Iron Man 3 - 1/6th scale Iron Man Mark XXI (Midas) Diecast Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today seems ok just that I feel that he has 2 right feet anyone can report the feet plates seem off to me here is a pic
f676ea82b601f95846ac69bda8cb30fe.jpg

Yeah it looks switched but that is the way the feet are oriented on the DC Mark VII as well. It looks odd but that is how they come out the box.

Beautiful figure. Anyone setting this up next to their Mark II Diecast? Interested how the gold and silver combo looks on the shelf

That?s a fabulous idea. If my stuff wasn?t wired up I would immediately take those pictures for you and for myself. It?s a great idea. Someone please do this!

Attachments

• CBE64E99-4275-42A2-8596-5D3097DAABE0.jpeg
    CBE64E99-4275-42A2-8596-5D3097DAABE0.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 297B12DA-9EB9-4A93-83EF-CB5FC5A501E0.jpeg
    297B12DA-9EB9-4A93-83EF-CB5FC5A501E0.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 142
I?m hoping that Armor Wars brings back the HPP suits (and of course new ones) because I?d sell my remaining Kidney for these:

Mk. XVI Nightclub which in both dark and classic IM colors would be canon-
CD80DDFD-0327-4F89-8E19-72738BF188D1.jpegF77C6483-A13B-480B-94A3-7E570FF79859.jpeg

Mk. XVIII Casanova being a streamlined cloaking armor using Heartbreaker?s/Tank?s oversized arc reactor to be able to sustain cloak for longer durations than Nightclub
FA150BA8-16FC-426A-A2EE-A38C028F3C71.jpeg

Mk. XX Python having already been released under the HPP banner might have/had some people think it is vastly inferior to recent releases. In my opinion, the current figure is good but after witnessing the overall great results of the new Mk. XXI Midas and others, a new Python would be very welcome and is a rare example of the Gray and Gold MCU armor color scheme that had dominated IM comic armors for years. The Python was Stark?s first foray into advancing armor capabilities for extended flight and higher altitudes. Beyond that, the Mk. XX looks are basically top half Mk. VII, bottom half Mk. XVII Heartbreaker while testing a new helmet design which eventually makes it to the well known Mk. XXX & Mk. XXXIII/Blue Steel & Silver Centurion respectively.
225BE9CA-14B7-4601-913F-275566065E90.jpeg

Mk. XXVII Disco also having been released under the HPP banner and to this day is still in my top 5 favorite IM armors as is. The major reason that I am including it in this list is that I believe it needs much more visibility. As one of Stark?s last armor designs focused on stealth/camouflage/cloaking abilities, it?s at or near a pinnacle of design and development and the blue-orange color scheme might sound terrible but turns out to be the exact opposite. The 2 primary colors are a very beautiful metallic paint which seen on the part Mk. VII, part Mk. XL armor of Disco, look fantastic.
1D4FA85C-FACD-4CD5-91C5-FB76737B90FA.jpeg

Mk. XXVIII Jack was almost the final HPP figure released before Howard decided to go back on his word to finish the line. In recognizing the scene at the time, Iron Man releases were too big a part of their catalog and so many became jaded and stepped away from the numerous armor releases. Having seen this prototype in person, the Jack-O-Lantern Orange-Black color scheme, like Disco, seems bad as a concept but delivered splendidly in person. Lastly, it was one of Stark?s final armors focused on radiation protection and was therefore another pinnacle of design and development.
4C16C8DA-A1C0-467F-BCC1-D60F17F078B4.jpeg

Mk. XXXI Piston was Stark?s second foray into enhancing energy output throughout various systems. Piston was built to focus on the the enchanted energy output for extreme acceleration and armor?s subsystems. The name Piston makes sense in that in the early stages of experiments into building a fully enhanced, efficient and powerful armor integrated into every major system and subsystems by focusing solely on acceleration, akin to building a car that does a super fast 0-60 without much importance placed on other things unless they help or hinder the acceleration. Finally, the metallic green and silver color way is wonderfully fantastic, original and evokes feelings of the famous British racing green that has adorned many winning, fast cars over the decades.
B0FCB964-E43B-4085-9B6E-3C3AC530E533.jpg58AB8095-0A37-41DF-AB6F-6235FA09FB0B.jpeg

Mk. XXXII Romeo had a similar purpose to Piston in that it was a further attempt to enhance the energy output though specific systems. With this design, Stark focused on using the oversized arc reactor to power a smaller, lightweight armor. In itself, this was a challenge as the specific challenge was to give Romeo a big heart with a sleek body, which is why it was named Romeo! In the past, in order for an armor to support such power from the oversized reactor, agility & speed were immediately sacrificed but with the new developments into subsystem energy enhancement, he was able to use less and lighter materials to form a sleeker design while maintaining the doubled powered unibeam, hand and boot repulsors without blowing said armor apart while firing the enhanced weapon systems. Actually, the Mk. XXXII Romeo, was such a success that it enabled him to take a huge step forward with the the next Mark, the XXXIII Silver Centurion.
CC07A7E3-4288-4770-ABC4-532554A6ED08.jpeg

Mk. XXXIII Silver Centurion was an iconic comic armor and was said to be featured more on screen but it did not come to be. Additionally, most people remember about the depiction in IM3 are the arm blades and not the fact that after the suit?s arc reactor was destroyed, of not for the incredible work done to make the suit so powerful and resilient, Stark should not have been able to use the blades much less move his arms and even have power left over in the enhanced subsystems to allow for a graceful eject/armor unlock. With the complete design change along with a slew of upgrades to make this armor powerful and efficient came a new arc reactor which was said to fire the most powerful unibeam of all armors until the Mk. XLII prototype. In many ways the SC was the absolute pinnacle of everything he was working on after the battle of NY with most armors succeeding it were for different scenarios (ie. Peacekeeper?s sonic repulsors, Starboost?s exospheric capabilities, Igor?s heavy lifting/strongman focus) only until Shotgun and Bones were built and the realization that it might be possible to encapsulate all the best, most powerful, most useful, most dynamic systems and features invented, tested and mostly perfected in the development and deployment of the Mk. VII to the Mk. XLI into the Mk. XLII. Silver Centurion deserves a revisit simply because of the significance but as important was that, In my opinion, the figure was a bit lacking especially by modern standards. Even when it was released, it didn?t have that important, premium look and feel, the silvers were too muted, being almost matte and articulation was not even on par with the initial Mk. VII.
25BD3A98-07A1-4BF0-AD81-4D2F1618F43A.jpeg

One last thing that I feel should be addressed is Rhodey?s ?color scheme?. Obviously we know that Tony was Red & Gold, War Machine is Black and Silver, and Iron Patriot is Red, White and Blue but I believe that he will no longer be an Air Force colonel, most likely retired, not officially dishonorably discharged but the new regime wants control over Stark tech and are no longer willing to have a War Machine and Iron Patriot that thinks for themselves. I?m really hoping that he adopts the Gold & Black color scheme that was popular in the comics for years. I found this 1 picture that someone changed a partial picture of the Mk. 46/47 to those comic inspired colors which looks incredibly fantastic! Most likely, we will instead be introduced to the Mk. LI to Mk. LXXXIV we missed in the 5 years between IW & EG. Again, my real hope is for great story telling, with figures that compliment it and to bring that Gold & Black armor color scheme into the MCU finally.
ABD2522F-E836-4C88-B5D8-854E931814D1.jpeg

I would love to see a diecast Silver Centurion. Always my favorite armor because of the non traditional silver and red color combo. Only thing was I wish they had used more silver in the movie to pay more homage to the comics it was taken from.

blinguskahn - War Machine Mk IV says LT COL JAMES RHODES RET but the Mk VI just says LT COL JAMES RHODES. What do you think this means in regards to your mention of his retirement in your post?

blinguskahn - War Machine Mk IV says LT COL JAMES RHODES RET but the Mk VI just says LT COL JAMES RHODES. What do you think this means in regards to your mention of his retirement in your post?

Right, in the MCU they never fully clarified his USAF status. I believe we are supposed to infer that after his CW injury in the Mk. III, he retired from active duty hence the Mk. IV showing RET (retired) suffix. As we saw when Cap and his “rebels” brought Vision back to the Avengers compound in IW, it was obvious that Rhodey was manning the fort and pissed off Secretary T. Ross when he ignored the order to arrest everyone. I’m only guessing that the RET suffix was dropped had to do with the BLIP leaving it imperative to keep Rhodey in as USAF while working with whoever was left of the Avengers who must have been pardoned. In the comics, he does achieve full bird Colonel rank but never officially higher USAF rank. But that’s just my take on it as those 5 years have a number of gaps to be filled in.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed that I barely addressed your actual question based on my prediction for Armor Wars. As for what’s known right now for the series, well nearly nothing outside of the comic run. But I would assume that aside from unsavory factions, straight up villains and the ilk, the DoD of the US government will most likely be one of the factions trying to steal and control Stark Tech. I just can’t imagine that Rhodey will be able to do everything possible to keep Tony’s wishes that no government should control the armor tech without being at first threatened with USAF (or whatever official title/rank) he holds to eventually just going full on order disobedience. Again, that’s just my take from what could be gleamed from the comic run. I do hope that Paltrow gets some suit time as I don’t hate her as Pepper and she would undoubtedly want to protect the legacy.

I would love to see a diecast Silver Centurion. Always my favorite armor because of the non traditional silver and red color combo. Only thing was I wish they had used more silver in the movie to pay more homage to the comics it was taken from.

Totally agreed that SC Mk. XXXIII could use more silver in its color scheme but I actually think with a brighter, dare I say more chrome-y silver, would actually help quite a bit. Because the old style engineering processes gave us the original SC, not necessarily that it wasn?t in the diecast line, posing was limited as was the paint applications. I really don?t see this ever being refreshed or remade but if so, I would imagine that the figure would be better. Owning both this and Mk. XXX Blue Steel, I choose Blue Steel 9 times out of 10 simply because of the unusual color palette. SC figure has more accessories, an additional head (or 2 if EX was snagged) and played a much more important role in IM3 (actually should have been much better shown off as per my explanation) but the figure left a bunch to be desired.

And you know what punisher1974, they made almost the entire helmet of Blue Steel silver which should have been done on SC, so you are absolutely right. It doesn?t just need a brighter silver, it needed MOAR silver!
F9E92EFD-89CC-45C2-A684-2F9747CEF5A0.jpeg

Python is still my favorite of the HPP, but I'd hate for them to waste any time on rereleases. Do suits they haven't released yet, and do them in plastic. I'd especially hate for them to port over parts from the DC Mk7, I have the new Midas because I got it for basically nothing, I still dislike how bad the torso proportions are is thanks to the pod nonsense from the Mk7 release. If the Mk3 has taught us anything is that HT's dumb design choices can propagate over and over again given their unwillingness to start from scratch on anything, the last thing I want is a new batch of misshapen HPP diecast suits with Mk7 torsos and $400 price tags

slHvBpe.jpg

Totally agreed that SC Mk. XXXIII could use more silver in its color scheme but I actually think with a brighter, dare I say more chrome-y silver, would actually help quite a bit. Because the old style engineering processes gave us the original SC, not necessarily that it wasn?t in the diecast line, posing was limited as was the paint applications. I really don?t see this ever being refreshed or remade but if so, I would imagine that the figure would be better. Owning both this and Mk. XXX Blue Steel, I choose Blue Steel 9 times out of 10 simply because of the unusual color palette. SC figure has more accessories, an additional head (or 2 if EX was snagged) and played a much more important role in IM3 (actually should have been much better shown off as per my explanation) but the figure left a bunch to be desired.

And you know what punisher1974, they made almost the entire helmet of Blue Steel silver which should have been done on SC, so you are absolutely right. It doesn?t just need a brighter silver, it needed MOAR silver!
View attachment 507891

I like the blue steel version too. I never was able to pick him up but he really looks sharp. I love how that blue pops on him. After searching for years I was able to get this poster a few weeks ago of my favorite armor and by my favorite artist in mint condition. tumblr_ooms5zTF2A1refsh5o1_r1_1280.jpg

Back