Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indiana Jones 5 (July 19th, 2019)

If Kennedy says they move on without George then they'll definitely move on without him. But that wouldn't necessarily stop Spielberg from saying something like "if you want me to direct this then we have to do the story my buddy George agrees to." Then things could get messy.

Very true. Spielberg was loyal to Lucas throughout all the backlash for CS to a fault. He took the blame for "nukeing the fridge" even though it's been documented that it was Lucas's idea all along. He's also been very vocal about disliking the aliens idea but did it anyway because of his loyalty to Lucas.

Still, I'm hoping Spielberg will look at the bigger picture and keep the project going even if it means it's without Lucas. Spielberg can just look at it as being loyal to Kennedy whom he's had a very successful professional partnership for most of their careers, and of course Ford.

Actually, I'm happy that George is still around.
But I'd rather have him writing the story. He's good at that. Let him come up with the story and let someone else write the script.

I also agree with that. Aliens weren't the problem in KOTCS. Neither was Shia. I mostly dislike the jungle action sequences. You know.... The action scenes in the action movie that people see for the action. But apart from dumb crotch jokes, Tarzan vine swinging, and Karen Allen's lack of ability to act like Marion I like KOTCS. It's on par with LC for me.

I just realized this movie's release is going to mess up my Indiana Jones collection and I'll have all the Hasbro action figures with no figures to represent this fifth installment in the series.

:gah:

The title of "executive producer" doesn't mean much a lot of the times, so hopefully the group won't get into a stalemate with Lucas if he decides to dig his heels in on another crazy idea. If he does, they might be able to just go over his head and move on without him if that's what it comes to.

Yeah, it's a pretty good cage really. He controls some of the money but at least it doesn't seem that he'll be writing any of it.

Indiana Jones 5 won't feature Shia LaBeouf's character

https://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/

Will an Indiana Jones protege soon snatch the iconic wide-brimmed fedora from atop Harrison Ford’s head? Perhaps, but it won’t be Mutt Williams — a.k.a. Indy’s son, Henry Jones III — the character Shia LaBeouf played in 2008’s Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

“Harrison plays Indiana Jones, that I can certainly say,” screenwriter David Koepp, who has penned a script for the fifth film in the storied Indiana Jones franchise, tells EW. “And the Shia LaBeouf character is not in the film.”

Koepp’s confirmation follows wide speculation that Ford, who originated the role of the globetrotting adventurer in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark, would eventually abdicate his throne to a younger actor as the series progressed under Steven Spielberg’s direction. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull‘s ending even teased LaBeouf’s character’s potential future in the series, with a closing scene that saw the iconic headpiece ride a breeze and land at the Even Stevens actor’s feet, before Ford swooped in to grab it out of his hands and place it back on his own head.

While Mutt won’t be embarking on any perilous journeys alongside his father any time soon, Koepp says he and Spielberg are largely satisfied with the current version of the screenplay, and production could begin in the near future.

“We’re plugging away at it. In terms of when we would start, I think that’s up to Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Ford,” he continues, playfully teasing that the plot will involve “some precious artifact that they’re all looking for” throughout the film. “I know we’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with. Work will be endless, of course, and ongoing, and Steven just finished shooting The Post …. If the stars align, hopefully it’ll be his next film.”

After appearing in Crystal Skull, LaBeouf, whose representatives did not return EW’s request for comment, criticized the production in a 2010 interview with the Los Angeles Times. He told the paper he felt as if he “dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished,” and that Ford wasn’t happy with the film either. Ford later responded by calling his costar a “f—g idiot” for his comments.

Honestly, of all the problems that KOTCS had, Labuff wasn't one of them. He had nothing to do with the script, ALL of the cgi crap, Ford looking and acting old, giant man eating ants, monkeys, nuclear fridge , aliens, lack of danger, etc.

Honestly, of all the problems that KOTCS had, Labuff wasn't one of them. He had nothing to do with the script, ALL of the cgi crap, Ford looking and acting old, giant man eating ants, monkeys, nuclear fridge , aliens, lack of danger, etc.

I agree. I think they're hanging the blame on crazy Shia...

Now when this comes out another 11 years will have past, making old Ford in Crystal Skull look young by comparison. I was horribly against Crystal Skull from the moment it was announced. I am even more against this future turd. This will make the Warchowski Bros. disastrous Matrix 2 and 3 seem like Shakespeare by comparison.

This is the sadness cash grab of all.

Even Last Crusade will be 30 years old when this comes out. Unbelievable.

They "chose poorly" when they decided to continue the series after that.

And I totally think that Shia was a huge part of KOTCS sucking. The best part of the movie was Area 51 before he, Marion, and John Hurt showed up.

They "chose poorly" when they decided to continue the series after that.

And I totally think that Shia was a huge part of KOTCS sucking. The best part of the movie was Area 51 before he, Marion, and John Hurt showed up.

Maybe the character sucks or the way he was used in the story was pointless, but I didn't see anything wrong with his acting. It's not like Spielberg's annoying wife in TOD. She was annoying.

KOTCS follows the same blue print as the other movies but for reasons the magic was missing. Here are my reasons why it fell short….

Biggest Problem for me Indiana Jones – delivery of lines and timing (ie. “Part time”, Well the way you say your W’s, You want my help….or not)
Relationship with MAC? Who the **** was Mac. I know IJ for three movies but I cannot relate to Mac & IJ “after all this time” conversations.
IJ – looked too old and grumpy
IJ – Spying on the Reds, He’s a medaled soldier – Where the **** was this knowledge in the other movies (I could not relate)
Poor Soundtrack – no themes
Shia was cast because he was the hottest thing in Hollywood at that time (the go too actor – felt like a sellout) Even though their was nothing IMO wrong with his acting.
One of the best lines “What you say about my mother"
Relationship with Father worked in privies movie, let do relationship with son in this one
To many characters in the last half of KOTCS – IJ, Mutt, Marion, Mac and Oxley. Once their individual parts where done they just became baggage hanging around
Irina Spalko – Same clothing from beginning to end
After the global jumping of TLC, KOTCS seemed very small (low key)
Marion – aged poorly, crazy

Best line that captured IJ character and his age “Oh I thought that was closer"

They need to stop making these. Either reboot it with a younger actor for Indy or leave it alone.

Or at least do like with Star Wars and Blade Runner and give it to someone else to direct. Early 80's Spielberg no longer exists.

KOTCS follows the same blue print as the other movies but for reasons the magic was missing. Here are my reasons why it fell short….

Biggest Problem for me Indiana Jones – delivery of lines and timing (ie. “Part time”, Well the way you say your W’s, You want my help….or not)
Relationship with MAC? Who the **** was Mac. I know IJ for three movies but I cannot relate to Mac & IJ “after all this time” conversations.
IJ – looked too old and grumpy
IJ – Spying on the Reds, He’s a medaled soldier – Where the **** was this knowledge in the other movies (I could not relate)
Poor Soundtrack – no themes
Shia was cast because he was the hottest thing in Hollywood at that time (the go too actor – felt like a sellout) Even though their was nothing IMO wrong with his acting.
One of the best lines “What you say about my mother"
Relationship with Father worked in privies movie, let do relationship with son in this one
To many characters in the last half of KOTCS – IJ, Mutt, Marion, Mac and Oxley. Once their individual parts where done they just became baggage hanging around
Irina Spalko – Same clothing from beginning to end
After the global jumping of TLC, KOTCS seemed very small (low key)
Marion – aged poorly, crazy

Best line that captured IJ character and his age “Oh I thought that was closer"

I agree with everything.

I would also add a lack of danger, because the characters never seemed to be in threatened, because the situations were usually outrageous and the characters were too busy being humorous. The whole film feels like a theme park ride, and in some ways it was a ride, with zero consequences, suspense, or danger of any kind. Compare that film to Rambo 4, which came out the same year, and also features an old 80's icon, and you can tell that Indy 4 was too light, when the action sequences should've been more serious.

Or at least do like with Star Wars and Blade Runner and give it to someone else to direct. Early 80's Spielberg no longer exists.

best reason ever- too lazy and cliched by his own style but lacks the real drive to do something fantastic

Back