Jawa - Hasbro rework

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryo

Dealer of Death
Reaction score
well here's everyone's favorite little desert scavenger (well my favorite anyway....:))

i took a hasbro jawa and did a bit of a rework:

1. after water treating & letting dry the cloak i ground a reddish brown pastel chalk & "painted" it. gave a light coat of dulcoat to ensure the dusting stays put.

2. cut the two different pouches off the bandoleer at where the belt would meet. added a leather strip to the larger pouch & a elastic strap to the smaller.

3. cut the droid controller holster off and added a thin leather belt.

4. cut a piece of some kind of black scarf looking material and wrapped the figures head.

i repainted the gun & cable thingy, the controller, the hands, the feet, and all the pouches. basically everything.

not a real hard bash/revamp to do and im not sure why i haven't done already because like i said jawas were always a favorite of mine. anyway i hope you all like it.
Picture008-4.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

Picture005-4.jpg

Picture007-4.jpg

im going to get some red glow paint and paint the eyes & it should come thru the light fabric. & i will try to snap some pics when i do.

:clap looks good so far!

I have a hasbro Jawa, but he's all plastic, no fancy shmancy cloth cloak like yours has... wonder why that is? Probably from a different set or something...

Anyway, I think the Jawa eyes are more orange, or even yellow. You might consider just adding two bright yellow dots of paint, or you could get fancy with lighting.

But I'm not sure about how effective the glow paint will be in terms of actually glowing... I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out though!

The later 2 pack set from 2002 -04 had molded Jawa's. The older one from 97 has the cloth robe and has a button on the back to make the eyes light up.

thanks guys................& bill is correct, this jawa has a button in the back when pushed the eyes light up yellow. unfiortunately when you let the button go it turns off. i guess i could jam something in the button or change the switch out (seems like too much trouble though) to make it stay on but krylon makes a real good glow paint that will suffice. the figure on my avatar has it & was made years ago & it still glows bright when the lights are turned off.

Didn't Medicom just use reflective plastic pieces (clear yellow plastic with a reflective backing), kind of like bedazzler beads.

It wouldn't glow, but would reflect any light that got to them.

You can buy really good reflector tape that would work very good for that effect at any bike shop cheap. I am sure you can get it other places too, I just know the local bike shops have stuff that's super reflective. Just take a hole punch to a piece and stick the 2 circles right on the black face cover you made and it would be pretty awesome, though I wouldn't bother taking any pictures with the flash on. :lol

not sure GB i dont own one. but i'm gonna try a few things like the glow paint & see what works best. have a few more coming as well. you have to have 2 or 3 jawas dont you??.....:lol
im also hoping to upgrade the bandoleers when vivisect gets around to starting them again. the smaller black ammo pouches are pretty easy to find in leather but the larger ones not so much.

edit: ah, there you are bill. have a time line on those bandoleers by chance.........???

edit: ah, there you are bill. have a time line on those bandoleers by chance.........???

Yes I do, it was about a few months ago.:lol

Seriously though, I will definitely get to them but i ran into a a little problem getting the right reddish brown leather that was thin enough, and didn't cost a fortune. But that was mainly because because it was the beginning of spring so some of the places I knew I could get it, had things like that stored away to make room for warm weather type fabrics, so I could only get black at the time.

I will be trying to pick some up pretty soon, because once I am caught up with what I am doing now I would like to finally get to doing Jedi, tusken and jawa stuff, and would like to have that color leather for Jedi and other random belts and holsters along with bandoleers. I have also done some tinkering with boot making and it would make a nice boot color but it needs to be very thin.

Anyhow it will happen but I can't say exactly when, but if I had to guess I would say the end of the month at the latest. These are something I really need for my own Jawas also, so I am a bit bummed I haven't gotten the material. As far as Black bandoleers go, I already have a bag of about 80 or so pouches made that just need some buttons and straps to attach them too, so at least when i start those I already got a head start.

good to hear. you can put me on a list for 3 sets..........(im building a small army).................now all i have to do is build that 1/6th sandcrawler...............:horror....................j/k.........:wave

i really cant even imagine how big that would supposed to be...........a dumptruck maybe.............:dunno

I figured when i do the them I will sell them as separate pieces, because if people do multiple Jawas some can have a black and brown, some will will have 2 browns or black and some will just have a single bandoleer. In the reference pictures I got there are so many variations.

As far as a sand crawler goes, its probably doable if you have a sizable spare room with pretty high ceilings, unless you want to keep it out doors. :lol Its about the height of a 6 story building if I go by the pictures in my cross section book. I figured out its about 10.5 feet tall at the front, 9.5 feet tall at the back, so you dump truck guess is about right, just narrower. Though I think detailing the inside is enough to drive any one insane. :horror

So get crackin on that. :lol

I figured when i do the them I will sell them as separate pieces, because if people do multiple Jawas some can have a black and brown, some will will have 2 browns or black and some will just have a single bandoleer. In the reference pictures I got there are so many variations.

As far as a sand crawler goes, its probably doable if you have a sizable spare room with pretty high ceilings, unless you want to keep it out doors. :lol Its about the height of a 6 story building if I go by the pictures in my cross section book. I figured out its about 10.5 feet tall at the front, 9.5 feet tall at the back, so you dump truck guess is about right, just narrower. Though I think detailing the inside is enough to drive any one insane. :horror

So get crackin on that. :lol

In the movies, only the very bottom part was really there in 1:1 scale... the wide shots were matte paintings or a tiny (1 foot tall) remote control model.

So if they built less than a sixth of it in real life, and you build the whole thing in 1/6.... yours will take more materials than the real thing did on screen! :horror

I'd definately be up for a set of Jawa bandoliers . And keep it down about the Sandcrawler you lot , you'll go giving Dorgmal ideas !:lol

I'd definately be up for a set of Jawa bandoliers . And keep it down about the Sandcrawler you lot , you'll go giving Dorgmal ideas !:lol

I suppose your right, even with my wife loving our collection and wanting bigger things like speeders and such, I think building a Sand Crawler in our living room could land me a divorce.:horror

got a couple of more jawas the other day & decided to try something a bit different for the new ones. i hated the fact that these were not articulated much & hold the same stale pose. i thought about how to remedy this and remembered a thread in the customs about jack skellington hands/fingers made from copper wire.......poprock had posted a tutorial on it. anyway.......that lead to this idea. i hacked up the jawa body at the points i wanted jointed.
j1.jpg

j2.jpg

i stripped an old piece of coax cable & used the center copper core. drilled a hole with a bit about the size of the wire up thru the parts. best to use the shoulder/bicep part to start from & push the middle part up & then attach the hand. also leave room between the pieces for movement.
j3.jpg

j4.jpg

everything is going to be hidden anyway but i wrapped the arms with a loose fabric & painted black in case the end sleeve rode up at all. i would not change the pose too often or frequently but it is a cheap easy way to get a different look to the jawas.

and i added a few ideas of my own for jawa gear....:)
j5.jpg

j6.jpg

Last edited:
Those are sweet barryo. It's a heckuva idea, and I like the different gear too. I may have to rip it off eventually.

Back