Is it wrong to expect perfect paint applications?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbinny

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is stemming from Sideshow's inability to enforce quality control standards that are up to par with the collectors who buy their products. If I'm buying anything more than a 6" figure from wal-mart, I'm expecting the paint to be pretty close to perfect, especially if it's upwards of $250-300.

Is it so wrong to expect a collectible to not have runs, fingerprints, or splatters in the paint?

Is it too much to ask for both eyes of my new statue/bust to be facing in the same direction?

Am I expecting too much when I anticipate a piece to look like the production photos on the order page?

Am I wrong in expecting a true museum quality piece?

What do you think?

For the money we pay we should definitely get better paint apps. I would also appreciate them showing us what the finished product is going to look like before shipping them to us. I hate the differences between the protos and the finished piece.

No, no it's not an outlandish expectation at all. When a company is in the business of creating quality, high-end collectibles, that is exactly what we pay for and it is what we should receive. The "lazy-eye" thing is a huge issue for me, and I usually make specific requests, if possible, that it isn't an issue when I receive the collectible.

Yeah, I think its reasonable to expect quality pait apps on these things given their cost. If it comes in a clamshell pack I don't really care but these things are being sold as quality high end pieces so they need to be delivered as such.

For a flipper like you... who cares! ;) j/k

Yes... paint apps should be perfect for anything in the $200+ collectable.

For a flipper like you... who cares! ;) j/k

Yes... paint apps should be perfect for anything in the $200+ collectable.

You know you don't mean that "j/k" :)

But yeah, when you're dropping several $100s, things need to go as expected, else you alienate your customers. Thus, possibly losing them.

For 700 bucks I would expect perfection.

That's some slow echo! ;)

I don't think we can or should expect the exact same quality of paint apps that the prototypes receive, but I think we should be getting much better than we are. I suppose I'm in a fairly critical mood right now (see my End of Days Buffy thread for details), but I'm getting tired of shoddy QC. Of the past dozen items I've purchased from Sideshow, 4 have needed to be returned, and several of the others required paint touch-ups or re-gluing of dislodged parts. Fortunately, I've getting braver (and better) at that kind of thing, so I've managed to salvage some pieces that, otherwise, would also have been returned.

Sideshow seems to be inconsistent when it comes to paint. One piece has beautiful paint apps and the next gets screwed up.

There is no excuse for the problems some of theses items are having. The problems with the 1:1 Iron Man after a months long delay, and collectors having to wait for missing sticks from the Tusken Raider. SS sure doesn't feel like a company that's been around for more than a decade right now.

I got to say that I expect good paint but I have learned to live with some issues...I hate risking it for a worse one....but I agree for $200plus..these should be damn near perfect...

I'm a huge fan of the dead, and I think sideshow dropped the ball with the Prometheus body and the paint app with zombie priest. I've sent back numerous pieces to sideshow to redo paint jobs and wobbly pieces. I used to be excited when a sideshow package hit my door step, hot toys now take it's place... Sideshow has had their head up there ass for about a year now. They're starting to forget where they came from and their humble beginnings... They better not mess up PZ or my devotion will leave them along with my money. I give sideshow chance after chance. Top making fools of us please, sideshow. We want the old you back.

Life size busts should be perfect ....no excuse.

Back