Is there a way to tell if a Hot Toys has been displayed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scohrdarkshadow

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm completely new to HT, but is there any way to tell (ie plastic wrap, stickers, electronic tabs etc)?
I noticed the dx12 has plastic over the heads and the dx07 seems to have plastic around the feet. Is this something that can be taken off and then later put back on?

Thanks for the help

If someone is very careful, you could repackage most HT figures so they look unopened. The hardest thing for. . .liars I guess, would be the areas where the box is taped. Once you take those off, or slice them, it would be hard to reattach them without it being noticeable. Some figures like Hulk have tight plastic wrapping that would be very hard to replace without it being noticeable.

Those Circular tape would give way if they were removed, unless they replaced with new tapes.

The easiest way to tell is if the figure you are looking at is less awesome than it should be.

Once a HT box is opened the first time, some of the awesomeness of the figure gets out. As is the case with the 'first unboxing' experience.

If the figure you are seeing only looks about 85-90% awesome then you know it is not MINT.

:duff

Yeah you have to be carefull especially on eBay as people advertise as new because they think a collectible can't be classesd as second hand.
I recently got a T-1000 and he said new only opened for inspection.
Thought the base had bust on it but the figure was like new and I got it pretty cheap so was not bothered.
But be carefull of the people using stock photos from sideshow site and what not , you want to se the actual item and not a library pic.

Yeah you have to be carefull especially on eBay as people advertise as new because they think a collectible can't be classesd as second hand.
I recently got a T-1000 and he said new only opened for inspection.
Thought the base had bust on it but the figure was like new and I got it pretty cheap so was not bothered.
But be carefull of the people using stock photos from sideshow site and what not , you want to se the actual item and not a library pic.

Good advice and check feedback thoroghly sometimes if it’s too good to be true theres a reason.

I love threads where everyone responds but the OP doesn't...lol.

Ravishing Rick Rude

On regular MMS versions it's easier to spot if it's been opened up because of all the factory plastic. If the person knows how to apply new plastic to the figure he might be able to pull one over. DX figures are a little tough because they are very collector friendly boxes.

I had a recent purchase of MMS117 T-800 that was listed as new, and while it did have it's factory plastic still intact on the stand and behind the head, there was some serious dust inside the package.

What I usually do is compare it with unboxing photos. There's usually many out there on every single figure.

Good advice and check feedback thoroghly sometimes if it’s too good to be true theres a reason.

Yeah I did not buy it for the new factor , I wanted it anyway but some people seem to think these can't be classed as used as they never get wear and tear.

Just be cautios and ask for detailed pics of the item being sealed.
Even if the item has been took out of the box and put straight back in , it is classed as used.

The best are the eBay sells he who say it's still sealed in it's shipper yet have a picture of the item out of it's shipper for the picture.

This. My experience with ebay has been that more sellers on there selling collectibles are scamming or at least stretching the truth when it comes down to condition. This is one reason I absolutely refuse to use ebay.

The easiest way to tell is if the figure you are looking at is less awesome than it should be.

Once a HT box is opened the first time, some of the awesomeness of the figure gets out. As is the case with the 'first unboxing' experience.

If the figure you are seeing only looks about 85-90% awesome then you know it is not MINT.

This post is awesome.:clap

:lol :goodpost:

Almost lost my drink reading this. Great post! :rotfl

Seems to me new figures have a fresh production paint scent and used displayed figures usually do not have it.

This. My experience with ebay has been that more sellers on there selling collectibles are scamming or at least stretching the truth when it comes down to condition. This is one reason I absolutely refuse to use ebay.

Everybody stretches the truth when it comes to condition of whatever it is they are selling. :lol

Everybody stretches the truth when it comes to condition of whatever it is they are selling. :lol

Agreed.. but its actually illegal (in the UK.. and I would think in the US as well) for someone to describe a mint in box figure, as new (to scam the premium price, collectors will often pay for genuine New, over displayed MIB)... false advertising regulations apply to 'distance selling' by private individuals.

Not to mention the intense annoyance of looking at the retail packaging of your 'new' purchase and seeing fresh tape has been applied over the opened original.. dust / cobwebs / pet hair / smell of cigarette smoke on the figure.. twisty ties with coils that don't match up.. and 'fold in' cardboard latches are always a give away.. once they have been opened, you can see it on the fold 'hinge'.

But as mentioned by Snake Eater, with any HT figure always check for a lack of awesomeness! :lol
(Angelicas and New Green Goblins excepted)

If you're buying it secondhand, and you're going to open it anyways, and all the parts are present, what difference does it make?

Back