Is sideshow pricing making you reconsider this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IS SIDESHOW PRICING MAKING YOU RECONSIDER THIS HOBBY?

• YES

Votes: 122 76.3%
  • NO

Votes: 38 23.8%

• Total voters
To fair it looks like Thor was one off, ignoring the three Hulk PFs.
We've had a few releases since priced below $400.

Hopefully things stay that way, $440 was a crazy price and I was worried that might of been the new standard PF price.

It's like gas. Everyone seems pretty used to pay well over 3 bucks a gallon when not too long ago it was in the 2 bucks range. So now when it gets closer to 4 or even hits 4 in some states, people are conditioned not to be overly shocked. In the not so distant future, it will be 4 on the low end and we'll all be conditioned to not thinking much about it. Tell someone 5-6 years ago about 4-5 dollar gas and they would have laughed. It happens in all businesses, typically when the business is actually doing well. SSC makes a fortune. Smarter people on here with knowledge as to cost of parts and licenses have pointed out these statues are not that expensive to make, considering they are making thousands of certain runs. So they seem to be making MORE statues than before and raising the price, so it's all a conditioning thing. I thought 325-350 was about tops for me and that is when I got into it. If they had been at 400 when I was thinking about it I would have passed.

I have just started this hobby a few weeks ago. I just wish that I would have discovered sideshow much sooner as I found the price much cheaper when skimming through the older release in the archive section on ssc website. My wallet has already started draining only 3 weeks into this new hobby :medic

I have just started this hobby a few weeks ago. I just wish that I would have discovered sideshow much sooner as I found the price much cheaper when skimming through the older release in the archive section on ssc website. My wallet has already started draining only 3 weeks into this new hobby :medic
:welcome to the board Texxen.
Expect more serious wallet damage, this hobby is highly addictive.

:welcome to the board Texxen.
Expect more serious wallet damage, this hobby is highly addictive.

Thanks :). It's very addictive indeed! I've spent the past few weeks reading through the forum to learn as much as I can. In the process, I've already bought/pre-ordered 7 PFs, 1 Bust, and 1 Dio, all within 3 weeks.

The first PF arrived 2 days ago. It was so awesome unpacking and assembling my first statue :love. I wasn't sure how my wife was going to react when I tell her the price, but she took it pretty well. I'm a happy camper :)

I two years PF will be $500 to $600 + shipping! :(

I would say the prices have made me much more cautious of what I buy, but more so when combined with space and my age.

The rising price of gas has nothing to do with conditioning or the prosperity of the industry.

It was an example of people getting used to paying more for a product to where they are conditioned not to be shocked. I didn't mean it as a literal reason why SSC is raising prices.

More like dollar devaluation....the dollar's loss of purchasing power,thanks to debt creation out of thin air and the over printing of the dollar (also created out of thin air backed by NOTHING)

Voted yes. I wouldn't quit totally, but will most definitely not be taking things I deem nonessential.

It most certainly is getting pricey, but the quality appears to be going to the next level. Sadly, I'm not made of money so I won't be able to buy everything.

I wonder what It was like 10 years ago when 1/6 figures cost $40-60 bucks? Must have fun to collect everything.

It most certainly is getting pricey, but the quality appears to be going to the next level. Sadly, I'm not made of money so I won't be able to buy everything.

I wonder what It was like 10 years ago when 1/6 figures cost $40-60 bucks? Must have fun to collect everything.

Tbh, the improvements to 1/6 figures are what persuaded me to start collecting these figures.. although the figures were 'cheaper' ten years ago I would not have bought many, because imho they frequently looked 'cheaper' as well.. the oldest 1/6 figures I possess are General Kenobi and Boushh Leia and there are almost no figures released prior to that (2007), which tempt me.. improvements to the Clone Trooper figures are another good example.. so although the figures cost more, I think the improvements do justify an increased price.. whether it completely justifies the current retail price, is another question.

As Prices are going up, so are edition sizes. So I guess ppl aren't bothered by the price hike.

I collect military figures in 1/6 scale. Ten years ago, most Dragon models were only $30-$60/each. Nowadays, military figures are in the 120+, albeit their quality is better than Dragon & BBI, but I didn't buy as many as I used to.

**** goes up. Hot dogs used to be $2.50 from a vendor, Now they're like $5 no one cares. They arent exactly making higher quality hot dogs or making them look prettier Lol if anything the meats are cheaper and there's probably less meat. Just a point. SS pieces Have gone up in quality, like a LOT! and everything in the world is priced higher.

Sent from the Cack Pit of the Millenium Falcon

Sideshow's pricing isn't making me rethink the hobby as a whole, but I am looking at what I can get for the same money from other companies. If PF's are going to be priced like Deadpool, then paying a couple hundred dollars more and getting into 1/3 scale statues from Prime is becoming a viable option.

Back