Iron Man question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Heros that kill those who deserve it. Iron Man kills in the comic too doesnt he? So....whats the big deal? Kids love it when he destroys the 10 Rings guys. They love it when he breaks the guy's neck. Its awesome.

And so is Rambo....hardly offensive. Brings a great point. Scum is there, someone should do SOMETHING about it. Plus the gore was hilariously awesome.

This is really my problem with Marvel - the characters don't really have any kind of heroic code for the most part. I guess Spider-Man does and maybe Captain America, but I think I saw Captain America decapitate someone his sheild recently. They're not really superheroes, IMO. They're super...people I guess.

You are imposing your own classification on what is a hero. The term is subjective beyond belief. What is a hero to you might be a villain to someone else. Some supervillains are based on the ideal that the hero was more of a villain than a hero and so they act in accordance because they weren't good enough. The argument that heroic code makes Marvel characters unheroic because they don't match Superman or Batman, etc is a moot point. Its an interpretation, nothing more.

Since when did the police department adopt the motto "shoot to kill"? Are we Nazi's now? I'm pretty sure they're trained to shoot an extremity like in the shoulder or leg. At least, I really hope so.

Re-read my quote. When deadly force is warranted, they use it. They are trained when in a situation where they (one person making that snap judgment) feel it is warranted they take it. I also said that they are told its a last resort, please read through or quote through the whole thing if you are going to counterpoint.

Batman isn't entirely clean, but he doesn't kill and he didn't kill Ra's. He saved Ra's life once and Ra's returned the favor by leaving Bruce for dead in his mansion. It's more about balance than anything. If Ra's truly wanted to escape he could have, but the look on his face, almost at peace with the ending of his life at the hands of his own creation, leads me to believe that he may have been at peace in some sense. Either way, Batman didn't kill him.

He didn't save him. For Superman it would be a good as killing him by his own hand, because his moral code is much higher than Bruce's. For Batman it was a decision to not intervene and whatever will happen, will happen but you can't be naive and say that he didn't know he would die.

I just have a basic problem of superheroes getting involved in real-life conflicts. I find it disrespectful to what's going on over there. There's a reason DC never had Superman go over to Europe and wipe up the Nazi menace in an afternoon. It was disrespectful to the men and women dying over there.

Do you Comic homework. If you look at the films for example, Superman IV is about the nuclear arms race. Look at comics produced in the 40s you'll see plenty of adventures where Batman, Robin and Superman go after Nazis. One of the Superman comics I believe or Batman has the letter on the cover to "Slap a Jap". Comics are reflective of the culture going on now and many Comic Book artists and writers have used modern motifs, there are stories dealing with WWII, Vietnam, Korea, 9-11, the new birthing of the Captain America's series before he died had him in Afganistan fighting people there too.

The problem with this sequence from Iron Man is that it's never followed through. If the filmmakers had legitimized the sequence within Stark's mind instead of just having him watch a terrorist message on the evening news and getting angry enough to suit up and go and kill the terrorists, then I might be okay with it. But the sequence plays out like a typical Rambo-style action sequence where just swoops in, kills some bad guys, blows some stuff up, and goes home. Nothings said. No problems are solved. It's done for cheap thrills, nothing more.

The director felt it was given that he made the decision to save the innocent. You are giving it your own spin and perspective that it needed to be rationalized obviously since it wasn't a huge protest item, I would say you are in the minority. You can believe that you make you like the character more but the reality is I love the character and made that conclusion on my own and I'm glad the director didn't deem me daft enough not to make it but its just two different perspectives of the same scene. Doesn't make it wrong just show you didn't fully understand or care for it.

Also, he says he'll stop producing weapons when he returns during the press conference. ;)

He says he'll shut it down but they don't actually say he did. Obi even goes to New York to calm the stockholders. The division that creates Iron Monger is part of the weapons group that are just now focusing on the Arc Reactor tech because he always planned on Iron Monger to be a weapon which is why they refer to him as Iron Soldiers in the Middle East. If Tony really shut it down after the press conference then the whole latter of the film with Iron Monger wouldn't have happened. ;)

Then that kind of makes him one-dimensional in a sense. If there's no identity issues, no sense of duality, then he's just...a rich guy killing terrorists. There's nothing really internal going on other than the kind of superficial stuff that we normally get out of superhero comics.

What exactly are you looking for as dimension? A man who has the power to save, to kill, to be great, who is almost unstoppable yet cannot overcome his own demons? That is Batman in a nutshell my friend. That is also Tony Stark. Batman and Tony Stark have amazing parallels. The only difference is that Batman does it because he needs to feed a lust for vengeange. Tony does it because he likes it and it fuels his hero complex. Different motives, same bag of problems. If you call Iron Man one-dimensional then you have to paint Batman with that same brush. While the film didn't get into it too much, Tony has serious daddy issues because he was such an icon where as Bruce has a perfect memory of his parents that he tries to live up to because they were taken at a young age before they became flawed through the angst of teenage years.

They are more alike then most people would like to admit. Same with Superman/Captain America and a dozen of other archetypes that are repeated. Like I said before DC takes these archetypes and raises them to God status. Marvel takes them and keeps them grounded in reality and humanity. The characters though as the stories progress often mimic one another.

I have an Iron Man question...

Does the Blu-Ray ever actually load? I'm going on 20 minutes of waiting here... :monkey4

:D I haven't put it on yet but all of these loading issues worries me.

I have an Iron Man question...

Does the Blu-Ray ever actually load? I'm going on 20 minutes of waiting here... :monkey4

Are you using the PS3 or a Sony player with Profile 2.0? If so, it's loading all that BD-Live content according to Digital Bits.com
https://www.thedigitalbits.com/#ironps3

"The big thing so far today, is that a LOT of people are e-mailing to report problems with the playback of Paramount's Iron Man Blu-ray Disc on the Sony PS3 (and other Sony BD players we hear - the reason is the same, so please read on). As a result, we're getting a lot of people saying that the defective disc wasn't recalled after all (as reported last week), and they must have a bad one, etc. Here's the deal: From what we're told, the disc ISN'T defective. What's happening is that the Sony PS3 (and other Sony players) automatically downloads some of the BD-Live content from the studio servers the first time you boot up the disc. And it appears that Paramount initially underestimated the server load - thousands of people got their discs home yesterday, booted up their PS3s and then experienced long, long wait times while the disc loaded, making it look like the disc had frozen up and wouldn't play. But this morning, the problem appears to be resolving, as server loads are easing. (The studio tells me: "capacity was expanded dramatically last night and local servers were established worldwide to accommodate all the fans.") If you're still having troubles with Disc One of the Iron Man BD playing on your PS3, go into your system set-up menu and temporarily set BD-Live to 'prompt' or 'disable'. Then the disc should boot up fine. Wait a few hours (to allow server loads to ease more), and then restore your BD-Live setting. It might take a few minutes, but all the BD-Live content will download and your disc should work just fine after that. If the problem continues over the next few days - which it shouldn't - we'll get a customer service number for you from the studio. You might also want to take the opportunity to update your player firmware, to make sure you're fully compatible - just FYI."

You have a perverse idea of what a hero is. A hero isn't someone who does the "dirty deeds" for us. They help us and save lives and serve as an inspiration in some sense for the rest of us. Not really as a role model in the purest of sense, but as someone to look up to in a way.

You can be a hero in many ways shapes and forms. You can be a local hero by saving a child from drowning, as well as saving the child from bullies. We hailed the 9/11 fire-fighters as heroes, why, cause they got in the burning buildings, risking their lives, to save other lives. When I say "dirty deed" I dont mean just killing. A dirty deed is something that has to be done but we dont have the guts to do... like going into a burning building to save lives. We also have war heroes... soldiers that did "things" that had to be done for the good of the country but not many had the guts to do. These are all heroes. You can't say that they need the strict and strong moral code to go with it to qualify as heroes. You can have all the strong and righteous moral code as you like, its only when someone performs an act that sacrifices themselves for someone else (or a "dirty deed" if you like) that they become heroes.

That scene in the movie contained no social or political commentary at all. It was a simple and straightforward "blow-em up" scene.

Really? You see no parallels at all? Saddam Hussein threatened to kill more and more civilians if the americans didn't leave him alone. And he did kill. Yet the US army went there and got him. Osama has threatened the same. Yet we are still there chasing him. You really don't see the parallels????

No, he dropped to his level. The proper thing to do would have been to have reported it to the police and press charges. I'm sorry that situation ever occured, but there's a right way to go about it and there's a wrong way. You're friend chose the wrong way unfortunately. But I'm glad things are going well. Sad that the only way the situation was resolved was with fists.

You see that's where you get it wrong. You are judging by how things work out in your neighbourhood. In your world, calling the police would be the obvious choice, even if it involves family affairs. But not all worlds operate under the same frame. Different cultures have different limitations. In this instance, calling the police would have done a lot more damage, and trust me I know what I am talking about. That incident happened 10 years ago, the dust has settled, and everybody, and I mean everybody, agrees that what my friend did was what had to be done. Again, its a different world from yours so dont try to comprehend it by your standards.

Who's talking about a perfect hero? I'm not. None of them are perfect, even Superman, who makes mistakes quite a bit. Mistakes are fine, as long as the hero recognizes them and remedies them with honesty and virtue.

Well Tony Stark realized his mistake when he saw his own weapons in the hands of terrorists. He then remedied that mistake with honesty (see speech he gives to the media when he gets back) by stopping the production of weapons, but he also displays virtue by making a suit for himself so he can help those in need of protection, and he puts himself in the line of fire.

A superhero doesn't kill people. He should be above it. He should find the quickest and safest way to end the situation where no one gets hurt, even the criminals.

Really? Lets say you spot a suicide bomber just as he is about to push the button. There are women and children around. Maybe your own mum and dad... your sister and her baby... people you love... and this guy now has his thumb over the trigger and only you can see it to stop it. And lets say you are a cop, and you have a gun with you. You can take a shot at the hand, but he is a little bit too far, so you might miss it, and then have the guy blow up anyway. Or you can take a shot at the head which looks easier, and would definitely stop him by killing him. What you cant do for sure is shout "police, put your hands in the air". What do you do?.... What would a hero do?...

I just have a basic problem of superheroes getting involved in real-life conflicts. I find it disrespectful to what's going on over there. There's a reason DC never had Superman go over to Europe and wipe up the Nazi menace in an afternoon. It was disrespectful to the men and women dying over there.

I believe they did but they waited until America was in the war.

This thread = wow. Joker asks,

JOKER.jpg

What happened? 'Your balls drop off??

:monkey3

I believe they did but they waited until America was in the war.

The covers featured pro-American propaganda, but the stories inside almost barely had anything to do with the war.

Based on the response to this thread though, I'm going to have to call it a day. Some of you are simply acting like mindless neanderthals that love violence no matter the consequences and Mike seems unable to comprehend someone with an entirely different point of view on his favorite character with regards to how I see certain sequences in the film and how the film never follows through with whatever social commentary or issues it may bring up. Sorry. Just ignore this thread or delete it.

bro....the answer is easy....If Super Heroes really existed and did not raise a hand to help stop the terrorist threat....what the ^^^^ good are they??...no matter how they get the job done...justice is served...Movies are fiction but to relate show what's happening in real life...and i hate to tell you this but Cap as you say has the highest hero code...would shove his shield up those terrorist bastards asses!!! and Rambo was good...Stark said it best...*They* say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far. I present to you the newest in Stark Industries' Freedom line. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee, the bad guys won't even wanna come out of their caves. Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration... the Jericho

The covers featured pro-American propaganda, but the stories inside almost barely had anything to do with the war.

Based on the response to this thread though, I'm going to have to call it a day. Some of you are simply acting like mindless neanderthals that love violence no matter the consequences and Mike seems unable to comprehend someone with an entirely different point of view on his favorite character with regards to how I see certain sequences in the film and how the film never follows through with whatever social commentary or issues it may bring up. Sorry. Just ignore this thread or delete it.

Krypto, you do bring up some good points.

I would have to say your definition of a superhero--a definition that can be gathered from your many, many posts--is very confining.

IMHO

Also, were talking about a few mediums (film and comics).

Iron Man is an action movie, not a drama that brings to light motives/complexities of the Hero persona.

So which it it, what are we discussing, comics or the movie?

The Iron Man comics, which I believe you haven't read do, in fact, bring many of these complexities to light. That is why I think The Mike is a more avid defender on Iron Man (the movie) than most because he sees the whole scope, including the comics.

this thread is a joke...Isnt defeating evil the whole point of a superhero. whether that means killing or not. the only reason why joker didnt die in TDK was because they were going to bring him back in later movies. i personally think they shoulda cut the movie (after ledgers death) to make it so he falls therefore BATMAN would of killed him. If superheros dont kill the villians in the movies i guess you think committing suicide (for the villians) is ok right? ie: doc oc, venom the list goes on...i believe the x men kill people (do you have a problem with those movies too?) i would advise you not to see the up coming wolverine movie...with his claws people will tend to die...they arent for scratching their for stabbin :D so what if he killed terrorist with bullets oh no..so i take it you think Osama deserves a fair and just trial??? haha no he deserves to be shot in between the eyes by the first marine that sees him with freaking 50 cal.

Mike seems unable to comprehend someone with an entirely different point of view on his favorite character with regards to how I see certain sequences in the film and how the film never follows through with whatever social commentary or issues it may bring up. Sorry. Just ignore this thread or delete it.

I can comprehend differing points of view and in fact have hijack many threads with different individuals on these boards to have in depth dialogues about this. I was just answering your questions as I saw them, no reason to apologize but the reality is just like in the Superman sequels thread you are looking at this film through your own lens just like you did Superman Returns. There isn't anything wrong with that but the headbanging that was going on in there is because you fail and you did here as well to allow that open dialogue without resorting to attempts to shut the conversation down. If you want to just post commentary with no chance of conversation then state that in the beginning, on a discussion board I was looking to have just that a discussion with someone who didn't understand the character and myself someone who is slightly obsessive with the character.

The Iron Man comics, which I believe you haven't read do, in fact, bring many of these complexities to light. That is why I think The Mike is a more avid defender on Iron Man (the movie) than most because he sees the whole scope, including the comics.

Exactly, I do the same thing with many Comic properties that I follow because I've seen the character play out over decades of storytelling. I can defend the character and heroics of Iron Man because that is what you called into question, Krypto. Now if you want to talk about the shortfalls of the film then that's another thing but you started there and then went into how he isn't heroic changing the breed of the conversation from the go.

I can comprehend differing points of view and in fact have hijack many threads with different individuals on these boards to have in depth dialogues about this. I was just answering your questions as I saw them, no reason to apologize but the reality is just like in the Superman sequels thread you are looking at this film through your own lens just like you did Superman Returns. There isn't anything wrong with that but the headbanging that was going on in there is because you fail and you did here as well to allow that open dialogue without resorting to attempts to shut the conversation down. If you want to just post commentary with no chance of conversation then state that in the beginning, on a discussion board I was looking to have just that a discussion with someone who didn't understand the character and myself someone who is slightly obsessive with the character.

Exactly, I do the same thing with many Comic properties that I follow because I've seen the character play out over decades of storytelling. I can defend the character and heroics of Iron Man because that is what you called into question, Krypto. Now if you want to talk about the shortfalls of the film then that's another thing but you started there and then went into how he isn't heroic changing the breed of the conversation from the go.

The two subjects are linked from the first post on. The film, the character, whether he's heroic or not, are not separate entities. Bringing up the comic book is not really necessary since the discussion was obviously initiated because of the film and the problems I saw within the philosophy of the film.

This is my basic problem - Tony Stark kills people in the movie under the guise of a armored superhero. Yes, he kills bad guys and terrorists, but they're nevertheless human beings. As you stated, police officers are only allowed to use deadly force should such a situation arise. Tony had multiple opportunities to simply injure his foes, yet chose to use deadly force instead. That to me, is unheroic. That to me is not in keeping with what a superhero should be. That to me, sends the wrong message to our young people. The fact that the film makes these events look "cool" and "hip" with hard rock music blazing while Tony flies around blowing up terrorists is somewhat offensive to me and I think makes for a very juvenile and small-minded film.

Now...had the filmmakers decided to take a more serious approach like Nolan and delve into Stark's psyche, uncovering the reasons for his actions and giving him more depth as a human being, getting into his moral code, whatever it may be, and stylistically make the film more meaningful and rich from an emotional perspective, Stark's actions might be justified in some way if Stark were to learn from his mistakes. But the film doesn't do this and instead it comes off as an gadget-laden PG-13 Rambo film.

Krypto, quit while you're behind, man.

Or you can always take your sanctimonious discussion to a forum for pretentious pacifists. I'm sure there are a gazillion of those on the interwebs. :lol

Back