Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think it's awesome to see that movies are continuing to connect mental illness and violence while making both look cool and on a higher moral plane.

The first movie had to be one of the most authentic recreations of 1970s New York ever committed to film (including many good movies made in New York in the 1970s) along with being the ultimate homage to the best of 70s American film with a mesmerizing central performance that outdid - to me at least - every other Joker incarnation. A gritty, seriously gripping thriller with a lot on its mind. Just as the first movie channeled King of Comedy/Taxi Driver this one seems to have Scorsese's NY/NY on its mind.

It was also a gruesome, depressing and unremittingly bleak movie that accurately predicted a catastrophic period in US history while also presenting a fashionable but repugnant view of police and law generally. Fully accepting and promoting a deranged political mindset that that has mortally wounded at least a dozen major cities in just the five years since the movie came out.

Trailer looks great and yeah Gaga is a refreshingly un-Margoted Harley.

I wonder if it will turn out like his last girlfriend -- Harley was all in his imagination(s).

Maybe, she doesn't interact with anyone else in the trailer. He's also delusional, so it's possible, but since they already did that in the first film, I don't think she's imaginary.

It might be a delusional love story from Arthur's POV. She's probably a crazy fan and some kind of Arham worker. Maybe they're doing a twist on the original Harley story, so maybe she's the villain, the abuser in the relationship, so she uses Arthur...or perhaps, she loves "Joker", not Arthur.

Maybe, she doesn't interact with anyone else in the trailer. He's also delusional, so it's possible, but since they already did that in the first film, I don't think she's imaginary.

It might be a delusional love story from Arthur's POV. She's probably a crazy fan and some kind of Arham worker. Maybe they're doing a twist on the original Harley story, so maybe she's the villain, the abuser in the relationship, so she uses Arthur...or perhaps, she loves "Joker", not Arthur.
Fricking love this.
Would be a really interesting twist on their usual relationship, a nice change of pace.

Now this I agree with.

Truthfully, I've never liked the Harley character... not necessarily her backstory, but the the whole "Oh boy Mr. Jokah" voice and cheap Jersey mannerisms coming from someone who was an educated psychologist. Her character always screamed fan-boy creation.
Yeah I found her supremely annoying in the Animated Series and never understood why she took off in popularity the way she did.

Although to be honest I never cared for the Joker episodes as a whole on that show, as they rarely had much depth to them.

Perhaps he's getting "better", and Harley is a bad influence, instead of helping Arthur, she's trying to get Joker out of him. Who knows, maybe the story is much simpler.
Thats absolutely the vibe I get - the whole "I wanna see the real you" thing in the trailer is so manipulative as is the whole "im nobody, i haven't done anything with my life not like you" really shows how she idolises Joker not Arthur, you see her physically putting his makeup on him,
Spoiler Spoiler:

And how she follows his eyeline in the trailer and moves to stay in shot - its like she is hunting him down rather than him manipulating her as it is usually shown.
It looks to me like she is a musical therapist, not an inmate, if you look carefully she is always free and seems to be able to go visit him when he is incarcerated.
So I think she volunteers at Arkham as a musical therapist specifically to get close to Arthur because she has this twisted fixation on him as the Joker, and the events of the movie will be her trying to pull him back into that role.

I just think it's awesome to see that movies are continuing to connect mental illness and violence while making both look cool and on a higher moral plane.
b9e76318aecf926197ff9ad73d7f1a49--the-joker-jokers.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b9/e7/63/b9e76318aecf926197ff9ad73d7f1a49--the-joker-jokers.jpg

Loved the trailer. It showed just enough for me without giving away too much. Going full media blackout after this.

Thats absolutely the vibe I get - the whole "I wanna see the real you" thing in the trailer is so manipulative as is the whole "im nobody, i haven't done anything with my life not like you" really shows how she idolises Joker not Arthur, you see her physically putting his makeup on him,
Spoiler Spoiler:

And how she follows his eyeline in the trailer and moves to stay in shot - its like she is hunting him down rather than him manipulating her as it is usually shown.
It looks to me like she is a musical therapist, not an inmate, if you look carefully she is always free and seems to be able to go visit him when he is incarcerated.
So I think she volunteers at Arkham as a musical therapist specifically to get close to Arthur because she has this twisted fixation on him as the Joker, and the events of the movie will be her trying to pull him back into that role.
I also think that once the joker persona is out it’s to much for her to handle

It looks great, and I'll see it - I enjoyed the first - but when watching the trailer I kind of was left thinking, I miss Batman, where's Batman? I know Bruce's age in the first one puts that aside, but I was thinking that Joker in this one needs a tangible adversary of some kind. I'm not sure I want to see another movie of a criminal dealing with mental health issues.

Back