Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't joke/scare me like that. :lol Too many people actually do think those are aliens at the end of A.I., thus losing sight of the entire theme of the film and what it's about. It's a completely misunderstood masterpiece.

Don't joke/scare me like that. :lol Too many people actually do think those are aliens at the end of A.I., thus losing sight of the entire theme of the film and what it's about. It's a completely misunderstood masterpiece.

A true case of "to each their own." I will never understand why you hold that movie in such high regard. :lol

Don't compare my beloved A.I. to that mainstream pap, sir! :lecture

:lol :duff

Just in the sense that while I deem them "ho-hum," some people think certain movies are the greatest flicks since the invention of technicolor. AI was a bit too cerebral and condensed for me to enjoy as a film as it seems like there's more to the story than what we see on screen (is there a novelization?). And while I thought Avatar was a fun film, I'm baffled at those who thought it was worthy of fanboy trouser creampies. :dunno

Just in the sense that while I deem them "ho-hum," some people think certain movies are the greatest flicks since the invention of technicolor. AI was a bit too cerebral and condensed for me to enjoy as a film as it seems like there's more to the story than what we see on screen (is there a novelization?). And while I thought Avatar was a fun film, I'm baffled at those who thought it was worthy of fanboy trouser creampies. :dunno

All fair and good. And we agree 100% on AVATAR.

No novelization for A.I. It's just one of those rare movies that has to be dissected and analyzed (usually upon multiple viewings for some) to be fully understood and appreciated. And I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, which is totally cool. :duff

My tea as well, Irish. Loved it in the kind of bittersweet way I love Blade Runner. The question it raised was profound, can humanity express empathy for something they know to be false.
Back to KOTCS, I sure hope they make another if only to take the character a bit more seriously this time. Raiders and Doom I think most will agree, had that perfect balance of comedy and real world suspense. Dialogue helped a great deal. God, why can't Lawrence Kasdan unthaw himself and help uncle George out with his lines! That fellow can write....

All fair and good. And we agree 100% on AVATAR.

I've seen you and a few others here work to perpetuate the myth that Avatar has this sad following of blue paint-wearing spouse-leaving fools but I've seen nothing to actually support those claims in "real life" (unlike, say Twilight for which I see die hards outside of the net). I think more than likely a couple of clever rabblerousers made some posts about wanting to move to Pandora as a joke and a lot of people bought it. You're kidding yourself if you don't think people get a kick out of doing just that.

I just don't see the alleged fandom, or even talk of the existence of these so called "avatards" on other movie forums. I'm not saying people haven't gone to the theater in costume, but moreso than any other sci-fi/fantasy flick? I doubt it.

Lucas is a stubborn old fool. Darabont and Koepp are great writers too, but Lucas insisted on some silly plot points and sequences. There's just so much you can do when your hands are tied like that.

Ugh. Don't even get me started about the SW prequels. I'm positive any of Hollywood's top screenwriters would have done the movies for free if it meant working on such a beloved franchise. But Lucas was stubborn in insisting he do it all himself with just some minor script polishes.

Anyway, I enjoyed KOTCS. I'm not sweating the small stuff with it, just going for the ride. It was great to see Ford in a role that suits him perfectly, especially after all his recent work. For a long time I had formulated a story for the eventual sequel to LC, and I think I had the better ideas than what we saw in the movie! But I have a good time when I watch it. I loved the greaser/jock fight and car chase. And I really liked the opening of the temple where they had to pull the stones out to make the sand pour out. I thought that whole sequence was pretty great, especially the music.

I just don't see the alleged fandom, or even talk of the existence of these so called "avatards" on other movie forums. I'm not saying people haven't gone to the theater in costume, but moreso than any other sci-fi/fantasy flick? I doubt it.

There were plenty of "avatards" in the movie thread in Aliens & Robots fully declaring Avatar the greatest movie of all time, completely revolutionary, Jim Cameron's the greatest director period, blah blah blah. You were right there posting in the same thread so I know you saw it too. :lol

Not to mention do a youtube search of people dressed as Avatar things that were put up well after the movie came out.

:impatient:
There were plenty of "avatards" in the movie thread in Aliens & Robots fully declaring Avatar the greatest movie of all time, completely revolutionary, Jim Cameron's the greatest director period, blah blah blah. You were right there posting in the same thread so I know you saw it too. :lol
Again, you say this but I'm just not seeing it. One grammatically challenged kid getting offended by naysayers doesn't exactly qualify as a legion of Avatar/Cameron worshippers.

After that though, the movie just meanders, like an old man taking a leisurely stroll. Nothing seems terribly important or urgent, and there's never a sense of any real danger. Being stuck in that same South American jungle for the second and third acts makes the whole affair terribly uninteresting, and watching a crowd of geriatrics shuffle out of a church is kind of a sad sendoff to the greatest action adventure hero of the 80's.

I loved KOTCS up until they went into the jungle - in fact I stayed relatively spoiler free when I went to the theatres and knew that it was getting some bad press but didn't know why - up until they arrived in South America I thought people were just being nitpicky.

The first half hour or so was really nicely done, the Red Menace element was played near-perfect. :clap It was actually pretty touching for me to watch Indy himself not be immune to McCarthyism and the paranoia of the time.

James Cameron is actually the biggest Avatard there is. :lecture

Dude thinks he can solve the Gulf crisis himself. :slap

Thats true but I'd still feel a bit more comfortable sitting next to a stormtrooper then a 40 year old naked man covered in blue paint and glitter and sporting fangs. :lol

A guy? Sure. BUT remember that or every "Yin" there is a "Yang" and just like we have hot SW Cosplayers every now and then, the Avatar crowd brings theirs out as well. If I sat next to this:

2446720.jpg

I'd be interested to see just how blue she is and where. :naughty:

A guy? Sure. BUT remember that or every "Yin" there is a "Yang" and just like we have hot SW Cosplayers every now and then, the Avatar crowd brings theirs out as well. If I sat next to this:

2446720.jpg

Just don't cry when she wants to rub her fake tail over you and have tantric sex, leaving your balls the same color as her make-up.

Thats true but I'd still feel a bit more comfortable sitting next to a stormtrooper then a 40 year old naked man covered in blue paint and glitter and sporting fangs. :lol

This is true. :lol

2446720.jpg

You and me both. :lol

Back