Iron Giant Figure by Mondo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea..I'm still a huge Fan...just would have been great for a Hell Yea!!!! Kinda review.
As opposed to....um...idunno...ahh..it's nice but...ahhh...idunno..kinda review.
Kinda getting tired opening up $300+ figures to lackluster enthusiasm... I just did this with a $300 3a THUG figure... just meh...$300 meh

Oh no. I would love a great Iron Giant figure but I guess this won't be the one. Lack of ankle-tilt is a total dealbreaker. Would pay $150 maximum, so I'd be okay breaking it to try and mod the ankles. The bulb in the head also seems pretty crude.

Lack of ankle articulation is a bummer, and I'd rather this didn't have any electronics and would therefore be cheaper.

That said, I'm still super excited for this one. Now all I need to do is figure out how to not burst into tears whenever I see him on the shelf.

Ankle articulation would be great but fortunately for me the poses I have in mind don't require it.
I just hope his finger joints are tight enough to hold some scale model cars. :)

Coworker brought his in today
12141564_10153600206108565_4512095943283566857_n.jpg

So it looks like Sideshow is shipping, and possibly other retailers, but no word for those who ordered from Mondo. Supwidat.

I'm looking forward to getting this, but it's a little ridiculous that ordering from Mondo doesn't guarantee you get it first.

I'm looking forward to getting this, but it's a little ridiculous that ordering from Mondo doesn't guarantee you get it first.

I completely agree. I am done with Mondo after this. I bought directly within 2 minutes of it going live, did not get the exclusive due to their wonky website and they have sat on my money for a year with few updates. Now everyone else is getting these and I am told to be thrilled that I may have mine in 2 weeks. Shame on you Mondo.

I was lucky to have somehow gotten through on their site in time to get the EX, which is rare for me. At least when you pay in advance to a company like Threezero you are the first to get the product. Buying directly from a company and seeing other companies get the product out first is really irritating.

I fantasize about Mondo throwing in a free poster for our troubles, but I can't imagine that actually happening. I too was a day one preorder and if I'd known it would have been available somewhere else like Sideshow where I can get rewards points and have it sooner that's what I would have gone with.

As a side note - I see in the unboxing review video that the shipping box is marked #314 of 608... I hadn't heard any production numbers before, is that what the run size is? 608 units?

I sincerely hope that Mondo learns from this experience. The customers who buys from their webside, pay in advance, you need to keep them updated and you need to make them feel special. Then, they will come back.
Their costumer service person need to take a course.
This whole experience has been one big mess. No updates. Nothing special for those who paid full in advance. I used to buy directly from Mondo, but now I buy from other dealers when possible.
If they had aced this, they could have gotten 100's of dedicated fans who would not hesitate to order from them again.
But they didn't

I sincerely hope that Mondo learns from this experience. The customers who buys from their webside, pay in advance, you need to keep them updated and you need to make them feel special. Then, they will come back.
Their costumer service person need to take a course.
This whole experience has been one big mess. No updates. Nothing special for those who paid full in advance. I used to buy directly from Mondo, but now I buy from other dealers when possible.
If they had aced this, they could have gotten 100's of dedicated fans who would not hesitate to order from them again.
But they didn't

I couldn't agree more.

Received my figure today. It is great. Mine came from Sideshow and it did not have any issues whatsoever.
I did not see any instructions so I am being careful how I move the joints which are very stiff in the elbow and knees.

The sound is not perfect but it is okay since I won't be using it much. The lights are a nice touch.

I hope figure manufacturers like Hot Toys start including remotes that have multiple functions to match their figures with light and sounds.
It would be great to turn on the figures without having to take them out of the case and to choose which phrase or sound effect you want to hear at that moment.

Hope you guys like yours as much as I like mine.

Here's my quick little thoughts about my Iron Giant that just arrived. First let me say that I used to own the trendmasters Iron Giant and that was my most beloved favorite toy that to this day I am sad I Let Go. I often thought about me buying it but with the current prices trending between $200 and $300 I never took the plunge. My first reaction when I open this toy was the following. Although this is without a doubt the most accurate representation of The Iron Giant both in sculpt and in paint color I have to say figure is a huge disappointment to me. Here's why.

The toy is incredibly and I mean incredibly lightweight fragile and very very very cheap feeling. It uses the kind of hard plastic found in models and in fact feels like a model. In comparison to the trendmasters version although this one looks more accurate I personally much prefer the more solid and durable feeling of the trendmasters. Where the trendmasters was a toy and was built to hold up to children playing with it. This was clearly meant to be a display piece. And as such has very very lightweight and non-durable build quality. What makes it even more depressing to me is the fact that this cost several times more then that one. And in Truth because iron giant's design is so very simple there's not even a huge difference in any proportions or detail when comparing to trendmasters much larger much heavier version.

I would also say that the only difference is that this newer version has slightly and I mean slightly better joints but without any ankle articulation it doesn't even allow you to pose it in any position that Trend Masters couldn't do almost 20 years ago. In fact the trendmasters version actually had better Electronics allowing the head and mouth to move and it even has magnets so that Hogarth could sit on his shoulder and not fall off.. So in short although the presentation here is excellent with its box it's foam packing and its accessories the figure itself is simply a smaller lighter weight and cheaper feeling copy with I would say exact same details other than the head on this version is more accurate as is the color. If I didn't know what this cost it was handed to me I would think it was a $50 or maybe $80 figure. So if you're like me and you love Iron Giant this is really the only game in town other than hunting down the older version on eBay. If I had to do it again after holding and feeling him I can say I would not spend close to $300 for this.
For the money this needed to be made either entirely or partially with die-cast parts or substantially heavier denser plastic. Also worthy of noting is the fact that this was made with a matte finish that is very very very very easy to mark and to scratch and will show ware very easily.

Also not to be a total Downer but even the fine details are not that good meaning mine has several spots of flashing still visible and the seems of the parts that hold him together in all areas do not fit very well. As an example if you've ever held a Japanese diecast figure like bandai 's chogokin c3po the difference in craftsmanship materials in the high level of fit and finish is like comparing the finest Mercedes ever made to a cheap budget Yugo.

I know none of this sounds very good and if you are happy with yours I think that's fantastic but in this day in age with companies like hot toys producing figures at this price range this first effort from this company isnt even in the ballpark in fact it's not even in the same hemisphere. could have been fixed by simply better craftsmanship much better materials or leaving it as-is selling it for several hundred dollars less period. Its a classic case where the presentation is actually better than the actual item your paying for.
If you think about the fact that hot toys can produce a diecast Iron Man for around the same price it simply is mind-boggling that this cost what it does.
My diecast Iron Man from Hot Toys was exactly $9 more than this and the comparisons between the two are Beyond laughable. The hot toys again is like a fine Swiss watch with paint applications as good as the finest automobile fantastic engineering and insane build quality. This has none of that anywhere. In fact the only thing this did better than hot toys was a little bit in the Box presentation

So in the end I'm happy to have an Iron Giant in my collection but if I had the choice of buying this for $300 or buying the old version for Less I would probably buy the older version.
With a name like Iron Giant and a price tag of $300 this should have been diecast. That one change would have changed everything. The quality would have been There..the feel would have been right and it would have Justified the price. Without those things I could see a model kit being put together and painted costing $40-$50 that would end up being just like this. So yeah kind of bummed.

I know that this was a rather long rant and review but lately my collecting habits has started to change mostly because of items like this. It used to be I collected things that I loved and I mostly still do. But I've gotten to the point where I just can't collect something I love if at the same time I feel let down or that I'm being taking advantage of buy companies who like to screw collectors. When I see what companies like neca produce for a fraction of the price..... ( 1/4 scale aliens..predators...Pacific rim...Batman...etc)... all with incredible details paint applications and fantastic build quality all for $99. High end over price items like this just get me angry. So I started collecting things that I love of course but that also are worth the money. The same day this arrived my 18 inch jungle Predator arrived. Let's just say I was overwhelmed with how awesome that piece was but completely saddened with this one. So I may like Iron Giant as a property more, but I'm going to spend more of my time and effort on things that I like and are also worth the asking price.

Back