Is there such a thing as free will?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galmando

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day of the saying 'everything happens for a reason'

Often used to soften the impact of a terrible event or provide hope of some sort, and in that context it's suggesting that there is some sort of destiny or fate. Something I don't believe in.

However, the statement is technically correct in that everything does happen for a reason. Simple example;

The ice has melted, what was the reason? It got warm, what was the reason for that? The room was cold so the heating was turned up, what was the reason for the room being cold? etc etc and so on and so on until the very beginning of the known universe

And that got me thinking, the universe appears to work on the basis of cause and effect. Action/re-action.

Living organisms are part of the universe and form from the same matter re-arranged into different structures/compounds, but are we not fundementally also bound by cause and effect.

is every action or event that we experience not the result/re-action to a previous initial event, and by that standard, are we really in control of our actions?

Our thoughts and feelings all stem from electrical signals or impulses, these energies are still bound by the laws of physics, they act re-actively.

It's possible that I have too much spare time on my hands, but it's an interesting thought. But then did i have any control in thinking it? :panic:

there's always a choice; some have more consequences than other. heck, no action is sometimes better than action.

this thread is begging to be oscorp-ed and blackthorna-aah.

take the blue pill and order more HT, yo.

I think there is.

People are born with the will to do whatever they want, but the majority of us stifle our actions to fit with the rules or ethics of society.

So we have free will but are conditioned to not excersise it fully.

I think there is.

People are born with the will to do whatever they want, but the majority of us stifle our actions to fit with the rules or ethics of society.

So we have free will but are conditioned to not excersise it fully.

What I mean though is, from a compeltely scientific view point, are our thoughts and actions not the result of some chemical reaction to some other event?

Imagine if you could recreate the exact conditions of the 'big bang' or whatever it is that you like tocall the beginning of the current universe, would events play out the exact same way if every single element of the experiment were started in the exact same way?

It's a thought experiment obviously, but an interesting one I think. Because if events did play out the same, down to me typing this message, then free will is an illusion and events happen purely due to the action/re-action of everything that exists

I really ought to be workng, but speaking to angry customers is somewhat boring compared to this

Last edited:
I guess its true that everything does happen for a reason but there is also a choice to start things off. I could enjoy the room being cold so I don't raise the temperature so the ice doesn't melt. But then I guess there is the question of WHY do I like the room cold and is it my choice to like it cold or is it something with my chemistry inside?

I guess its true that everything does happen for a reason but there is also a choice to start things off. I could enjoy the room being cold so I don't raise the temperature so the ice doesn't melt. But then I guess there is the question of WHY do I like the room cold and is it my choice to like it cold or is it something with my chemistry inside?

Exactly!!!! :hi5:

this is what i mean

no such thing as free will. We are all slaves to sin..
So don't even try to be a good person. Give in to your master. The master known as Sin.
Accept your slave role in life.... :monkey1....

Shackled%252520hands.jpg

Most people short-circuit any level of free will they posses through the influence of friends and family.

"I'm thinking of becoming an actor"

"Oh dear, do you know how difficult it is to become successful? (list of horror stories) I don't want to see you hurt!"

Even if the person still pursues acting, it's always with doubt - and hence not truly free. Any time we use others to inform our opinions we give up a level of free will to peer pressure.

a lot of things/issues are subjective, relative. if we're talking about free will at a granular level, then its just about impossible to test. it might just be irrelevant as asking a grain of sand or microbe if it got free will.

a lot of things/issues are subjective, relative. if we're talking about free will at a granular level, then its just about impossible to test. it might just be irrelevant as asking a grain of sand or microbe if it got free will.

It most likely is impossible to test, but I wouldn't say irrelevent to ask/debate.

But the question could be 'do we have as much free will as grain of sand does?'

Which may sound silly at first, but within the realm of what I am talking about, it's a fair question

Back