In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Raiders of the Lost Ark. So perfect, it didn't demand a sequel or a continuation. But I'm glad they did more.

2) Last Crusade. More akin to the original's spirit than Doom, but with the marvelous Harrison Ford/Sean Connery chemistry added. A slight tendency to put gags ahead of character, though.

3) Crystal Skull. The end sequence was a bummer as was the "Mutt of the Jungle" vine-swinging scene. I could really do without CGI. But I enjoyed the opening sequence and the performances from Ford and Karen Allen enough to overlook some of the more over-the-top moments.

4) Temple of Doom. Completely illogical and pretty silly almost from the get-go. And incredibly noisy. I don't see anything in this movie that's even as plausible as anything in Crystal Skull. Getting blasted in a refrigerator, surviving a jump from an airplane in a rubber raft... sometimes you just have to suck up the silly with an Indiana Jones movie.

But I find all four of them endlessly entertaining.

In visual order:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - I'm sure I don't need to explain why this is the best.

TEMPLE OF DOOM - silly and loud, yes, but a great villain, some excellent adventure set-pieces, and Short Round has some great lines. Willie Scott kills this movie for me, along with the slapstick.

LAST CRUSADE - almost a retread, except for the Connery/Ford relationship. Again, and worst than ToD, they add too much slapstick to the action scenes -- almost every one of them gets played for laughs -- so it gets tedious and loses its excitement and tension. But for laughs, this is a great Indy comedy, which is how I always saw it. Lucas would call it "the funny one".

CRYSTAL SKULL - with the exception of "the bomb" and the jungle chase, this movie offers very little in action-adventure thrills or cliffhanging moments. There's way too much talk -- how long is that Spalko camp scene anyway, like an hour and a half? But I do like the villain -- Spalko is a return to the classic serial villain like Mola Ram and Toht.

1) Raiders
2) Last Crusade
3 tie) Temple / Crystal Skull

I went into Crystal Skull spoiler-free, figuring "it can't be worse than Temple". Well, parts of it left me dumbfounded, though I still found myself enjoying it. In the end, I came to the conclusion that its bad parts were worse than Temple's bad while its good parts were better than Temple's good. As a kid, Temple was my favorite for the action; now its the character moments in the Indy movies that I appreciate most. And that's where Crystal Skull worked for me, at least where Indy and Mutt were concerned (most of the other characters, sadly, were pretty flat). On the other hand, Skull's action constantly crossed that "give-me-a-break" line - not just with the big groaners (fridge, vines, finale) but with the basics as well (like the gun-play). Its a weird movie that could've been much better with just a few small tweaks.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
Perfect in every way. The action is intense and Indy is in some major peril. I feel like the movie was played absolutely serious with some bits of comic relief, even though everything I've read from Spielberg, Lucas, Kasdan, etc, all say it was supposed to be over the top and almost cartoon-y with the action. I feel like the premise to the action pieces may have been cartoon-y, but they filmed it in a way that grounded it in reality. Indy is incredibly angry and intense throughout the movie and I think it really gives the film a sense of gravity. The Ark is a major character in the film, not just an empty McGuffin. You really get a sense of the power and danger of the Ark. The music is perfection--especially the truck chase and Ark opening.

2. Temple of Doom
I loved it when it first came out and I was 11. But Short Round and Willie bothered me even back then. The movie is fast and furious, but it's over the top--something I think the first one avoided. I recognized that more as I grew up, and it doesn't hold up as well for me. There are some weird spots in the movie, like the plane sequence in the beginning. It goes so strongly from the airplane to the raft to the mountain to the water then the waterfall, but then it just kinda fizzles out. And the scene where Indy is asking Short Round for his razor--it's just a wide shot of the exterior of the palace, showing Shorty on the balcony and Indy's line spoken. Is it supposed to suggest that Shorty threw it out the balcony? Did they only include that line to explain why Indy still has stubble (the more likely reason)? Just weird. The main music piece, while it makes sense for the setting, is a bit too light and cheery. Raiders had the ominous Ark theme that made the movie seem creepy and scary.

3/4. Tie between Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Last Crusade
I was 16 when the movie came out and I was pretty disappointed by it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the action pieces were played too lightly. I never felt anyone was in any real danger. The boat chase was pretty good, but I thought the tank chase was unfocused and certainly over the top. I liked the story line and the fact that it played out like a mystery. The DaVinci code owes a lot to this movie. But I hated that the action sequences were so watered down and not realistic at all--it loses any sense of real threat. When Indy and his dad are in the bi-plane and there's just a light breeze hitting them and their hats firmly stay put as they fly through the air??? The terrible blue screen of the burning Nazi plane passing them by in the tunnel and the silly glances they throw each other?? The leap of faith obstacle also looked pretty bad. It looks like really bad CGI and I was shocked to find out it was a miniature. If the action was grounded in reality like the first one was, and the humor was toned down a bit, I think it could have been just as good as Raiders. I did enjoy the music in this one.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I think I set my expectations correctly with it. I was prepared for another Last Crusade in terms of tone and I think I enjoyed the movie because of it. I did enjoy Kingdom. It was certainly fun. I thought the Greaser fight and the quicksand bit were hilarious and the chase sequences were fine. I wasn't bothered by the fridge or the monkeys or the prairie dogs or the aliens. I knew the series had now chosen over-the-top over realism, so I almost feel like Raiders was the anomaly. I liked how Indy aged and came across as an old bruiser guy--I think it fit his character. I was disappointed with the lack of grim death sequence that we see in all the movies. We didn't get anything nearly as gruesome in this one.

I love Indy and Raiders is one of my absolute favourites (if not THE favourite). To me the fact that the other 3 movies don't match up to the first one does not bother me. They don't diminish my enjoyment of them all in any way. I love the Indy character and I enjoy all 4 of them, but Raiders, to me, is like from another series.

There has been a lot of back and forth, comparing Crystal Skull to Temple of Doom. It's seems like it's kind of a debate over which one is the worst Indy film and I really don't think they are in the same league at all.

I know a lot of people have been talking about how they miss the travel aspect as well as the Professor persona from Temple of Doom. I don't really get either one of these arguments. In Temple we start off in Shanghai and after a really great action sequence, the characters are literally dropped in the middle of India. It's not only a beautiful contrast in locales, from the high society Club Obi Wan to the starving village in India, but we also get to see aspects of Indy that we don't get from any of the other films.

We see the really suave, James Bond version of Indy going toe to toe with a Chinese gangster. You really don't see this cool, clean version of Indy in Raiders, Last Crusade or, um the other one.

We also see the compassionate Indy, who speaks of fortune and glory, but really goes on the quest for the Sankara stones to help some starving villagers get their children back.

AND, we do get the professor Indy. When he's at dinner at the Maharaja's he's discussing the history of the Thugee and the Sankara stone. I think a lot of people forget what a great debate scene this is between Indy and Chattar Lal. I also like that it's intercut with the silliness of "snake surprise" et cetera. Hell, he's even wearing houndstooth and a bow tie:)

Does Crystal Skull have travel? Yes. Do we get professor Indy at the University? Yes. Do these things feel unnaturally and uncomfortably crammed in JUST because someone had a checklist of things Indy is SUPPOSED to do? YES!

This is one of the things I hate most about this (ahem) film. Anytime they start to meander through the plot or lose track of the characters, they just plug in something Indy is SUPPOSED to do. See Indy's wearing a fedora and using a whip. See Indy just said made a smart ass comment to guys with guns pointed at him. SEE, SEE this is Indiana Jones, 'cause we just played the old Raiders them. I love this music, but they use it in Crystal Skull like some pathetic plea.

Actually, this whole film seems like this. It tries so hard to be an Indiana Jones film, but it's really only surface. Everything looks right, but it doesn't FEEL right. Case in point, Marion Ravenwood. She's in Crystal skull, but she's not the smart as hell gal you remember from Raiders. It's a total waste of a character as well as a great actress.

They did the same thing with Marcus Brody in Last Crusade. They turned him from the brilliant, cautious mentor in Raiders to a complete bumbling idiot. When Indy tells the Germans,"He knows a hundred languages, he'll blend in, you'll never find him" we cut to an emasculated dimwit who looks like he's about to piss his pants. It always baffles me that this doesn't seem to bother people.

Temple of Doom, may not hit all the "iconic" Indy notes, but it feels like Indy. Actually, this film is the one closest to the original intent of replicating the old Republic serials. That's why everything is so broad. This is why I enjoy the film so much. We're supposed to laugh at how insane a raft dropping out of an airplane is. And at the end of the sequence, we've actually been led to are next destination.

When this sort of thing happens in Crystal Skull, it feels more like a video game; an action set piece with no story point. There is no reason to show a nuclear explosion. There is no reason to show Mutt swinging through the trees. And there certainly is no reason to have giant ants eating people alive or ALIENS(!!!) melting people brains. If any of these things had developed the characters, or progressed the story in any way, I could've gone with it. When Willy and Shortround are freaking out at the crazy banquet, it's at least showing how out of place these characters are as opposed to Indy, Chattar Lal and the captain, who are so used to experiencing these things that they barely notice.

And lastly, Willie Scott. I agree she is annoying. THAT'S BECAUSE SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING!!! The audience is supposed to feel the same way about her as Indy does. It's another burden he has to deal with on this journey.

I don't think Mutt or Ray Winstone's characters are supposed to annoy everyone, but they do. There is absolutely NO reason for Winstone's character in the film; other than to remind everyone of the cool Indy film we could be watching that follows Jones' exploits as a spy during WWII.

Anyway, I know this is an incredibly long winded post with a lot of words in CAPS:). I really love this character. Raiders is my favorite film of all time and I think Temple and Last Crusade were entertaining as hell follow ups. I respect everyone's opinion here, but I never could understand why people don't appreciate Temple more.

By the way, I didn't see Crystal Skull once and make my decision. I gave it three tries. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I just ended up crying three times in a row. Crystal Skull is blight on the land and I wish it had never happened.

Well, Raiders is probably the greatest action-adventure film of my generation, but my favorite Indy flick is ToD. I love everything about the film from the characters to the dark, gritty setting. And the action simply does not stop.

Last Crusade is a Raiders redux, just more comical and with much weaker villains. The bond between Connery and Ford holds this one together.

KOTCS -- well, it passes as an action film, but it's not Indiana Jones. I know a lot of folks liked this, but I just can't get into it. I saw it twice in theaters and that was more than enough. I don't own this on DVD and never will.

In ranking:

1. Raiders
2. ToD
3. Last Crusade
4. KOTCS

I finally saw Temple of Doom over Xmas break and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

1. Raiders of the lost ark
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of doom
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the crystal skull :horror
4. Indiana Jones and the last crusade

1. Last Crusade - Maybe Raiders is "better", but I just enjoy the Connery/Ford pairing too much to rank it lower.
2. Raiders - a nearly perfect movie.
3. Crystal Skull
4. Temple of Doom

1. Raiders - Just perfect
2. Last Crusade - back fighting the Nazis - where Indy should be
3. Temple of Doom - the whole pulling out the heart thing lost me
4. Crystal skull....mmmmm surviving the nuke in the fridge, that stupid sword fight across the cars, the giant ant death straight out of the mummy & the alien theme completely killed it for me.. but Indy was still cool & even Mutt & Marion worked for me

My thoughts exactly.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - One of the greatest films ever made.

2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - This film gets too much Hate IMO. But I also understand that some of the love this film gets from me has to do with the fact that I saw this film at the prime of my Indy fandom. And while I know that it has not aged as well I still find it to be a lot of fun. Oh and John Williams score for this film is OUTSTANDING!!!

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Was not a big fan of this when it came out and it has not grown on me either. Marcus Brody almost ruins the film by himself. Spielberg, Lucas, an Ford seem to be going through the motions in this one. Connery and Tank battle save this film.

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Good God what a bad film. I don't think Spielberg should direct sequals. He seems to get lazier with them. There is no artistic stamp to put on them as he has already made one film about the subject matter so he just goes through the motions. As the series goes on the films get more and more sloppy. Same can be said for Ford's acting, Lucas' scripts and John Williams Scores.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - It's the original and the best. The characters, the locations, the storytelling, the adventure, it's perfect. Very pulpy and defines who Indy is.

2. Temple of Doom - I like the originality here more then Crusade, as well as the darker tones. Some great sets and action, done without CGI and still looks great. From the Club Obi Wan sequence and the car chase that ensues in Shanghai, to the Mine Cars and Rope Bridge, I'll never understand the people who don't like this movie.

3. The Last Crusade - More or less a rehash but still great for the obvious reasons.

4. Crystal Skull - What a mess. I re-edited my own version, cutting after the rocket sled and before the atomic weapon, so it goes fro Indy off the rocketsled and looking out over the desert, to marshall college. Nice and smooth. Also re-edited the monkey swinging scenes, so Mutt is only seen swinging out at the end more or less out of nowhere. Again it worked out very well. Then I cut at the end, after the ship dissapears, instead of Indy giving the whole Space between Spaces speech and sitting down with Marion, it just cuts to the wedding. The edits really help alot, but it's still subpar in the writing/acting departments.

Shock Troop, your not down with the heart rip, but your cool with ghosts and cups that kill you or heal you? Its the power of god. They all fall under that categorey, so they are all ok in my book. Indy established that in Raiders, again in Temple, tho a differant god(Siva and Kali), and again in Crusade.

But Indy surviving the atomic blast, is all man made, its not god choosing to smithe nazis and spare him, its just rediculous, impossible bs. So that's pretty much the only thing I'm not ok with. And LIVE aliens. Dead would have been fine.

I laugh at all you people. Good grief.

Previous quote on another thread:

And then you try and throw something stupid like "Kids cant take a joke! lololol!'' When, you dont seem to realize, that on the internet, I cant hear you type. That looks like an insult. Eh? Eh? You get it now? If you're joking, you use a smiley! , if you're being insulting, you use .

So are YOU joking?

4. Crystal Skull - What a mess. I re-edited my own version, cutting after the rocket sled and before the atomic weapon, so it goes fro Indy off the rocketsled and looking out over the desert, to marshall college. Nice and smooth. Also re-edited the monkey swinging scenes, so Mutt is only seen swinging out at the end more or less out of nowhere. Again it worked out very well. Then I cut at the end, after the ship dissapears, instead of Indy giving the whole Space between Spaces speech and sitting down with Marion, it just cuts to the wedding. The edits really help alot, but it's still subpar in the writing/acting departments.

Oh, man! I would love to see that. I love all the Star Wars edits that are out there!

Nope. I dont understand some of you people.

Then maybe you should go find a forum where you do understand the people. Or maybe you should stay away from threads for films you obviously hate.

Either way, there's plenty of things to do on this forum besides insulting people.:rolleyes:

At the end of the day they're ALL crap when you compare Richard Chamberlain in King Solomans Mines...AWESOME

Back