Jabbas Walls?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirRobert82

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
First time poster!
So i'm doing my own version of Sideshows 1/6 Han Solo Carbonite thingy.
Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to getting the right textures on the walls?
My plan is to use plywood, but i'm not really sure what kinda stuff i should "paint" it with. I thought about using some white glue with sand mixed into it, and just paint the walls. Letting it dry and work it over with my airbrush.
Any pointers?
Hopefully i'll be posting some WIP pics soon.

Hi!

I use for my Walls a normal wallcolour mixed with sand.

SIMG01022_2.jpg

Hi and welcome to the Customs section.

I usually use PVA glue (white glue) and play sand.

I give the wood a good coating of glue then sprinkle the sand over it.

I use a steel vegatable strainer to get a good coat of sand rather than just throwing it on with my hands.

I would usually do a good few coats of glue then sand then glue then sand etc.

The I go over it with a testor pot of paint from my local hardware supplier watered down tso it doesn't cover up the sand detail but I'd say your spray gun would do a far better job.

Also try looking at some of the threads on the site.

This end of this thread https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96166&page=69
is probably the best Jabba set up that will ever be built.

This was my first attempt at doing a wall.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96214

I didnt use sand as it never occured to me at the time even though I used it for the base!

Have fun and ask lots of questions there are a lot of amazing dio builders on here.

Jay.

Thanks mate! Some good pointers there for a beginner like me :)

I'll be sure to post my results here as soon as i'm finished.

Thanks mate! Some good pointers there for a beginner like me :)

I'll be sure to post my results here as soon as i'm finished.

Slap this on your wood with a couple coats then sand and paint u wont find anything better to simulate the texture of tatooine walls!

https://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=217

U can buy it at any hard ware store for under 10 bucks!

Also there is a kind of that same stuff look for the pink kind. (it dryes white)

I think most folks used tile adhesive with a little PVA to cover their Cantina booths, it comes out super and I think it would work equally well for Jabba's walls, look forward to see how it turns out!

031.jpg

Thanks again guys! BTW, love your Dengar bidufarwell.

I bought some spackling paste yesterday, gonna have a trial and error session this weekend. I also got some tile adhesive.
Gonna post some result this Sunday.
Since this is my first diorama i'll probably just copy the sideshow 12" Han Solo In Carbonite wall, and get creative later on.
Plans so far is to make a Tusken hust (using some animal fur i picked up at a local farm) and a classic Tattoine dwelling.

So i'll probably be bothering you guys for more tips n tricks these coming weeks :)

Hi There!

I use for my 4inch Dioramas a normal wall-color mixed with sand.
Wall color: Wall color is the base material, in order to paint buildings and walls. The drying phase can be accelerated problem-free with the hot-air hair dryer.

SIMG00131_2.jpg

SIMG01022_2.jpg

Hi there!

Wall color: Wall color is the base material, in order to paint buildings and walls. The drying phase can be accelerated problem-free with the hot-air hair dryer.

SIMG01022_2.jpg

SIMG00131_2.jpg

SIMG00119_2.jpg

I really like how Starconstrux did it. The others seems much more difficult.

Star, do you JUST use paint mixed with Sand?

Bidufarwell, what is PVA?

I really like how Starconstrux did it. The others seems much more difficult.

Star, do you JUST use paint mixed with Sand?

Bidufarwell, what is PVA?

Hi PVA is also known as: wood glue, white glue, carpenter's glue, school glue or craft glue.

Its the cheap glue you can pick up in any craft shop or $ store / £ Shop / € shop.

I usually get a big bottle for about €5, mix it with some wall filler (also from the cheap shop) and then some sand.

Hope it helps.

Hi there!

SIMG01022_2.jpg

SIMG00131_2.jpg

SIMG00119_2.jpg

Hi!!! I love those pictures of your palace, where can I see more pictures? Thank you!

:clap Star, thats a very nice method. Is the sand finer from the pet store? Or do you think it would look similar with paysand?

This is an environment I've wanted to try my hand at for quite some time.

My method (that I have tested but not made dioramas out of) is a little weird, its plaster powder, mixed with white spirit, pva glue and wood stain. The white spirit resists the watery plaster mixture and makes it moldable like clay so you can smooth it around by hand, as the white spirit slips over it all. As it dries it makes a kind of smooth pitted surface and the wood stain dies it various shades of sand and brown. Bit arty farty but it is what I'll probably use :lol or dorg's method looks the same but is probably less mess and requires no personal protective equipment :lol

I found the benefit of this is when it dried, it didn't need sanded at all

Back