In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the real Indy is the one in Raiders, the other movies feel like versions from alternate universes, being Skull the oddest one. Skull is like an insult to historians and fans alike.

Bit of an older thread I know, but I stumbled onto it looking through this sub-forum. Figured it'd be the one to post in for rating the series.

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Last Crusade
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Temple Of Doom's always been my favorite, always will be.

1. Raiders: Love the whole movie. Archeology and adventuring.
2. Temple of doom: Great because it shows Indy just having been on an adventure and accidently falling into the next. He explores new worlds and I love the mysticism in it.
3. Last Crusade: Connery and more kicking nazi ass. Another religious item. Great!
4. Crystall skull: Love the movie till the part where they meet marion. Also liked the nuke because it shows to the audience that it's just a movie. Hated the Gophers and the monkeys. Triple agent stuff was unnecessary. Was a nice ride. Problably looked better on paper.

Temple/Raiders/Skull/Crusade

After all the initial disappointment, I have found more to like with Crystal Skull, while Last Crusade has become weaker over the years. It was a knee jerk reaction to the darkness of Doom and turned everything into a wacky road comedy lark. The series wasn't that flat out silly and goofy until Crusade came along and it all became a big joke, with Sallah and Brody in particular being reduced to a bad Fox sitcom level of supporting comic relief.

Look at Brody's scene with Indy in Raiders as he is packing to leave--Denholm Elliott played his dialogue in the first film well and was a credible character. Then for some reason he shows up in Crusade and is an ass and a buffoon. Same with Sallah. Even Henry, Sr. is played almost entirely for laughs. It's a shame. Plus, the boat looks fake when it's being chopped up in Venice. As well as the airplane passing them in the tunnel. Worst FX of all four films. Worst female lead. Worst villain (with Cate Blanchett close behind). Horrible scene with Indy pretending to be a Scotsman interested in tapestries. Etc.

Unlike the first two, you never really worry about Indy, fear for his life or doubt his chances of success because it's all just become a big, bright, glossy three ring circus of brisk comedic action set pieces. For the first time, an Indiana Jones film had absolutely no edge to it.

Temple/Raiders/Skull/Crusade

After all the initial disappointment, I have found more to like with Crystal Skull, while Last Crusade has become weaker over the years. It was a knee jerk reaction to the darkness of Doom and turned everything into a wacky road comedy lark. The series wasn't that flat out silly and goofy until Crusade came along and it all became a big joke, with Sallah and Brody in particular being reduced to a bad Fox sitcom level of supporting comic relief.

Look at Brody's scene with Indy in Raiders as he is packing to leave--Denholm Elliott played his dialogue in the first film well and was a credible character. Then for some reason he shows up in Crusade and is an ass and a buffoon. Same with Sallah. Even Henry, Sr. is played almost entirely for laughs. It's a shame. Plus, the boat looks fake when it's being chopped up in Venice. As well as the airplane passing them in the tunnel. Worst FX of all four films. Worst female lead. Worst villain (with Cate Blanchett close behind). Horrible scene with Indy pretending to be a Scotsman interested in tapestries. Etc.

Unlike the first two, you never really worry about Indy, fear for his life or doubt his chances of success because it's all just become a big, bright, glossy three ring circus of brisk comedic action set pieces. For the first time, an Indiana Jones film had absolutely no edge to it.

My ranking:
Raiders
Temple
Skull
Crusade

I agree pretty much with everything in your assessment of Last Crusade. I was a huge Indy fan since the first time I saw it in 1981 when I was 8. I found Temple of Doom to be an absolute blast--non stop relentless action (although I found both Willie and Shorty annoying). But when I saw Last Crusade, I was crushed and heartbroken. I agree that they went the comedy route because of how dark Temple was. Everything you said was spot on about the effects and the characters, although I don't mind Elsa and don't mind the tapestries scene (when Indy yanks Elsa across the floor and makes her shoes squeak is the only time I cracked a smile. Oh and the "...and I even like the color" line).

I guess I didn't mind Crystal Skull that much because I had already been hugely disappointed by Crusade, so there was nowhere to go but up. Also, judging by the SW prequels, I knew to expect it to be a little more juvenile.

Over the years Temple has lost a bit of its luster, so I now consider Raiders an anomaly to the series. Raiders is exciting, dangerous, gritty, violent, with just a touch of humor (used extremely sparingly and only to release tension). HF was like a different person--angry, intense and focused. It also feels like it's more than just about Indy. It truly feels like an epic film.

I don't think Mutt or Ray Winstone's characters are supposed to annoy everyone, but they do. There is absolutely NO reason for Winstone's character in the film; other than to remind everyone of the cool Indy film we could be watching that follows Jones' exploits as a spy during WWII.

I totally agree!!! Mac is one character I can not stand. His character was annoying and so was the actor that played him. To me, he is Jar Jar Binks.

I totally agree!!! Mac is one character I can not stand. His character was annoying and so was the actor that played him. To me, he is Jar Jar Binks.

Actually Mack is the “Ric Olie” of the picture.....give him lines but WhoTF cares.

I see Raiders, Temple and Crusade as equals. I can’t really put one before the other because I enjoy each one.

Rather than add polish to the franchise, Crystal Scar leaves a dent to what I believe was a perfect trilogy.

Everything was off even down to the comedy. When Mutt questions Jones in the cemetery “Your a school teacher?”

Indiana Jones delivery of “Part Time” was boring and dry. There did not seem to be comedy in it.

Also after the epic many location LC, KS felt very small. I know you could argue TOD was small but we did not know LC was around the corner.

1. Raiders because who can deny this is the best of the lot?
2. Temple of Doom I spent summers at my grandparent's place growing
up and this is the only VHS they had other than "old people" movies
so this film and I go way back.
3. Last Crusade Easily the most boring of the originals, but still fun
and has Connery.
4. Crystal Skull: Nuked the Fridge!

Rather than add polish to the franchise, Crystal Scar leaves a dent to what I believe was a perfect trilogy.

Everything was off even down to the comedy. When Mutt questions Jones in the cemetery “Your a school teacher?”

Indiana Jones delivery of “Part Time” was boring and dry. There did not seem to be comedy in it.
That's because:
403760_10150588385042112_589582111_10944335_1732015403_n.jpg

:):lol

1. Temple of Doom (was the first Indiana Jones movie I ever saw)
2. Raiders (Who doesn't like Raiders??)
3. Crystal Skull (love the kind of old school vibe I felt when watching, except Mutt was just annoying as hell)
4. Last Crusade (honestly put me to sleep the first go around, though i thought Connery was pretty funny)

Back