in charge of sideshow gi joe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd scrap ALL premium Format Joe plans,plus Environments and then focus more on demanded 1/6 scale figures like Destro etc.

then,with no extra developments,I'd produce no less than 6 figures per year plus SDCC exclusive

:pfft:

0006ypy.gif

Im very excited myself about the premium format line.. especially have a dream about getting a b.a.t.s figure, so if i was in charge id make sure to get that far in the line.

WOW fanboy post alert! :panic:

The weapons are cheap and have a tendency to snap when popping on accessories. Sideshow's don't.

The fabric boots are notorious for coming apart where the heel meets the sole of the boot, if the fabric doesn't tear when putting the foot in or tightening the laces. Sculpted boots don't have this issue.

80% of their releases are pinheaded. While Sideshow's tend to be a bit larger, I'd rather lean toward larger than smaller. Especially when the figure is geared up and looks like they have a baby head. A bigger head can look smaller all geared up. Oh, and DiD's sculpts spank the hell out of SS's.

I've found Soldier Story BDUs to be irregular, with sleeves being different lengths, pant legs being different lengths, etc. Sideshows tend to be tailored better to the figures.

The bodies are on par with the oldschool Truetype and look fine so long as they're completely covered up. If they aren't, they tend to look goofy and suffer a bit from monkey arms. And without gear, they tend to look like the body is shrugging because Solder Story doesn't understand the concept of the trapezius muscles and how they descend from the neck to the shoulder. Also, the sculpted neck isn't much good in any pose other than vertical. The _____ feet on their figures aren't even worth going into detail on. :lol

Some of their weapons need a dab of crazy glue in certain areas on certain weapons, other companies do not because they are just chunks of plastic.

Molded boots, no thanks, l prefer fabric boots, l have never had the soles come apart or heard much about that so a doubt it's a natorious problem. Only one boot had the metal lace loop brake and that was from pulling on the lace to much. Their WW2 boots l have also never had a problem with or DID.

Never incountered a uniform that was not even.

Yes their bodies, necks and heads are gay.

Last edited:
Im very excited myself about the premium format line.. especially have a dream about getting a b.a.t.s figure, so if i was in charge id make sure to get that far in the line.

I am hoping we get alot of 1:4 characters, I know we probably won't though since not too many Joe fans are statue collectors, at least we get BAroness! If the line ends after a few pieces, I will just go the route of commissions or attempt making them myself, tired of not having enough Joe statues!

I'd like every Joe to be released with a Cobra adversary.

Scarlet vs. Baroness.
Roadblock vs. Destro.
Shockwave vs. Alley Viper.
Lowlight vs. Night Viper.
Torpedo vs. Eel.
Snow Job vs. Snow Serpent.
and so on.

I'd love to see some "bonus uniforms" or "adventure sets", much like the old G.I. Joe 12" figures, with uniforms and accessories.

Something like arctic gear, a scuba uniform, a GI Joe flight suit, etc. I know these things exist already from other companies, but Sideshow could always put their GI Joe spin on it. Maybe we could even see really small vehicles, like the RAM motorcycle or the JUMP jetpack.

I'm guessing these would run about $40 a pop.

I also agree with the poster who said that they would like to see some less expensive environments from the line. That Cobra throne is great, and the Desert environment is pretty cool too, but Urban Threat and The Pitt are just underwhelming to me.

Overall, I think Sideshow is really doing a great job with the line and I look forward to what they come up with next. (And pray they decide to come to JoeCon in New Orleans in 2012!)

To clarify, I know the motorcycle wouldn't be $40. I was speaking more about the uniforms..... although the JUMP jetpack (by itself) could be about $40 if done right, I suppose.....

Dump premium formats, enviroments and dios.

Focus 100% on six 12" figure releases a year plus one SDCC exclusive.

Not enough figures/year is my only complaint. I don't care how they do it, as long as they do it.

If I had to have two complaints, $20 cheaper wouldn't hurt my feelings.

To clarify, I know the motorcycle wouldn't be $40. I was speaking more about the uniforms..... although the JUMP jetpack (by itself) could be about $40 if done right, I suppose.....

They could do a motorcycle for $40, if it was plastic, though they'd probably find a way to make it out of polystone...

The JUMP shouldn't be anywhere near $40, if we're just talking about the backpack... Including the platform, sure, but again, they'd probably insist on polystone. :(

Dump premium formats, enviroments and dios.

Focus 100% on six 12" figure releases a year plus one SDCC exclusive.

I don't think they are taking away from the figures by doing statues, it isn't like the sculptors are making the clothing for the 12" figures, once the head is sculpted, there is little use for a sculptor, I am sure there are people that just do the access/hands/feet weapons. I am all for more 12" figures a year but I want to see more statues, I know there isn't a huge market especially here, but that is why the statues have a much smaller es than the figures.

I don't think they are taking away from the figures by doing statues, it isn't like the sculptors are making the clothing for the 12" figures, once the head is sculpted, there is little use for a sculptor, I am sure there are people that just do the access/hands/feet weapons. I am all for more 12" figures a year but I want to see more statues, I know there isn't a huge market especially here, but that is why the statues have a much smaller es than the figures.

Sculpting is only a single aspect of product development and ES is irrelevant to development. :dunno

If we're down to 4 figures a year and the statues are still in the picture, it doesn't take a business degree for me to understand that one of these things is utilizing development resources that could be devoted to the other thing.

Sculpting is only a single aspect of product development and ES is irrelevant to development. :dunno

Do you think they only do one thing at a time? Is a sculptor just going to sit there waiting while the seamstress sews some army pants?

I was referring to the amount of people interested in 12" compared to statues, hence the smaller ES for statues, nothing to do with development.

I am sure there are many chefs in the kitchen when making these, so I doubt all the Joe Development team is working on the same projects at once. If giving up 2 12" for some statues out of 6, I am fine with that, less would be better if more statues came out, but I do enjoy the 12" alot also, they have to cater to both groups of collectors not just the 12", which I am sure can already be noticed and doubt will change anytime soon.

After rethinking, I'd include 2 Joe's for every Cobra.

Gung Ho & Roadblock vs. Destro.

Lady Jaye & Scarlet vs. Baroness.

Yeah, I like that pattern better.

Do you think they only do one thing at a time? Is a sculptor just going to sit there waiting while the seamstress sews some army pants?

I was referring to the amount of people interested in 12" compared to statues, hence the smaller ES for statues, nothing to do with development.

I am sure there are many chefs in the kitchen when making these, so I doubt all the Joe Development team is working on the same projects at once. If giving up 2 12" for some statues out of 6, I am fine with that, less would be better if more statues came out, but I do enjoy the 12" alot also, they have to cater to both groups of collectors not just the 12", which I am sure can already be noticed and doubt will change anytime soon.

Yes, but you're implying that statues don't tie up the resources that design 12" figures and vice versa. I'm willing to bet that the departments are shared for both which would mean, more projects = less dedication to a single line.

Yes, but you're implying that statues don't tie up the resources that design 12" figures and vice versa. I'm willing to bet that the departments are shared for both which would mean, more projects = less dedication to a single line.

To an extent sure it does, but they don't all work at the same time, I am sure there are multiple art directors for each license. As quickly as I want all the 12" figures now, they also have to make sure they don't put too much out at once so collectors can afford to pay for it, I know I was having trouble when 3-4 pieces were released so close to each other.

There must be a market for the statues if they keep continuing making them, I doubt they will go away anytime soon, and I am sure Baroness will be an eventual sell out. And the new SE & Timber has been positively received. I am dying what they have next after Baroness! :yess:

Back