Indy Gear… Custom belts/holsters & whips

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mr. Fisher,

I am inquiring about the full leather indy gear you have made per order. I would like to know if it's still available.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, I know mfisher is leaving the hobby for a while..
so if anyone have Mfisher belt and holster that you want to sell??, pls pm me :duff

I'm bumping as well. Latecomer to the hobby and was told I need to track down an M Fisher whip! If anyone has a line on one, please drop me a line! Thanks!

Apologies for the late responses. I am currently building a few gear sets I hope to ship out by the end of the weekend. After that I may take a few more.. just did not want to get too far behind as I won't rush an order - reducing the quality of detail etc... Happy to do a few more though once I hurdle these.

Been home this week.. (out sick actually).. The only good news is that I fully expect to have ALL orders which have been made up until this point will be shipped by Friday.... and for the heck of it.. Here's a shot of the works in progress... A number of Raiders sets as always.. but a Last Crusade set was ordered as well.. Haven't done one of those in a while...
IMG_8347.jpg

IMG_8348.jpg

Ive long since considered that I may at some point put up a youtube channel with how to videos on building this gear... Ive been at it now for well over ten years.. Happy to still make this stuff, but alas, I find the time to produce gear dwindles and dwindles over the years... Between work and raising two kids its just hard to get the stuff put out in as timely a fashion as I would like.. Granted I average about a month turnaround these days.. but still... Ive seen a handful of others spring up here and there with the drive to build gear for sale.. and despite it having taken me this long to perfect my craft.. I may be leaking my "secrets" for the community... just because... Plus Im a bit tired and very eager to work on more of my own project wish list!.. I have BINS of projects that were once started and never completed.. Which is a shame.. my recent Cairo Swordsman project had me really wanting to get in the shop and do more for my own shelves... I had started that figure at least 7 years ago... seriously..

Anyway... as a start.. here's some baby steps in how the belts are made...

Once the belt body is cut to width so they fit inside the buckle width they have to be stamp cut for the buckle to seat..
IMG_8349.jpg

Then the buckles are loosely set into the bend of the leather.
IMG_8350.jpg

Now the leather is wrapped over tightly and a pen vise drill is used to make the initial holes the thread will run through to sew the buckle into place.
IMG_8351.jpg

Now I have to sew the buckle down... Zzzzzzzzz ( I genuinely hate the sewing part of this stuff ! ) :impatient:

This is where video would help.. but sewing is just that.. sewing.. and dreadfully dull.. One thing important to note in the below photo of the belts with the buckles now stitched on.. the belt to the far left of the photo is turned over so you can see the backside.. you have to make sure you have enough excess folded around when sewing the buckle on to have room to stitch on the belt keeper (metal for Raiders, leather for all other versions).. Whats left after that will be trimmed off.

IMG_8352.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a funny secret to my belts...... well, at least the Raiders belts... They've all got a little bit of Christmas in them... :cuckoo: No.. not crazy....
See this Christmas ornament ? Its some kind of shiny metallic material that is twisted into an icicle shape... Ten years ago when I was brainstorming about how to build these gear sets I needed something to fashion the belt keeper that sits right behind the buckle on the Raiders belt... Thats when I took one of these suckers and flattened it out and cut it into strips... sure enough.. it worked... Granted I pulled all of these out of the Christmas decor storage box and squirreled them away in my workshop.. and when I run out of ornaments I will drop back and punt :lol But until then I'm good for at least another 50 or so belts !

IMG_8354.jpg

So yeah.. as said, I flatten the twists out of the ornament with the handle of any tool laying about..

IMG_8355.jpg

Then I carefully trim off a sliver in a slim width with scissors. (if the cut isn't perfect, no big deal, I'll sand them flat later)

IMG_8357.jpg

Then I cut the long sliver into short pieces for each belt.

IMG_8358.jpg

Next they get bent to shape with needle nose pliers to form the appropriately sized rectangle belt keeper.

IMG_8359.jpg

Once I get that I run it in circles over fine grit sand paper to smooth out the rough edges and square it up a bit.

IMG_8360.jpg

Then it is slipped over the belt and pushed up as close as possible to the buckle, with that excess leather on the underside of the belt sandwiching the belt keeper. Stitch it just like you did the buckle.. now trim the excess leather from underneath... and done..

IMG_8363.jpg

IMG_8364.jpg

Last edited:
Back