Jonah Hex Trailer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it today. First weekend on a Sunday morning - I was the only person in the theater.

One has to wonder who thought this was a good idea for a movie. I'm a huge DC fan, but Hex isn't even on my radar. There are a lot of obscure DC characters that might have been interesting, but I guess Westerns are fairly cheap to make so they went this way. The fact that they had to invent supernatural powers for the character to make him interesting doesn't bode well for the entire endeavor.

I'm guessing they tested this film a lot and went back and reedited and tried to make it more audience-friendly, but failed in every possible way. The origin is at the beginning and a lot of it is told in comic book form - not the way to open up a comic book to endear it to movie audiences. But it is a cheap way to get a lot of story in on the cheap. There's a scene later in the film that's not a flashback and is supposed to be the bridge moment in the film. It's live-action and seems like it was part of the origin at one point in the editing but they moved it when they realized they needed a beat in the movie to begin the third act. This point has some interesting visuals with crows but is not really explained at all. Which is unusual for this movie because it's name should be "Talky Exposition." A scene with Aidan Quinn as President Grant and Will Arnett as a serious General is almost laughable in how much really, really bad dialogue it has just getting the explanations in.

Fox is as bad as you'd expect and it seems they had to do some CG makeup on her - her closeups are extremely smooth and unrealistic looking. Her character seems like it was tacked on for no good reason except to cast her. Malkovich is walking through his role in his "generic bad guy" mode - no nuance, no motivation, nothing.

The only scene that I kind of liked and had a bit of character to it was between Brolin and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Does it work as an action flick? Nope. The action scenes are truncated, boring and nonsensical with little sense of timing or fun.

Overall I'd put this film with Catwoman in my hierarchy of comic book movies - yes, it's that bad.

Saw it today. First weekend on a Sunday morning - I was the only person in the theater.

I'm actually surprised that it made $5 million this weekend based on the stories like this that I'm hearing.

Megan Fox should be begging Michael Bay for work after an opening weekend gross like that--opening in 8th place behind Prince of Persia!!!

:rotfl

I'm actually surprised that it made $5 million this weekend based on the stories like this that I'm hearing.

Megan Fox should be begging Michael Bay for work after an opening weekend gross like that--opening in 8th place behind Prince of Persia!!!

:rotfl

This time next year, I'm sure she'll be begging anybody for a job. Between this and Jennifer's Body bombing about as badly as they possibly could and losing her role Transformers 3, her "It Girl" status is officially used up.

This time next year, I'm sure she'll be begging anybody for a job. Between this and Jennifer's Body bombing about as badly as they possibly could and losing her role Transformers 3, her "It Girl" status is officially used up.

I doubt it.:lol

There's always Playboy or she could go Steven Segal's route and just do direct-to-video movies showing off her T&A.

The only scene that I kind of liked and had a bit of character to it was between Brolin and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Yes. This is the sequence in the graveyard I mentioned earlier. This was the strongest moment in the film, and it saved the viewing experience for me.

Overall I'd put this film with Catwoman in my hierarchy of comic book movies - yes, it's that bad.

Have to disagree with you there. This movie was bad, but not nearly Catwoman bad.

The Spirit bad? :dunno

I saw Toy Story 3, like everyone else in the world, this weekend instead of this. I want to go see it, but 5 Mill is a pathetic opening. I just don't think they marketed this right. For one thing nobody knows who Jonah Hex is. Second, I don't recall ever seeing a DC logo on any of the TV spots or trailers (maybe DC could tell it was a bomb and wanted to distance themselves?). So I think people just think is a strange western and not a comic book movie. I mean big names like Josh Brolin and John Malkovich should have generated some interest. But I think the SINGLE BIGGEST MISTAKE was opening this the same weekend as Toy Story 3. Thats just asking to get slaughtered. I mean really. They just gave up on this at that point. You'd have to release Iron man or the Dark Knight type of films to even begin to compete with Toy Story 3 on opening weekend. I mean its Pixar. When was the last time they had a bomb? :lol

I think that she will always be able to get some work in Hollywood.

If you know what I mean.

I think that she will always be able to get some work in Hollywood.

If you know what I mean.

article-1038833-0214D76100000578-44.jpg

The movie looked bad, but I thought it would make more than 5 mil opening weekend.

Betcha Megan Fox's agent is calling Bay to be in Transformers 3 :lol

Have to disagree with you there. This movie was bad, but not nearly Catwoman bad.

The Spirit bad? :dunno

:lol

Perhaps I didn't hate Catwoman all that much, but this was just about as unwatchable. Yes, it's as bad as The Spirit.

The costumes are good though - I'd buy just about every character HT might make. Even the 12" corset waisted Megan Fox.

Back