JAMES BOND - Original creations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL JAMES BOND THREAD

Yeah, she'd have to be to want anything from View To A Kill!

Looking back, the Moore era was a definite lowlight for the franchise.

SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't say that out loud!! Old Roger (and I use the word 'old' quite correctly) was her favourite Bond, being her first 007.

I too think that he was definitely wrong for JB and put the series back terribly. Connery looked like he could rip your arm off and beat you to a pulp with the wet end. This is also true of Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan and especially Craig...but never ever Moore.

As to the quality of the old SSC figures. Well they were a product of their time. When we first saw them we had never seem figures of such extreme quality, they were quite the most exciting figures we had ever seen. For the mid-2000's I think that the hold up pretty well.

They could not stand against a HOT TOYs figure from now, but then neither could a mid-2000's HT either. You put the v1 SUPERMAN RETURNS Superman figure up against the Chris Reeve Superman from last year. An excellent figure for certain, but just not made with today's techniques.

If I can get back into my attic, I will try and get some pictures of my other 007 cars in various scales. And I am a big fan of the '66 BATMOBILE too.

You're quite right, at the time, most of the SSC Bonds were great, the only one I had was the only one I wanted at the time and that was the Connery. Sadly, it was the ones that weren't great that put paid to bricks and mortar retailers stocking them.

It's SO hard to believe that I only paid £39.99 for my Connery. These days, even sticking a 1 in front of that would be considered cheap.

I know, £40 right?! Where did those days go? I know that when the PO goes up for SSC Vader v2 (which will be my first ever Vader) that it will easily hit the $200 range.

There still some outstanding pieces from those early days though. The Lazenby/Savalas figures from the 007 range are really good I think.

From the BUFFY Range, the v1 Spike figure is still exceptionally good.

And all three from the 'So forgotten that SSC don't even have it up in their own Archive' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN series.

The problem I had with SSC figures before Prometheus (the body, not the movie) was that they were 12" figures and not 1/6. Basically, a 12" figure can be any scale it likes as long as it's 12" tall. A 1/6 figure doesn't have to be 12" tall to be in scale.

A lot of comments were made about older SSC figures being too tall. Next to 1/6 figures they were, but not next to other 12" figures. This has long been a grey area where scales were concerned. HT are 1/6 scale, as are EB, Medicom are more like 1/7, but, they are ALWAYS listed as 12" figures and NOT 1/6 scale.

I'm not sure where current SSC figures fall, they are boxed as 1/6 and yet some heads look like they'd still sit well with 12" figures.

Whatever, they are all way overpriced for what you get. To me you pay more than £100+ for what is still £40 worth of figure.

Rogerbee said:
It's SO hard to believe that I only paid £39.99 for my Connery. These days, even sticking a 1 in front of that would be considered cheap.

I know, right? Madness.

What exactly is Ms. Broccoli's supposed issue with collectables?

From what we understand its because she has decided Bond merchandising will be high end only. If she has only seen the old Sideshow figures and statue (which is likely) then I can see why she'd be against it.

I honestly think that if Enterbay BIll or Howard can get to her and show their current product, a contract will be signed, but from all reports they can't get in the door and are getting a blanket no upfront.

...although the high end only thing seems to have been broken anyway for the 50th anniverary. There was a small flood of really cheap nasty toy cars in various sizes for christmas sales so maybe they are changing their minds now.

I think people that are stating things like 'as long as she is alive there is zero chance!' are perhaps overstating things a little....

hey dudes, Ive always thought the original SS Connery sculpt was decent, so I decided to commission out Iminime's outstanding painters to do it justice! and I must say, this is the best this sculpt can look IMO.

dsc0212ge.jpg

dsc0211ji.jpg

dsc0207ob.jpg

dsc0210tn.jpg

That's OUTSTANDING! :clap

Nice stash. Are you selling? I need a Scaramanga.

Finished a long-time project over the holiday...

Connery's Rogues Gallery

TheFive2_zps1f2d0e9a.jpg

Yes, it's dark on purpose. Just a tease until I get better pics. Not HT quality, I know, but fun to build and a blast to finally have in-hand.

That looks great Wor Gar !
You keep me coming back to this thread :)

Would be nice to see a group photo of all your special Bond figures one day.

Chilipep, that is a very nice Connery Bond you have.

And with this post all my best wishes to all the Freaks for 2013!

That looks great Wor Gar !
You keep me coming back to this thread :)

Would be nice to see a group photo of all your special Bond figures one day.

You're too kind, thank you.

I do plan to get them all out at some point and take some group pictures just so I have them.

First though, got a few more projects to finish and the new ones still need a few tweaks and futzing here and there -- like adding watches and rings and stuff -- and ultimately deciding on their final poses. I think I got Grant and Largo's down so far.

Here's another company jumping on the James Bond bandwagon. Maybe it's the angle, but I'm not impressed with the sculpt.
If only Hot Toys could get the license :pray:
13010614569f95bc2f4b301747.jpg

I started a thread awhile ago wondering why customizes were snoozing on bond... Yes the bandwagon has now been jumped on, and honestly im disappointed because so far all the sculpts suck hard. The quantum wave of Craig heads were better in general and its a shame considering years have gone by.

I also wanted to see a resurgence in bond hype in general and companies or talented customizes finally doing Connery,Moore etc. some real justice.

Very disappointed overall.

Wor-Gar...I am truly amazed at your Connery villains. I know I've seen Goldfinger posted before and he is the best custom I've seen. He really captures that "distant" look that Gert Frobe often had in the movie. It wasn't until a few years ago I learned he couldn't speak English and was overdubbed. I wonder if this was part of it. It was so effective because he seems to regard Connery's Bond as a kind of nuisance rather than a real threat.

I got to finally watch The Sting over break and when Robert Shaw was on the train, I kept thinking of Red Grant. Great villain.

It's a shame Sideshow couldn't make those final figures...I'm glad you did and thanks for sharing.

Yeah, she'd have to be to want anything from View To A Kill!

Looking back, the Moore era was a definite lowlight for the franchise.

Have you ever actually watched the Bond movies?

"The Spy Who Loved Me" is top-tier Bond. "Live and Let Die" and "The Man With the Golden Gun" are also far better than Connery's "Diamonds Are Forever" which had the same director/writer. "Moonraker" is also far better than anyone gives it credit for. Yes, the climax is the low point of the franchise but there's an above-average Bond film leading up to it.

The true low point of the series is the 80's. True, Moore was the lead in 3 of those 5 films but after "Moonraker" it's like they shifted gears and decided to phone in a bunch of B-movies with lower budgets. They hired the worst director to ever helm a Bond movie (John Glen, who with all 5 80's films under his belt is the most-used director of the franchise) and basically counted on the Bond name and history to draw in the die-hards. All 5 of those films (the last 3 Moore films and both Dalton films, "License to Kill" being the worst film in the series) seem embarrassingly cheap and lazy, and it wasn't Roger Moore behind the camera nor was he the one writing the checks.

Like Connery Moore's run ranges from terrible to excellent and considering the fact that it ran for 12 years that happened to include one of the biggest changes in regards to the film industry (namely the dawn of the blockbuster and the "young Hollywood/movie brat" era) his run was a victim to a lot more behind-the-scenes changes than any other Bond actor.

The "Moore Era" itself proves just how ignorant and illogical it is to use such a term. For that matter, "Connery Era" does too. If you think something like "Diamonds Are Forever" is worthy of "From Russia With Love" AND superior to "The Spy Who Loved Me" then you need to pay better attention to the movies themselves.

Back