Is it safe to use canned air to dust figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just tried using this to get the dust off the clothes on a few of my 1/6 figures:

CleanSafe-Dust-Remover%2010%20oz.jpg

It worked really well. Fast and easy. But I noticed that it does have a slight odor as it sprays out, and occasionally a bit of moisture will show (maybe if it's held at the wrong angle?) The moisture almost immediately evaporates, and leaves no residue.

I am excited at this discovery, because it is so easy and effective, I just don't want to damage anything.

Let me know what you think. Thanks. :)

Hey Mag! I use compressed air to dust my OC Bats and a few other figs and I've never had a problem with it. I would be careful with that discharge that you get from holding it at the wrong angle though when using it on a rubber fig. That stuff is harsh (try spraying it on your skin, it burns) and cant be good for it.

Thanks! It really is crazy easy compared to using scotch tape to meticulously dab at dust.

I used a can of compressed air from work to clean my Rotla Indiana Jones PF and made the mistake of moving the can side to side a bit too quickly. One tiny blast of ice later and Indy's fedora was missing a large chunk of paint.
:horror:gah:

Be very careful with cans of air on anything with thin layers of paint.

use binaca.........it's cheaper & makes all your collectibles smell minty fresh............:lecture
item_binaca.jpg

Yeah, watch out for that freeze effect from the cans. I wouldn't use them personally.

Might pay to visit an auto parts store & pick up one of those little air compressors (the real small ones). The only problem with a compressor is oil residue, but you can avoid that with filters/oil traps. Works a treat & no freeze. Plus you can pump up the tyres on the car when you're not dusting. :lol

What about air compressors?

thats exactly what i do now. since i already have one why not? saves me from buying the canned air which can be pricey sometimes & no chance of it freezing if not held right. i just have to turn down the regulator so i dont blow the figures off the shelf......:)

those static hand towels work better then anything else in my opinion. it grabs all the dust and holds it. does not just blow it around. also do not inhale those duster cans or you will end up on Intervention.:lol:lol

Last edited:
I've been using the canned air on my figures for years and I haven't had any problems. Like others said, just be careful to hold it upright and don't tilt it. I believe Sideshow recommended the use of the canned air in dusting PF's, but it has been so long since i read that article I can't remember and I don't know if Sideshow even has it on their site anymore.

I use a soft make up brush :)p )to clean my figures, but it only removes the dust temporarily. But it is great for breakable and hard to reach parts of a figure.

I use a soft brush too to clean my stuff works good and gets into all the crevaces.
Would'nt use canned air if it leaves residue and a compressor is going a bit far but if you have one and it works for you cool.

I'll stick to doing it manual.

I use a soft brush too to clean my stuff works good and gets into all the crevaces.
Would'nt use canned air if it leaves residue and a compressor is going a bit far but if you have one and it works for you cool.

I'll stick to doing it manual.

Well, as others have said, it doesn't leave a residue when carefully held upright. But I like the brush idea as well. I may find applications for that. :)

Back