfortunately completely underrated :(

Not that I don't enjoy that sometimes... I LOVE Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber :rotfl Just something about the newer Apatow stuff seems like he's just phoning it in for the cheap laughs.

CANNOT WAIT for Tropic Thunder :banana

I'll agree that Apatow's movies are not for everyone, but they are infinitely better than those stupid Parody movies (Scary Movie, Date Movie, Meet the Spartans :monkey4) and anything the American Pie and National Lampoon camps have put out recently, those are just horrible. :yuck

Dusty, you are wrong about Superbad it ruled...:nono

...but you are right about Stranger Than Fiction, it was brilliant!! :rock

Oh and BTW, Pineapple Express was F'N AWESOME!! JAmes Franco should be nominated for something in the comedy category! Who new he was a comedic genius!?

I think there's a nostalgia factor for certain members of the audience for a film like Superbad (I know there is for me) - and the whole McLovin subplot was frakin brilliant. In fact I guess it's really just certain moments from the films that make them memorable "You know how I know you're gay?" from 40 Year Old was hilarious and completely improvved.

But stupid humor is hit and miss with me - I loved Something About Mary but couldn't even tolerate Dumb & Dumber. The Farrellys are far more inconsistent than the Apatow crew I think.

I think there's a nostalgia factor for certain members of the audience for a film like Superbad (I know there is for me) - and the whole McLovin subplot was frakin brilliant. In fact I guess it's really just certain moments from the films that make them memorable "You know how I know you're gay?" from 40 Year Old was hilarious and completely improvved.

But stupid humor is hit and miss with me - I loved Something About Mary but couldn't even tolerate Dumb & Dumber. The Farrellys are far more inconsistent than the Apatow crew I think.
I agree 100%

See, I thought the whole McLovin' thing was ridiculous. Not even a laugh from me. Weird. My male (non-internet) friends agree... maybe i just hang out with the wrong people, but none of it was anything like our high school experience. It's like those movies that show 'what girls REALLY do at sleepovers'... like have pillow fights in their panties and stuff... that doesn't happen. It's put into a movie for cheap thrills. Kind of like how I felt about the entire Superbad film... cheap laughs... "This is the stereotypical high school / teenage experience, so you better laugh" type of thing.

I much more identify with stuff from something like 'Breakfast Club' and 'Say Anything' and the John Hughes movies as the typical high school experience. Even 'Dazed and Confused' is more my high school style. Maybe I'm too old! :horror

But you're right, the "You know how I know your gay" part of 40 Year Old was pretty funny. I laughed at that scene, and at the end when they're all singing 'Age of Aquarius' and dancing around. But the film as a whole gets a big 'meh' from me. Just didn't make me want to watch it again or recommend it to friends as anything special.

Actually, of the Summer 2005 comedies, 'Wedding Crashers' is my favorite.

Farrellys - for sure! And the Spinal Tap / Best in Show mockumentaries are brilliant.

See, I thought the whole McLovin' thing was ridiculous. Not even a laugh from me. Weird. My male (non-internet) friends agree... maybe i just hang out with the wrong people, but none of it was anything like our high school experience.

Perhaps you and you're friends are too young. See, I had lots of nights like that in high school (only we didn't end up with the girls). :(

I love the John Hughes movies, I'm a little surprised they resonate with someone who wasn't a teen when they came out. But I do think that there are some great moments in Apatow's work that rival the best of Hughes - especially in Freaks & Geeks.

Perhaps you and you're friends are too young. See, I had lots of nights like that in high school (only we didn't end up with the girls). :(

I love the John Hughes movies, I'm a little surprised they resonate with someone who wasn't a teen when they came out. But I do think that there are some great moments in Apatow's work that rival the best of Hughes - especially in Freaks & Geeks.

I agree in the new movie Pineapple Express they show high school again, and its way different from when I went(graduated in 2000) but related more with Freaks and Geeks (takes place in the 80s) its funny when I started watching that show I was a freak and now realize I loved the geeks more since thats what I am at heart.

Maybe it's just the area or school she grew up in. Dusty are you Quaker? I'm probably younger than Dusty, but there wasn't a character in Superbad that I couldn't peg as someone from my school. I think it's one of the most accurate, though exaggerated looks at a high schoolers life. Hell we were worse, I can't imagine what it's like now days.

I've had nights like that. ^^^^ing hated it. I dont drink, or smoke, so its pretty much hell. And I hate the whole "DUDE! WE GOTTA PICK UP GURLS 2 GET SUM!1!" When I know they arent. We spend half the night roaming around our town lookin for some "chicks" to ^^^^. God its boring. Mabye i'd rather find a girl that means something to me, rather then a ^^^^ buddy.

Sorry. Off topic.

And our school is worse. But funny.

I just saw PE today and while I didn't find it hilarious I did enjoy it. Maybe it's because I have never smoked pot that it wasn't as funny as it could have been, on the other hand I loved Grandma's Boy so maybe that's not it. The best line int he entire movie was when they were telling him to get down in the hole and he said "No I don't want to go down there!! What you got down there, a Rancor?". Man I laughed my balls off at the stoner logic in that.

Back