Is it me - or are the newer collectors spoiled brats!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they don't have the same appreciation that older collectors have. Me personally - I grew up dirt poor so I hardly ever had new toys when I was a kid. Everything we had was second hand or donated by our church.

And even my childhood friends who were well-to-do didn't get everything they wanted.

For these kids - I think they just can ask and they get it. So no appreciation.

That's the biggest thing. Kids these days do not appreciate anything.

Example:

My 15 y/o son is a perfect example. We take him to concerts, movies, NASCAR races, Monster, Jam, etc... None of these things are free. Or cheap by any means. I do more things for and with my kids in one year than my parents ever did my whole time as a kid. Don't get me wrong. I don't spoil them. They don't really ask for much at all. I just try to give them things that I didn't get when I was growing up.

But when it comes time to help out around the house it is like pulling teeth. He doesn't want to do anything. And when he does I am usually having to follow behind him to make sure he does it right. No appreciation for the things we do. And that is not how he was raised. It is a shame. And it is nothing more than pure laziness.

You mean, get born, get housing, get nutrition, get medicine, get education, get retirement automatically?

EDIT: I forgot self-esteem.

I mean they expect everything to just happen on demand. That's why you see tons of them posting pics of some character - with the message to EB/HT: "Make this next."

That mentality is pervasive throughout everything the do. My nephew does poorly in school because he can't grasp the idea that you have to study and memorize - build up your knowledge of a subject. You don't just get it automatically.

I agree. Once they get used to being given everything - they then start to EXPECT everything.

Like when they suck at sports and still get a trophy because of the "everyone wins" new age kahkah! :mad:

Kids need to lose, get told no, suck at things, get made fun and above all else learn how to EARN somthing!

:gah:

That's the biggest thing. Kids these days do not appreciate anything.

Example:

My 15 y/o son is a perfect example. We take him to concerts, movies, NASCAR races, Monster, Jam, etc... None of these things are free. Or cheap by any means. I do more things for and with my kids in one year than my parents ever did my whole time as a kid. Don't get me wrong. I don't spoil them. They don't really ask for much at all. I just try to give them things that I didn't get when I was growing up.

But when it comes time to help out around the house it is like pulling teeth. He doesn't want to do anything. And when he does I am usually having to follow behind him to make sure he does it right. No appreciation for the things we do. And that is not how he was raised. It is a shame. And it is nothing more than pure laziness.

My nephew is like this. Has everything a kid could ask for. But acts like he's being inconvenienced when asked to help out around the house.

...so Tinister.... Is this a bad time to ask how the Game of Death clipper is coming along ? Argh.... Grrrr....

:gah: :impatient:

Hehe... :monkey3

What can you do?? The government won't let you beat em.:dunno

And everybody needs a good beating or 2 to have a chance at growing up proper,:lecture

Like when they suck at sports and still get a trophy because of the "everyone wins" new age kahkah! :mad

I know this sort of thing is pervasive in America now, but this hobby is worldwide and so is the "gimme, gimme, do Neo next, wah, wah, y u no make elias!!!" So, I know it can't just be that.

My nephew is like this. Has everything a kid could ask for. But acts like he's being inconvenienced when asked to help out around the house.

It's a shame. But I can't fault my son 100%. Much of it is learned behavior. I have custody of him. We run our household much different than his mother. His mother is lazy to the core. When kids are presented with two options, be lazy or be helpful, most of the time they will try to take the easy way out. We are fighting a losing battle.

And it is a shame that we can't give our own kids a good ass whippin' once in a while to set them straight like my generation got. I'm not talking abuse by any means. Just a good ole fashioned "get your chit straight now" ass whippin'.

Honestly part of it is you just can't write a meaningful message through the internet. What are you supposed to say, "Dear HT, pretty please make a Matrix figure." That too will be buried in an avalanche of other posts. I think "me want cookie" is probably the easiest and most effective way for people to communicate over the web, especially as that usually generates a mob that will all be asking for similar items.

Oh for f's sake. You all sound like a bunch of grandpas.

There were spoiled rich kids in the eighties, too. We're just exposed to everything more these days because of the internet.

It isn't just kids (teens and young adults) that collect. It is kids in general. This generation is all about "me". Self centered and lazy. Want, want, want. Don't wanna do a damn thing to get it.

Exactly what the previous generation though of us. And no doubt, the WWII vet generation thought of them, too.

I agree with this sentiment. The generations after mine are pretty rude and self-centered, and they think they're owed everything and don't have to work to earn anything at all. That doesn't only apply to toy collecting, but to pretty much everything.

All this talk reminds me of a thread some jackass made a while back about expecting free items from Sideshow. What an ass. :monkey4

Wish I could remember who did that.

There was that Rosario guy on their facebook who won the free pre-order of the Gollum pf and was mad because he had to wait until the release date for them to ship it to him, but I don't remember that thread on this forum. Must have missed it.

There was that Rosario guy on their facebook who won the free pre-order of the Gollum pf and was mad because he had to wait until the release date for them to ship it to him, but I don't remember that thread on this forum. Must have missed it.

Oh man. That actually happened? Perfect example. I remember going to my niece's graduation from HS and one of the student's mom was saying how her daughter was upset and wouldn't talk to her for 2 weeks because she and her husband bought her a BMW for graduation - and she wanted a Benz. :gah:

Back