Japan Post Restricts Packages over 1 Pound to the US!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcummins

Universal MODster
Reaction score
Buying stuff from Japan retailers and getting it shipped via EMS or SAL??? Not if it's over 1 pound starting November 17th!!!

Japan Probe said:
The Japan Post Office announced November 12 that from November 17 it would indefinitely stop accepting mail parcels to the United States weighing more than 453 grams. The Post Office has at this time given no indication of how long this suspension will last only saying that it is “for the time being.” This suspension includes all regular international airmail parcels, as well as EMS. The Japan Post Office (JPO) has cut Japan off from the US entirely, at least as far as airmail parcels over a pound in weight go. The reason the JPO gives for this action is that following attempts to send explosives through air cargo from Yemen to the US, American security measures for air cargo have become increasingly severe. America and Guam are included in this provision, raising the strong possibility that Christmas and year end parcels will not be able to be sent from Japan to the US, which is likely to cause massive confusion.

https://www.japanprobe.com/2010/11/...strictions-on-shipments-to-the-united-states/

I currently have a BD on order that is due in Dec... I don't know if it will make it or not. And I guess that means no 1/6th figures from amiami, HLJ or Hobby Search unless you use FedEx or UPS (or other).

That's what I mean. Is this seriously because of terrorism or because they don't want to send packages due to cost?

The article says it is because of heavy security measures by the US and it is "for the time being", so I am sure it will be lifted at some point.

Ok, there has been clarification on the issue and it is not as bad as it first sounds... this new restriction only applies to "unmetered" packages such as an individual would send. Companies who regularly ship overseas, are probably registered with Japan Post and use metered postage where they pay a monthly bill... this does not effect them. The restriction is meant to stop "anonymous" packages from entering the system... :yess:

Back