Iron Man 3 - 1/6th scale Shades (Mark XXIII) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no way HT or SS (or whoever you're retailer/distributor is) wants to send you an entire figure when all you need is a replacement head, arm, or leg.

Not saying that to dissuade the forward thinking. I absolutely wish it were as simple as flipping one switch or pressing one button on a remote. Look no further than the Mk46 - beautiful figure when it's all lit up, but how often do owners of that figure want to pry open EIGHT compartments to do it? Once ever for me... A figure like that would greatly benefit from HT's r&d having this type of discussion. In turn, so would we.

Til then, I'm okay with what we have now, because I agree with all the aforementioned issues rocbolt has presented.

Python and Tank are great choices even though there doesn't seem to be much love for Tank. I actually prefer him to Heartbreaker.

How about IP or Hot Rod?

If you're trying to stay away from the Red/Gold, Bones is a decent choice as it has the most pose options but I still think Retro Bones looks tons better.

Maybe DC Mk. III Stealth or Mk. VII Stealth or Sub-Zero or even Midas, or you could go Disco. There's lots of choices, go with what you like the most instead of what you think will display the best, just In my opinion.

From Iron Man Wiki
bbdb6eac2db19de22caf2f897d1df76a.jpg
b94668cd426b32882ebb7c8628767270.jpg
2d24e68ae216e13f667c7441fc1b6434.jpg
b9a046da247f618eb131fbf1746579f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.. I think I'm going to go with shades, starboost, sneaky, Python, and tank.

Tank and Python are 2 of my favorites, I too prefer tank to heartbreaker. I love the satin/matte finish, and the color scheme.

I just had this arrive yesterday from Sideshow. It only shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Friday which is almost overnight shipping, only thing was that I forgot they changed to DHL and had to pay a whopping 84 euros at the door before they would give it to me. I was used to Fedex sending the bill a cople of weeks later and it was slightly less. I ordered one from Ebay on Monday and the seller still hasnt shipped it so I am getting a bit concerned that I have been scammed.

Dont know if I can afford this hobby any longer as the taxes and fees are just ridiculous, a 245 euro figure then becomes 329 euros after taxes and fees.

I just had this arrive yesterday from Sideshow. It only shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Friday which is almost overnight shipping, only thing was that I forgot they changed to DHL and had to pay a whopping 84 euros at the door before they would give it to me. I was used to Fedex sending the bill a cople of weeks later and it was slightly less. I ordered one from Ebay on Monday and the seller still hasnt shipped it so I am getting a bit concerned that I have been scammed.

Dont know if I can afford this hobby any longer as the taxes and fees are just ridiculous, a 245 euro figure then becomes 329 euros after taxes and fees.

Wow, what a nightmare.

Thanks guys.. I think I'm going to go with shades, starboost, sneaky, Python, and tank.

Tank and Python are 2 of my favorites, I too prefer tank to heartbreaker. I love the satin/matte finish, and the color scheme.

FANTASTIC choices! Also, I’m so happy to finally see someone else who prefers Tank to Heartbreaker. Don’t get me wrong, Heartbreaker is a great looking armor design, I just feel the color scheme of Tank suits (unintended pun) the design best.

Here is my thing, i only get the IM figures in the movies, not the Sideshow special addition ones like "Milk", i have other non Tony Stark suits like the Mickey Rourke suit and mms121 and avengers even pre orders like homecoming spiderman BUT i am not getting the older ones until diecast is available.

My collection so far....got some star wars in there.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

Why are you waiting for them? Especially the second?

As a iron man fan, budgetstark is my go to man for latest IM news. He usually gets them pretty quick from secret base for unboxing vids but he replied me on Facebook that he probably won't be doing a review for this one.

Shades has been very exclusive and I can't find much in hand pics except from this forum. And since I'm from Australia, it'll cost a fortune for this sdcc exclusive.

Watching reviews (usually when I'm doing the dishes) help me decide on which figures to get since I get to see the paint and articulation. The only channel that I don't really enjoy is seanlong, personal preference I guess.

The arrival of 2 new baby boys
0ac29a2487d549054162cd80bc53cb5b.jpg
b9b356356cfedd7e2fad262cb519674e.jpg
61c1658e15b60c6236492abccfd8966d.jpg
f89031e6067e2ca9fd05a89601c501bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Always love seeing photos, thanks for sharing them, there isn't many photos online where you see Iron Man's and other figures mixed

------

In Advance, sorry, this post will be a bit babbling, and I'm a bit obsessive

I've recently bought and got rid of a Heartbreaker, it was my first Iron Man, the glossy finish and the lightness wasn't for me, I was expecting something more hefty, it felt like an Action Man at hand, my brother hated this comparison as he loves Iron Man's - Also the non-light-up base was the last straw, when you pay so much money for something, seeing such a lowly cost-cut is a huge bummer, if they at least included unique/better stand's, it could make things more tolerable, I was going to buy Comicave or King Arts Iron Man's, but later on, decided to collect Hot Toys but just not Iron Man's, after seeing T-800, Harley Quinn, Robocop, K-2SO - things that would add color/fun to my life - It's clear Hot Toys have the capacity for detail and uniqueness, but it's also clear they see Iron Man's as cash cows

I bought the Shades from Sideshow before seeing Heartbreaker and it just arrived, I also have the Gold Chrome and Sub Zero on order form Ebay, I'm thinking of just keeping one Iron Man for my collection and selling the rest of them, so my secondary question is, which one shall I keep? - It will go on Display with assorted Hot Toys figures, no theme restriction

I kind of like the Shades, it's Matte and detailed, I LOVED the original design of Heartbreaker, but didn't enjoy the actual figure, it felt cheap and flashy, I kind of feel like Shades won't feel that way, minus the cheap stand

I suspect I won't like the Gold Chrome I ordered either for the same reasons, some mentioned it feels like a cheap repaint and I think I would agree, but the Sub Zero is a good contender

So basically, I can't decide whether I should open or sell my Shades, if it had a better/more unique stand, I would definitely open it and move on

If Heartbreaker felt cheap and not unique to you - I don't think the Shades would be any different. The Chrome Midas and Sub Zero are both based on older designs and would probably feel cheaper to you than even the Heartbreaker. I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of uniqueness based off the examples you provided - I don't think there's any difference in level of detail as each figure is based on movie designs and seems to capture the detail/likeness all equally well in my opinion. So whether or not the design is unique would seem to be based on the actual movie design itself.

If you're looking for something more hefty and feels like it's higher quality - I would go with a diecast version. Both the 45 and 46 are good options. The stand and head sculpt for the 46 put that over the 45 for me. The Mark VI coming out later this year looks like a good option as well.

Couldn't resist and opened it up after all, I liked it better than Heartbreaker, since it's matte it looks better to me, feels better at hand too

My brother bought the Mark 46 for himself, it didn't arrive yet but I do agree with your assessment, if there was a Diecast design that I liked I would go after it, a Die Cast Hot Toys Heartbreaker with slightly more matte coloring would be my ideal candidate if it existed (there is the King Arts one, but decided to restrict myself to Hot Toys)

I definitely don't like the stand tho, it's a shame Hot Toys didn't make a unique base, I will probably buy one of the old/low-key bases mikericm used

Shades just has such real world look (if real world built Iron Mans :lol ), when I watched IM3 I really liked the look of Shotgun on screen, but for figures I think Shades makes a better presentation.

Couldn't resist and opened it up after all, I liked it better than Heartbreaker, since it's matte it looks better to me, feels better at hand too

My brother bought the Mark 46 for himself, it didn't arrive yet but I do agree with your assessment, if there was a Diecast design that I liked I would go after it, a Die Cast Hot Toys Heartbreaker with slightly more matte coloring would be my ideal candidate if it existed (there is the King Arts one, but decided to restrict myself to Hot Toys)

I definitely don't like the stand tho, it's a shame Hot Toys didn't make a unique base, I will probably buy one of the old/low-key bases mikericm used

You'd probably like Tank, its Heartbreaker with a matte finish and more weathering

I love the chest detail of the Heartbreaker, when you are displaying the figure turned off, in my opinion it's the best looking one, the Mark 7 ones look too oval and while the Shades one looks good, it's too recessed, goes unnoticed, however I'm not a huge fan of the Tank's colors, especially since the mask is 2-tone, I suspect I could love the King Arts version, if I was only buying 1 figure, it would be the King Arts Heartbreaker

I love the Shades tho, awesome painting, indeed it looks like it would blend in well with other figures from other themes

1TulRT4.jpg

Going to IKEA now to buy some wall shelves :)

Got mine some days ago with a bunch of other House party protocol figs:

20645172_1451694658219100_6394682431209490670_o.jpg

21366689_1451694821552417_2463567783668994903_o.jpg

21414757_815464958613016_5830115173401955507_o.jpg

Yellow stickers on my poster is my completion status. :) Especially on the second row Hot Toys has some gaps..let's hope we get some more suits of them.

21366712_1451694724885760_5253473643466301829_o.jpg

21366877_815447491948096_8536309111097540570_o.jpg

Amazing pics xenom0rph. The lighting make such a difference. I may never take another picture of my IM again. :wink1:

Where did you get that poster?

After buying more Hot Toys figures, I started liking Shades so much more

It's like the ideal figure, you can get it into pretty much any pose, but interestingly, for display, I like a more de-activated but ready to activate and wreak havoc pose

I had a distaste for the base the most, but it goes well with the de-activated pose, holding it from behind, and since I decided to make this my only Iron Man, and not go for a House Protocol addiction, the repetitive and dis-functional base doesn't bother me any more

Back