• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

International Selling - Inquiry

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bum

Pirate Ninja
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not selling anything in this thread, but i need your opinion.
I've shipped primarily to domestic locations to our members here, and on occasion to Canada and the UK. I have never had much, if any, issue with those transactions.

However, at the same token, when I filled out customs forms and quoted shipping, I've kept it consistent where the costs reflect what is put on the customs forms. I've never had an issue.

I've recently been asked to mark the value of an item lesser than what is actually is.

That would cause an issue should:
-there might be a damaged part or whole item and insurance would need to be paid out

-actual assessment of insurance

-legality of what I think would be falsification of a government document, etc etc.

What are your thoughts on how to proceed?
I already know where I stand, but wanted to get an idea from out there.

Non-US domestic folks, please also respond on what the customs charges are like for you because i've never had to deal with that, how you feel about actual versus non-actual customs value, etc.

Hey Bum,

Here in the UK customs will seize and charge us (the buyer) for anything over £35/$55 and that INCLUDES the amount it cost to ship the item!
I have bought many of items from overseas, not just from forums and Ebay, but also from dealers etc in places like USA and Hong Kong. I always ask if they are willing to disclose a lesser amount on the shipping form as this prevents seizure and further charges. Majority of the time they are happy to do this as long as I am on the understanding that should the item be lost or damaged then they (the sender) are not at fault and no money charges can be brought against them as they would not be able to claim for the FULL value back.

Hope this helps a little?

Cheers,
Smally.

Basically by undervaluing the item you could be held liable if it ends up damaged since you can't insure something for more than the declared value. In an effort to help someone out you could get burned very easily... maybe okay to do for someone you know and trust but not so good for random buyer on eBay. Especially given that sellers can't even leave negative feedback who do you think Paypal would side with if something like this happened?

Also, there is the illegality issue that to undervalue an item is fraud... same as marking it a gift when its not.

I used to be pretty flexible about stuff like that a few years back, but I've heard too many horror stories that I've become a goodnick when it comes to shipping :lol

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I mark down for others and others do it for me. HOWEVER, the buyer must understand that it is at their own risk if something should go wrong.

Hey Bum,

Here in the UK customs will seize and charge us (the buyer) for anything over £35/$55 and that INCLUDES the amount it cost to ship the item!
I have bought many of items from overseas, not just from forums and Ebay, but also from dealers etc in places like USA and Hong Kong. I always ask if they are willing to disclose a lesser amount on the shipping form as this prevents seizure and further charges. Majority of the time they are happy to do this as long as I am on the understanding that should the item be lost or damaged then they (the sender) are not at fault and no money charges can be brought against them as they would not be able to claim for the FULL value back.

Hope this helps a little?

Cheers,
Smally.

A Kurgan who worries about laws?
:slap

:wave

Basically by undervaluing the item you could be held liable if it ends up damaged since you can't insure something for more than the declared value. In an effort to help someone out you could get burned very easily... maybe okay to do for
someone you know and trust but not so good for random buyer on eBay. Especially given that sellers can't even leave negative feedback who do you think Paypal would side with if something like this happened?

Also, there is the illegality issue that to undervalue an item is fraud... same as marking it a gift when its not.

I used to be pretty flexible about stuff like that a few years back, but I've heard too many horror stories that I've become a goodnick when it comes to shipping :lol

I agree with what the rest have posted. If it's for a freak I know, I'll mark it down and gift it. Other freaks i don't unless they request for it specifically and understand the risk involved. Even then I never deal with freaks with less than 10 on the feedback thread.

Too much BS been going on lately.

eBay, it's full price cos insurance is mandatory with paypal and eBay now.

For my personal purchases I norm ask for it to be insured so it's not a biggie for me.

Just my 2 cents.

A Kurgan who worries about laws?
:slap

:wave

Eh, I don't care too much about the law aspect of it... but he did ask the question. Mostly in life I'd rather burn out than fade way, but still not get burned by eBay buyers :lecture :rock :rock :rock

Haha. I was not implying I was a kurgan, I was just wondering about galactiboy.

So stop wheezing off my juice buuuuudddy.

Sorry, Balsquat... U = NOT a Kurgan!.. :nono

WannaKurgan maybe...:nana:

Kurgans are what they are......Born .. NOT made!! ...:lecture

Eh, I don't care too much about the law aspect of it... but he did ask the question. Mostly in life I'd rather burn out than fade way, but still not get burned by eBay buyers :lecture :rock :rock :rock

hahah. Fair enough. Those cheating ebayers will one day know the taste of yor blade :)

I have really appreciated the kindness of overseas board members who have marked stuff down for me in the past. Customs charges here in the UK can be ridiculous, and I don't honestly see the fairness of such charges on the kind of purchases I make (usually second hand 1/6 figures). I have never had a parcel sent to me that was marked down go missing.

I can however see the flipside of this; I sent about £120 worth of stuff to a boardie in the US last year. I didn't send it insured as he had haggled me down and I really needed to save money (was saving to pay for my wedding). Of course the parcel went missing and I ended up refunding the boardie and losing the items forever :(. I now insist on insurance for items I sent over £100 in value and would thus have to fill in the customs form accurately.

As a buyer and seller on these boards, who has had international business dealings with other board members, I would advise you to mark down the items as requested.

However, when doing so, make sure the buyer understands that you can't and won't be held liable for any problems or damage, and that insurance will be lower than the item's actual value (or even non-existent). As long as the customer confirms that he's fine with this, then you shouldn't have any problems.

I've found other members are fine with this, and actually prefer it, because it keeps the cost down for everyone involved. Insurance and shipping issues happen so rarely that it often isn't worth the cost of marking the item's true value (just to keep the insurance at full value), since that adds extra charges on top of the base insurance cost. (Mathematically, then, it's a poor deal for everyone involved).

Ebay's a different story. It's so anti-buyer that I wouldn't risk it, since you'll want full insurance, no matter what.

Remember, why is it that we buy and sell on these boards, rather than Ebay? Not just because it's good to have a community and get to know those we do business with, but because everyone wants to keep costs down. This is one of the many methods that benefit all of us.

*edit* regardless of marked down or not, remember to get tracking. That is essential. :D

*edit* regardless of marked down or not, remember to get tracking. That is essential. :D

:lecture You took the words out of my mouth! I always mark stuff down for customs but explain about invalidating insurance etc BUT, I always get the tracking number!!! :lecture

Thx to all International boardies that have done for me BTW!! :duff

Well, here in Norway we have to pay customs if the value is more then around 33$/25 euro including shipping these days. Then they will add about 25% of the value(including shipping) in customs plus around 10$ for declaring the package.

Kinda expensive hobby living up here when most sellers are located in America. It doesnt get much better when it feels like the sellers in Europe charge more for the item without shipping then sellers in America including shipping ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back