Its Up!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the eyes are off, otherwise the rest of the face looks somewhat like viggo. They could do better and I hope this is twicked a little.

I actually think it's a pretty good likeness of Viggo. Just a very pouty Viggo, like Sauron just ate his kitten. I still think it's better then anything Toy Biz made and that NECA version was very harsh.

Re: It's Up

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, there are a few items out there that arent my cup of tea. That's why I never placed orders for them. A lot of items I just simply respect the time, effotr, detail, etc that go into a piece instead of just coming out and saying this is pathetic like some ;).

I agree 100%. People will always instantly react to a new sculpt in a number of different ways. Some positive and as we have seen,some negative. I think what some people may not have considered is the following:
1) This is the 'Strider' aragorn from the first film.
2) He is in his rangers costume so he will no doubt have a hood designed similar if not identical to Anakins. (it will have a wire to allow unique posing of the figure so those who don't like much can hide most of his face)

My point is that people are going to be pleasantly suprised by the detail of the cotsume that they should be able to get past the whole 'facial likeness thing'.

As summed up in the quote above: You should respect the time and effort that the sculpter has put into this piece.

Re: It's Up

CookieMonster said:
I agree 100%. People will always instantly react to a new sculpt in a number of different ways. Some positive and as we have seen,some negative. I think what some people may not have considered is the following:
1) This is the 'Strider' aragorn from the first film.
2) He is in his rangers costume so he will no doubt have a hood designed similar if not identical to Anakins. (it will have a wire to allow unique posing of the figure so those who don't like much can hide most of his face)

My point is that people are going to be pleasantly suprised by the detail of the cotsume that they should be able to get past the whole 'facial likeness thing'.

As summed up in the quote above: You should respect the time and effort that the sculpter has put into this piece.

I do repect the time this took but the whole point of a forum is opinions..... the majority of time I love sideshow's work but I always trust my first instinct when I see a piece.
I'd like to consider myself a honest in my opinion & not have an agena is the positive or negative catergories.

I might add that negative opinions are welcomed by sideshow if they are constructive & help then in the sculpting process. If everyone is like "ohhh i love it, i love it!!!" then we would be stuck with some early prototypes

I can't say whether I like the figure or not just by seeing the face, but I think the 12 inchers will be a line I won't be a completist of. The face looks a little thin plus that hair is putting me off...but I can't wait to see the rest of him. Not an order for me though. Not as good a likeness as the Elessar statue.

pitchin said:
Now that's the kinda comment I hate.......no justification in his/hers remarks :banghead

On the other hand perhaps he/she needn't justify disliking the product. Most people who're turned of by the preview will have the sculpt to blame.
I'm not excited myself. Strider never was my thing and the sculpt isn't good enough to make me fall in love with the figure. I personally liked Neca's mean looking Aragorn better.
All the better, PF dedication!

of the clothing that we can see from the pic, the tailoring will be awesome though & will no doubt buy it for that fact alone

Well, I like this DOLL line

:) As RTAFD's motto, from C.S. Lewis, goes "... when I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ;)

As for this doll... it'll be interesting to see the next batch of pictures; at the moment the likeness isn't there for me; but it may just be the strands of hair narrowing his face. There's something 'submissive' about him too - from this initial pic the sculpt and/or paintwork seems to be miss the challenge, the danger, the whole character of Strider the Ranger.

Nick

I like it, I think the lighting is playing tricks with the sculpt again, though. If you try and ignore the shadows on either side of the nose, which would not be there in the less dynamic and softer lighting of our homes, I think it'd be just about spot-on.

Even so, it's not 100% but I think it's a good likeness.

I think I figured out what my problem with the sculpt is, it has a gaunt look to it, as if he's been very ill. I know it's Strider and he's supposed to look haggard, but it's a bit too much.

Back