IrishJedi.... HD Nut

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I jumped on that HD-DVD Toshiba deal on Amazon a week or so back with many of you. I also used a Gift Card to order a PS3, so I'll soon have a Blu-Ray player as well. :rock

So, including all of the freebie discs (16 total!) and some impulse buys I already have or have pre-ordered the following HD titles:

HEROES: Season One [HD-DVD]
BATMAN BEGINS [HD-DVD]
300 [HD-DVD]
THE FOUNTAIN [HD-DVD]
TMNT [HD-DVD]
V FOR VENDETTA [HD-DVD]
CASABLANCA [HD-DVD]
APOLLO 13 [HD-DVD]
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW [HD-DVD]
U2: RATTLE AND HUM [HD-DVD]
WE WERE SOLDIERS [HD-DVD]
POTC: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL [Blu-Ray]
POTC: DEAD MAN'S CHEST [Blu-Ray]
THE DEPARTED [Blu-Ray]
PEARL HARBOR [Blu-Ray]
CORPSE BRIDE [Blu-Ray]
UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION [Blu-Ray]
BLACK RAIN [Blu-Ray]
SPECIES [Blu-Ray]

ON PRE-ORDER:

TROY (Director's Cut) [HD-DVD]
THE LAST STARFIGHTER [HD-DVD]
WYATT EARP [HD-DVD]
UNDERWORLD (Unrated) [Blu-Ray]
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA [Blu-Ray]
TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE [HD-DVD]
HALLOWEEN [Blu-Ray]
MASTER AND COMMANDER [Blu-Ray]
ROBOCOP [Blu-Ray]
SPIDER-MAN TRILOGY [Blu-Ray]
TRANSFORMERS [HD-DVD]
PIXAR SHORT FILMS COLLECTION [Blu-Ray]
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: 30th ANNIVERSARY [Blu-Ray]
POTC: AT WORLD'S END [Blu-Ray]
BLADE RUNNER ULTIMATE COLLECTION [HD-DVD]

Yikes! I'm addicted already! :google

And I counted... that's 17 HD-DVD titles and 15 Blu-Ray. Nice balance. ;)

Net Flix is my friend.

Another blow to Blu-Ray, but it looks like once again, the HD-DVD versions of Harry Potter movies when released by Warner will have the IMEs. Blu-Rays get stuck once again without them. Guess which version I'll be getting . . .

In-Movie Experience. They did the same thing between the BD vs HD-DVD releases of 300.

Yep. Nowadays, IME or any PIP features is the thing to beat on any HD releases. I refuse to double dip (from my old DVD) unless the HD version sports features like this.

agreed that PQ and AQ are the most important. But I love a good set of extras as well. Commentaries, documentaries, etc are like candy to me... i can't get enough!

however, the amount of extras on a disc should never affect picture and audio quality.

agreed that PQ and AQ are the most important. But I love a good set of extras as well. Commentaries, documentaries, etc are like candy to me... i can't get enough!

however, the amount of extras on a disc should never affect picture and audio quality.

Not true... think about space on a disc.

I have over 2,000 DVDs. No, I won't be replacing ALL of them in HD (thankfully, I'll live with backwards-compatibility and upscaling for most of them) but key ones I will. And I'm going to start buying new releases in HD, going forward.

DarkKnight2k4, since the ex-wife commandeered my 65" Hitachi (not that I'd have room for it right now anyway) I'm going with a 32" 1080p LCD with 1500:1 Contrast Ratio. Works just fine. :rock

:google

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! 2,000 DVD's????!! You live in a video store?

wasn't part of the reason for the high definition technology to create a disc that had enough available space to not only provide the best picture and sound quality, but ALSO include a wide array of extras that would not have been possible in standard definition?

Back