JAMES BOND - Original creations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work done on the door handles.

lotus119.jpg

lotus120.jpg

Unlocked. I changed the location of the spring to reduce the amount of force needed to shut the door and allow the whole latch assembly to be removed as one unit.

lotus121.jpg

It was a ton of extra work, but so worth it. Still to add check straps to help opening and closing the doors and switches to turn the interior light on.

Made the mechanism for the rear boot release, which is a T-handle located on the driver's side B-pillar.

lotus122.jpg

The rod passes through the rear wing and connects to the latch assembly.

lotus123.jpg

Not much room to work with, as the cement gun assembly sits right under the latch.

lotus124.jpg

Made the door check straps. Took a lot of fine tuning to get them to work with just the right amount of force needed, and to open each door to the same angle.

lotus125.jpg

lotus126.jpg

Also made the latch for the front trunk.

lotus127.jpg

lotus128.jpg

To open, there is a pull lever under the dash, as per the full-size car. I think i will change this, as i can't open the trunk if there is a figure seated at the wheel. Removing the figure to open the compartment each time, is too much of a faff.

Made the gear lever, which doubles as the trunk release. Even with figures in both seats, it is still easily accessible. Just to add some dark green fabric for the gaiter.

lotus129.jpg

lotus130.jpg

Made the fuel filler caps. Most of the fabrication is done, with just a few interior bits and pieces to do.

lotus131.jpg

Tidied up the rear trunk interior with panels to hide the wiring.

lotus132.jpg

Rear lights wired up

lotus133.jpg

lotus134.jpg

Front lights done too. I deliberately used warm white LEDs, as Esprits don't have modern superbright bulbs.

lotus135.jpg

lotus136.jpg

lotus137.jpg

The only lights left to do are the interior, stereo and instrument binnacle.

Whilst rummaging through my collection of electronic doo-dahs, i came across a horn sounder, so added a working horn push to the steering column, just for the hell of it. The column is still removable, for easier access.

lotus138.jpg

LEDs fitted into the dash pod.

lotus139.jpg

Gauges printed onto paper and stuck to the inside behind glass.

lotus140.jpg

Lighting test.

lotus141.jpg

lotus142.jpg

All the wiring done, which took much longer than i thought it would. In order to be able to separate it into sections for painting, i had to fit connectors onto all the sub-assemblies.

lotus143.jpg

I don't know what I'm going to do (browsing the board) when this Lotus is finished.

I have already decided on my next big Bond car project. It's more complex than the Lotus, but with the lessons learned on this car, hopefully that will speed up the build next time. I'm going to finish my Star Trek TOS Enterprise bridge first though.

I have already decided on my next big Bond car project. It's more complex than the Lotus, but with the lessons learned on this car, hopefully that will speed up the build next time. I'm going to finish my Star Trek TOS Enterprise bridge first though.

Please update a link in here or via PM if you post about the Trek build - I'd love to see that one develop.

Back