Invincible (Image Comics) - Amazon Prime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about anyone else, but the reason I won't watch is cause if I see one more super hero TV show or movie I'll ****ing puke.

This isn't like anything else out there. I wouldn't even compare it to The Boys.

If I see one more show or movie set in the real world I'll ****ing puke.

And how, pray tell, is it so radically different from the other three dozen super hero TV shows on the air right now?

And how, pray tell, is it so radically different from the other three dozen super hero TV shows on the air right now?

Because it is? I'm can't tell you that without spoiling anything, so I'm not going to.

Who cares if there's other shows with superheroes, doesn't mean it can't be good.

Don't know about anyone else, but the reason I won't watch is cause if I see one more super hero TV show or movie I'll ****ing puke.

This one is well done satire and subverts the genre without trying too hard. There's a ... tone ... involved that seems very familiar until it goes to Krazy Towne.

I thought it was another run of the mill hero show at first with little knowledge and then the final scene happened in the first episode and I was floored

I thought it was another run of the mill hero show at first with little knowledge and then the final scene happened in the first episode and I was floored

OK, so like a Ned Stark's head kinda thing?

I can respect that.

All right....I'm a man of my word, and I watched the first episode.

I'm sorry fellas....I tried. I gave it a shot, and it was not even remotely interesting. Not even slightly.

First of all, the animation is piss poor. Secondly, every single trope in this story has been done before, and done better.

I've been reading super hero comics since the early 1980s. I've been an anime fan since the late 80s. Unfortunately, I've just seen and read it all. There's nothing left. I'm afraid the well has been sucked dry.

The god tier guys like Moore, Gaiman, Miller, and Morrison have done everything possible with super heroes, and then the next level guys, really brilliant writers like Ennis, Ellis, and Mark Millar have done all the rest.

There's just nothing here.

If you haven't already read Millar's "Jupiter's Legacy" and you watch the TV show when it comes out, you'll see that this is almost the same plot.

Same with The Boys...shares a lot of elements.

Sorry to piss in everyone's cheerios AGAIN, but I'm afraid this did nothing for me. I don't want to ruin anyone else's enjoyment though. If you dig it, if you ahve a good time watching it, that's awesome. Please keep watching it and enjoying it....same with the Marvel stuff.

Other than enjoying my old nostalgic favorites that I love so much they've become part of my DNA, I'm afraid I just can't get into super hero stuff anymore. I suppose that's the downside to voraciously consuming the media of this genre for the better part of my life. Nothing is able to surprise or impress me.

It's cool that you tried it out even though you weren't excited about it. I like the other material you compared it to as well, the Boys and Jupiter's legacy (really hope the show is good). Wonder if you you might have liked Invincible more if you would have read it first since it is the older series.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

The tropes are the point. It's supposed to make you think it's another run of the mill Superhero cartoon. After the ending of the first episode it's no longer that.

Also this existed 10 years before whatever Jupiters Legacy is.

But to each their own.

Well I admitted that it's my own fault for just plain reading too many damn comic books my whole life.

I'm not saying that someone who's just getting into the genre through Marvel or otherwise wouldn't watch this and their jaw hits the floor.

Although I did see Seth Rogan's name attached to it, and in my opinion that's a bad sign. I absolutely refused to watch his bastardized version of Preacher and I'm damn glad I did. I can always preserve it in my mind the way it was....it was already perfect as a comic book.

I was aware of the Invincible comic, I just never read it. Actually I don't think I've ever read anything by Kirkman cause I was just about out of reading comics when he hit the scene. I never read or watched Walking Dead cause I don't like the zombie genre. (Super heroes I at least used to love; zombies I've always disliked.)

The tropes are the point. It's supposed to make you think it's another run of the mill Superhero cartoon. After the ending of the first episode it's no longer that.

Also this existed 10 years before whatever Jupiters Legacy is.

But to each their own.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to earlier about a "certain tone". Right down to the animation style. I do see some similarities to The Boys but I was exposed to Kirkman's comic before that and have no idea what 'Jupiter's Legacy' is so I guess I went in primed.

I won't spoil it but Jupiter's Legacy is very, very similar right down to the plot and characters.

It was a very medicore book too; it basically felt like a movie pitch rather than a comic book, and that's essentially what ALL Mark Millar books are now. Just illustrated Netflix options.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to earlier about a "certain tone". Right down to the animation style. I do see some similarities to The Boys but I was exposed to Kirkman's comic before that and have no idea what 'Jupiter's Legacy' is so I guess I went in primed.

I googled it and Invincible was first published in 2003, Jupiters Legacy was 2013, so if they're the exact same thing then Invincible is the original

I won't spoil it but Jupiter's Legacy is very, very similar right down to the plot and characters.

It was a very medicore book too; it basically felt like a movie pitch rather than a comic book, and that's essentially what ALL Mark Millar books are now. Just illustrated Netflix options.

That’s what most writers are doing, they’re angling for movie and streaming deals vs. writing something that’s readable

Maybe it's because others have copied it since but I just started reading this and don't see what the fuss is about. Kinda reminds me of saga in the tone and humour but it doesn't seem as amazing as people say

Now I know why I thought this was so familiar and well-worn....in addition to all the other titles, there was also a series called Irredeemable/Incorruptible by Mark Waid that also came out in the 2000s. Not only is the name almost the same as Invincible, the plot is also identical. (It also has a movie deal.)

Seems like a lot of guys thought they were being really edgy edgelords at the time but they were all basically writing the same exact book.

Back