Iron Studios 1/4 Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polystone is more expensive then plastic so it would at least justify the price a bit more... For SS to charge what they did for hollow plastic body was a complete rip-off... They knew people would want a 1/4 scale R2-D2 so they marked it up as high as they thought they could get away with.
I would argue that polystone(a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives) is just another type of plastic. I think it goes back to people having some sort of psychological dependency on weight = quality.

Since they went with plastic and considering the asking price they at least could have made the dome diecast. That R2 is a huge ripoff for what it is.

That would have been cool. Don't you think we're being ripped off with all of these statues? The materials used for statues(polystone or PVC) are relatively inconsequential compared to the man hours used in assembly and painting, licensing fees, manufacture markup and other factors.

I would argue that polystone(a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives) is just another type of plastic. I think it goes back to people having some sort of psychological dependency on weight = quality.

That would have been cool. Don't you think we're being ripped off with all of these statues? The materials used for statues(polystone or PVC) are relatively inconsequential compared to the man hours used in assembly and painting, licensing fees, manufacture markup and other factors.

Polystone all day every day over PVC. The properties of polystone and PVC as very different, simply calling polystone "just another type of plastic" is drawing a false equivalence. Stainless Steel is 90% iron, so it's "just another metal" right? I guess Iron and Steel have the same properties? Maybe it's simply "psychological" we use Steel vs iron to build skyscrapers LOL!!!

Polystone all day every day over PVC. The properties of polystone and PVC as very different, simply calling polystone "just another type of plastic" is drawing a false equivalence. Stainless Steel is 90% iron, so it's "just another metal" right? I guess Iron and Steel have the same properties? Maybe it's simply "psychological" we use Steel vs iron to build skyscrapers LOL!!!

Right, let's pull up some more completely irrelevant examples. SMH. Polystone is "fancy" plastic. Better?

I seriously want to know why do people actually prefer polystone over PVC? PVC is more expensive than polyurethane resin, it's lighter, more durable and cheaper to ship.

The end result is identical.

Why do people have such a hangup over "hollow" statues? Because, they believe that weight = quality. That's purely psychological.

Additionally, nobody's life is dependent upon the structural integrity of PVC. :p

Right, let's pull up some more completely irrelevant examples. SMH. Polystone is "fancy" plastic. Better?

I seriously want to know why do people actually prefer polystone over PVC? PVC is more expensive than polyurethane resin, it's lighter, more durable and cheaper to ship.

The end result is identical.

Why do people have such a hangup over "hollow" statues? Because, they believe that weight = quality. That's purely psychological.

Additionally, nobody's life is dependent upon the structural integrity of PVC. :p

LOL!! PVC and Polystone are no more the same as Steel and Iron, their Properties are different and that is a fact. But you're welcome to your preference and so are the folks who prefer polystone. Try storing a 1/3 PVC statue in a 120 degree warehouse for 3 months and then tell me what happens.

LOL!! PVC and Polystone are no more the same as Steel and Iron, their Properties are different and that is a fact. But you're welcome to your preference and so are the folks who prefer polystone. Try storing a 1/3 PVC statue in a 120 degree warehouse for 3 months and then tell me what happens.

Why would you store your statue in a 120 degree warehouse?

Other than perhaps someone living in a sauna, why are polystone statues better?

Probably because weight is the only thing that would differentiate them from toys. Traditionally, weight is naturally associated with statues, and there is something less than palatable for some about spending hundreds of dollars on a statue that literally feels like a toy...

But I digress. I think this thread has been derailed enough. Looking forward to this Vader statue. Hoping it won't get delayed again...

Why would you store your statue in a 120 degree warehouse?

Other than perhaps someone living in a sauna, why are polystone statues better?

now you're changing your tune. You first drew a false equivalence by saying polystone is "just another type of plastic". now that we're in agreement that they are not the same and have different properties, then we can discuss preference.

For me personally I prefer polystone, and you're welcome to prefer PVC. This is a subjective hobby so I prefer the feel, finish, weight and overall finer details of polystone statues vs PVC. I have a few 1/6 PVC statues and it's a softer plastic which IMO doesn't lend as well to all the finer details that you get on 1/4 and 1/3 Polystone statues.

Now let's get back to Vader

Probably because weight is the only thing that would differentiate some of these objects from toys. Traditionally, weight is naturally associated with statues, and there is something less than palatable for some about spending hundreds of dollars on something that literally feels like a toy...

But I digress. I think this thread has been derailed enough. Looking forward to this Vader statue. Hoping it won't get delayed again...

Yup. That's exactly what it is.

now you're changing your tune. You first drew a false equivalence by saying polystone is "just another type of plastic". now that we're in agreement that they are not the same and have different properties, then we can discuss preference.

For me personally I prefer polystone, and you're welcome to prefer PVC. This is a subjective hobby so I prefer the feel, finish, weight and overall finer details of polystone statues vs PVC. I have a few 1/6 PVC statues and it's a softer plastic which IMO doesn't lend as well to all the finer details that you get on 1/4 and 1/3 Polystone statues.

Now let's get back to Vader

I never changed my tune. Polystone(polyurethane resin) is still a plastic.

I actually don't have a preference. Just playing devil's advocate as it related to R2. :)

How about that Vader! ;)

tumblr_inline_o0wa82VXL21szlmgk_500.gif

No word no pics on Vader. But we do know alot about shelving and what the R2-D2 PF is made from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Well, it hasn't been delayed yet has It? We still have all of this month and Oct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Back