Is this hobby way too overwhelming?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to collect from one thing because i know id want to collect everything from everything i like so i keep my madness to mgs and thats it. My collection is massive though.

Not quite me then, I only buy action figures, and not even all the action figures - like I didn't buy those retro Terminator figures that were released. And I sold off/still want to sell my Hot Toys T4 stuff and Guardian T-800. I didn't bother buying the Genisys Endo at all.

The problem is when u buy one hot toys terminator and u see the same one on sale 20% off and u buy it. Same exact one.
Or u buy 4 because u want to recreate different scenes. Same figure but different poses.
Thats definitely a problem.

The problem is when u buy one hot toys terminator and u see the same one on sale 20% off and u buy it. Same exact one.
Or u buy 4 because u want to recreate different scenes. Same figure but different poses.
Thats definitely a problem

Only if you're screwing yourself financially. And even doing this I did reach a point where I felt I had enough.

I have a few jason voorhees items but i never buy the same one twice.
I like different depictions of jason ( size, shape, plastic action figure, plushy) but most of them are pretty cheap.

I think toy collecting has its hoarder quality no matter who u are.

Perhaps the hobby of collecting itself appeals to impulsive personalities.

Hmmmm, having a real hard time figuring out what I want to write here. I'm not going to judge anyone. I have A LOT of stuff. I collect multiples of things, sometimes many times over. I have been a completest. I am out of room for sure........but, I take GREAT joy in looking at my stuff. Most of it is displayed. I don't like things sitting in boxes. What's the point. I do rotate things on occasion, so some things do have to stay hidden while others enjoy their freedom. I have no problem with selling things to buy others. I've done it many times. I once sold my entire collection of about 200 Godzilla models, something I said I would never do, so that I could put down a nice deposit on a house.

New and better things come out all the time. Having something already shouldn't limit you from upgrading or simply buying a second or third. With the Godzilla collection I mentioned, there were dozens of versions of Godzilla and his various foes. To the casual observer, a 1962 Godzilla and a 1964 Godzilla are just Godzilla, yet they are very different. Ultimately, I got a much better collection of Godzillas. Who knows, one day they may go.

I don't necessarily see my collection as an investment, thinking that it will go up in value, but it is a way of storing value to some extent. I get value from the enjoyment of seeing it on a daily basis until it is time to sell and move on. Sometimes I make money on what I sell, sometimes I don't, but at least my collection is a tangible asset that can work for me. Some people like to spend their money on going to bars or a fancy restaurant. Nothing wrong with that. Your $100 or whatever is gone on a one time thrill. Maybe you're more responsible and invest your money in the market, but then you obsess every day with how it's doing. We all have issues. You have to decide for yourself how big an issue any one thing is. I have A LOT of stuff. My wife tells me that.......that I'm out of room. You'd tell me that too, but since you don't know me, it doesn't matter.

BTW Hoarding and collecting have similar elements, but they are not the same. Unless you have had experience with someone in a hoarding situation you shouldn't be making comparisons. Unfortunately, I have had that experience.

You can be a hoarder and love your collection. You can be an organized hoarder. A clean hoarder.

Hoarder doesnt mean disgusting living or the stuff u see on tv.

The problem is your state of mind. And the underlying reasons for the hoarding.

Hmmmm, having a real hard time figuring out what I want to write here. I'm not going to judge anyone. I have A LOT of stuff. I collect multiples of things, sometimes many times over. I have been a completest. I am out of room for sure........but, I take GREAT joy in looking at my stuff. Most of it is displayed. I don't like things sitting in boxes. What's the point. I do rotate things on occasion, so some things do have to stay hidden while others enjoy their freedom. I have no problem with selling things to buy others. I've done it many times. I once sold my entire collection of about 200 Godzilla models, something I said I would never do, so that I could put down a nice deposit on a house.

New and better things come out all the time. Having something already shouldn't limit you from upgrading or simply buying a second or third. With the Godzilla collection I mentioned, there were dozens of versions of Godzilla and his various foes. To the casual observer, a 1962 Godzilla and a 1964 Godzilla are just Godzilla, yet they are very different. Ultimately, I got a much better collection of Godzillas. Who knows, one day they may go.

I don't necessarily see my collection as an investment, thinking that it will go up in value, but it is a way of storing value to some extent. I get value from the enjoyment of seeing it on a daily basis until it is time to sell and move on. Sometimes I make money on what I sell, sometimes I don't, but at least my collection is a tangible asset that can work for me. Some people like to spend their money on going to bars or a fancy restaurant. Nothing wrong with that. Your $100 or whatever is gone on a one time thrill. Maybe you're more responsible and invest your money in the market, but then you obsess every day with how it's doing. We all have issues. You have to decide for yourself how big an issue any one thing is. I have A LOT of stuff. My wife tells me that.......that I'm out of room. You'd tell me that too, but since you don't know me, it doesn't matter.

BTW Hoarding and collecting have similar elements, but they are not the same. Unless you have had experience with someone in a hoarding situation you shouldn't be making comparisons. Unfortunately, I have had that experience.

If someone goes to a bar multiple times a week and spend 100 bucks then they are an alcoholic. Thats not really a consolation to bring up bars.
It isnt even just about the money, it is about the lack of space and the state of mind.

The things u own end up owning u

Fight club is LITERALLY about this. You try to find happiness or feeling complete as a person with buying stuff

If someone goes to a bar multiple times a week and spend 100 bucks then they are an alcoholic. Thats not really a consolation to bring up bars.
It isnt even just about the money, it is about the lack of space and the state of mind.

The things u own end up owning u

Fight club is LITERALLY about this. You try to find happiness or feeling complete as a person with buying stuff

Excellent Points Crow! I think we all have to draw a line at some point. I think I have more than enough figures and I don't need anymore.I had one of those WTF moments about this hobby and it has sticked.

the problem is not even buying the figures, the problem is How Much....

rjszar mentioned people going to restaurants, well, imagine someone that eats mcdonalds every single day... is McDonalds bad? it is if you eat EVERY day....

obviously people are not going to stop buying toys or going to McDonalds, but it depends on how it affects your life.

thats really the end of it, are you buying figures instead of going on vacation? are you spending money on figures that you could have used for a new TV? or a new car
if money is not an issue, did you run out of room? is the little things like that,

Crows, you make great points. It is about state of mind and how it affects your life, but the amount of something is relative. Going to McDonald's every day doesn't mean you are addicted. It could just mean that it's the only restaurant close to the factory you work in. Collecting is a hobby just like painting or gardening or anything else. It's something you do all the time. You don't just plant some flowers and let them fend for themselves. You don't just paint one picture and say wow, I'm good for life. If you are a stamp collector, do you just collect one 10 cent stamp, one 12 cent stamp, etc.? Of course not. You probably have thousands.

If you are a runner, is doing 5 miles each day ok? What about 10? How about a marathon each day? I've seen people who are so obsessed with running, they've crippled themselves, but keep running. Good or bad? I guess because I chose to use the word obsessed, it has to be bad, but who am I to determine that?

You took my comment about going to the bar completely wrong by the way. I didn't intend for it to sound like someone was spending $100 at a bar, but instead at a restaurant. Not every one that goes to a bar often is an alcoholic either. I don't drink, so I don't spend my money that way. Some do and that is fine. They get enjoyment from it, but once they consume that drink or that expensive meal, it's gone. That's all I'm saying.

thats why those questions are there
Thats what the article was talking about.

if you paint or collect stamps or anything,
Do you lie about how much you spend? did you run out of room? do you hide your stamp collection from family of friends? do you regret buying a 100 dollar stamp but you have to convince yourself that you wanted it? did you buy the same stamp 15 times because you liked it so much?

Thats was the point of my first post. People spend money every day. People, humans buy things daily. food, clothes, cars, art, we live in a capitalist society where we spend every day on things. we spend on stuff like cigarettes that LITERALLY KILL you.... think about it, people literally spend money on a poison.

The only issue with hoarding and collecting toys is how it affects your life. if you answered no to any of those questions then there is no problem. if you have a 6 bedroom house and you have 2 thousand dollars a month as pocket change that you can spend on toys or stamps or anything, then you are ok.

you ever notice how wealthy people are never ever accused of being Hoarders? you ever noticed that? you ever noticed how Celebrities or actors are NEVER accused of being hoarders? even if they own 5 houses and castles and 100 cars, they have never been acused or shamed by society as having a hoarder problem

I think the issue is how negatively a collection can affect your life, and if you are buying things to fill a void in your mind or your soul.

Impulsive buying can be linked with feeling unhappy about your life of feeling that you are missing something.
sometimes we impulse eat or buy things because we are trying to distract ourselves or we are trying to cope with a problem. our mind's way to cope with something bad

if you can honestly look at your life and you dont see any problems you are coping with then you dont have a problem

I am definitely guilty of buying toys to fill a void.

When I'm in a relationship I buy less toys. Not cause I'm out buying flowers for the girl or anything; I'm just in a happier, healthier place.

I noticed that when I'm single, I put a lot more time and money into buying toys. They seem to take on more importance. Stuff I would have passed on becomes an obsession.

I've been single for almost 3 years now and it's bad. I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like I'd trade most of my toys just to get laid again at this point. Well. Not most. Some.

I am definitely guilty of buying toys to fill a void.

When I'm in a relationship I buy less toys. Not cause I'm out buying flowers for the girl or anything; I'm just in a happier, healthier place.

I noticed that when I'm single, I put a lot more time and money into buying toys.

Up to present it has been the opposite for me. I started collecting Hot Toys after getting a girlfriend and it got out of control. I don't think it would be the case now but I have yet to test that because I too have been single for quite awhile.

I think the issue is how negatively a collection can affect your life, and if you are buying things to fill a void in your mind or your soul.

This sums it up nicely in my mind as well. I never thought of the wealthy collector vs hoarder perspective. I agree. There was recently a story online from the Robin Williams family which detailed how he had massive amounts of anime collectibles, filling multiple storage units. The perspective was that it was interesting, not a problem. Though when you read about how he had some depression issues, how much did he collect for a fix to cope with something bad and how much was an innocent hobby?

I used to collect to cope with stuff. Went cold turkey when I saw that, dealt with some debt, put that time and energy into getting laid to cope with negative stuff instead (didn't take near the amount of effort I thought)! I was just switching one fix for another though. When I saw that was amounting to the same thing I decided to live a more authentic life and deal with what was in my life that I didn't like. Still working on that, but there is significant progress. I still collect but am trying to be more discerning and careful about my spending. It feels good getting some things "right" for my particular life and I'm looking forward to the best of both worlds (collecting but not for bad reasons, having a fulfilling life, and not spending irresponsibly). That's what I'm working on anyway. :)

Interesting discussion.

Personally , collecting fame late for me. I collected ALOT as a kid, then in my young adult life, I repaired and sold off many older collectibles through eBay.

The defining moment for me was selling off my 99% compete Kenner Collection from the OT. (And I mean 99%)

It had been sitting in the attic, collecting dust. I wanted to travel the world with my kids before they grew into adults and moved on. I wanted them to see life and people besides Americans and how things were done in other parts of the world.

Selling the collection financed 3 trips, the first to Japan. ( where ironically I bought my 3rd HT figure). The original collection sale pales in comparison to the memories and moments of those trips.

What does all this mean? I dunno you dissect it.

I have 8 detolfs and that all I ever will. That’s all the space I carved out in my life for dollies.

It’s part of a great tool I built for pop artwork, a game room for the growing kids, and my personal memories. It’s my favorite room in the house. Mainly because it is lined with pictures of the family and where we have traveled.

My collection will grown and shrink in that carved out space....and that’s al I will allow. Addiction is a serious problem , and I think it’s pretty easy to see it . Basically when your running out of room, or your hobby takes up time from other parts of your life....you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting discussion.

Personally , collecting fame late for me. I collected ALOT as a kid, then in my young adult life, I repaired and sold off many older collectibles through eBay.

The defining moment for me was selling off my 99% compete Kenner Collection from the OT. (And I mean 99%)

It had been sitting in the attic, collecting dust. I wanted to travel the world with my kids before they grew into adults and moved on. I wanted them to see life and people besides Americans and how things were done in other parts of the world.

Selling the collection financed 3 trips, the first to Japan. ( where ironically I bought my 3rd HT figure). The original collection sale pales in comparison to the memories and moments of those trips.

I have 8 detolfs and that all I ever will. That’s all the space I carved out in my life for dollies.

It’s part of a great tool I built for pop artwork, a game room for the growing kids, and my personal memories. It’s my favorite room in the house. Mainly because it is lined with pictures of the family and where we have traveled.

My collection will grown and shrink in that carved out space....and that’s al I will allow. Addiction is a serious problem , and I think it’s pretty easy to see it . Basically when your running out of room, or your hobby takes up time from other parts of your life....you have a problem.

thats a really beautiful story. im not being sarcastic. thats a great story. im happy to read it

by the way science backs up your theory
your story is scientifically correct

GcGnoYk.png

Recent research from San Francisco State University found that people who spent money on experiences rather than material items were happier and felt the money was better spent. The thrill of purchasing things fades quickly but the joy and memories of experiences, from epic adventures to minute encounters, can last a lifetime.

“One of the enemies of happiness is adaptation,” says Dr. Thomas Gilovich, a psychology professor at Cornell University who has been studying the question of money and happiness for over two decades. “We buy things to make us happy, and we succeed. But only for a while. New things are exciting to us at first, but then we adapt to them.”

thats why those questions are there
Thats what the article was talking about.

if you paint or collect stamps or anything,
Do you lie about how much you spend? did you run out of room? do you hide your stamp collection from family of friends? do you regret buying a 100 dollar stamp but you have to convince yourself that you wanted it? did you buy the same stamp 15 times because you liked it so much?

Thats was the point of my first post. People spend money every day. People, humans buy things daily. food, clothes, cars, art, we live in a capitalist society where we spend every day on things. we spend on stuff like cigarettes that LITERALLY KILL you.... think about it, people literally spend money on a poison.

The only issue with hoarding and collecting toys is how it affects your life. if you answered no to any of those questions then there is no problem. if you have a 6 bedroom house and you have 2 thousand dollars a month as pocket change that you can spend on toys or stamps or anything, then you are ok.

you ever notice how wealthy people are never ever accused of being Hoarders? you ever noticed that? you ever noticed how Celebrities or actors are NEVER accused of being hoarders? even if they own 5 houses and castles and 100 cars, they have never been acused or shamed by society as having a hoarder problem

Impulsive buying can be linked with feeling unhappy about your life of feeling that you are missing something.
sometimes we impulse eat or buy things because we are trying to distract ourselves or we are trying to cope with a problem. our mind's way to cope with something bad

if you can honestly look at your life and you dont see any problems you are coping with then you dont have a problem

Interesting discussion.

These are really great posts

+1 for both of ya

Thanks Crows

I was schooled in that concept by my sister in law, who does not buy Xmas presents or birthday presents.... she sends pre paid experiences.....

Last gift she sent to me for my 40tj birthday was a sky diving trip....which was awesome.

I have watched people die countless times in my profession, and none of them wanted more stuff in their last moments....they all wanted time to do something they never did.

As a family we adopted the experience over stuff Thing a while back. My kids get rewarded for great grades by a dinner out....a day go kart driving or a hike to a town we have not visited....

But I am lucky so far, and honestly have no real wants that only money can provide.

Well except that HT Luke Skywalker....gotta have that...

;)

Thanks for the nice comments and making sure I knew it wasn’t sarcasm....my internet sarcasm detected overloaded years ago..

9b9b02430e2d0295ee05c96b169bb6b8.jpg

i joke around so much i have to make extra sure to point out when im not being sarcastic or catty.

Back