in charge of sideshow gi joe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakeeyes171

Super Freak
Reaction score
if you were in charge of the gi joe line at sideshow what would you do with the line or what changes would be made?

• Employ soldier story (or toys city or playhouse) as their tactical tailor, gear and arms makers for GI Joe.
  • Avoid rehashing and reusing gloves sculpts whenever possible. We at least need a re-sculpt of the trigger right hand.
  • Stick with cloth boots.
  • Better production paint jobs on head sculpts (especially on those that have camouflage paint).
  • Hire Kato to do some of the uniform tailoring.

It's really not a lot long list for me because they've been doing good so far; I'm pretty sure MSRP will skyrocket if this list was attempted.

DESRTO ,Baroness ,Zartan DReadnaughts ,another SNAKE EYES and STORM SHADOW,cobra commander again, WEAPONS exspansion pack, Vehicles ,MORE NINJAS ..........

• Employ soldier story (or toys city or playhouse) as their tactical tailor, gear and arms makers for GI Joe.
  • Avoid rehashing and reusing gloves sculpts whenever possible. We at least need a re-sculpt of the trigger right hand.
  • Stick with cloth boots.
  • Better production paint jobs on head sculpts (especially on those that have camouflage paint).
  • Hire Kato to do some of the uniform tailoring.

It's really not a lot long list for me because they've been doing good so far; I'm pretty sure MSRP will skyrocket if this list was attempted.

I find a lot of Soldier Story stuff to be vastly inferior to other stuff on the market. Hell, sometimes even Dragon's stuff turns out better than Soldier Story's. As to the rest of your suggestions, they'd push the cost of the figures over $200 a pop. The Kato thing has already been done (he designed Hawk's jacket).

But I'm guessing this is just another one of your SS fanboygasm threads. :lol

I find a lot of Soldier Story stuff to be vastly inferior to other stuff on the market. Hell, sometimes even Dragon's stuff turns out better than Soldier Story's. As to the rest of your suggestions, they'd push the cost of the figures over $200 a pop. The Kato thing has already been done (he designed Hawk's jacket).

But I'm guessing this is just another one of your SS fanboygasm threads. :lol
--

:goodpost:

The Kato thing has already been done (he designed Hawk's jacket).
No sh!!!TTT!

As to the rest of your suggestions, they'd push the cost of the figures over $200 a pop.

I thought I said that.

I find a lot of Soldier Story stuff to be vastly inferior to other stuff on the market. Hell, sometimes even Dragon's stuff turns out better than Soldier Story's.

Okay, we'll stick with Dragon. Soldier Story rifles are too delicate for my tastes, I always liked the Dragon M4s cause all the attachments rarely fall off. Too bad they don't do much modern.

I'd scrap ALL premium Format Joe plans,plus Environments and then focus more on demanded 1/6 scale figures like Destro etc.

then,with no extra developments,I'd produce no less than 6 figures per year plus SDCC exclusive

I would double production of each release. Lower prices by 25%.

The big assumption is that SSC can maximize the economies of scale with minimal loss in quality. Big assumption I know, but I'd give it the best shot I could.

Essentially the lower unit prices spark higher sales. Not only do you double the amount of customers but since prices are lower customers are willing to buy in for more releases.

Exponential increase in sales.

Follow up the lower prices with special "elitist packs" for $25-30 for every character release. These packs contain upgraded accessories that may be nonessential to your cheaper customers but provide an option for the uber snob collector that demand HT quality items. Packs can include better head sculpts, special weapons, Kato jackets, whatever.

To save money for cheap collectors I would cut back on the useless extra hands and the laser rifle. When every character comes with 6 hands I end up with a bucket full of them. I don't need that and would prefer to save a few bucks.

More Ratchet? Hmm. . .

images

Yes, I approve.

I would double production of each release. Lower prices by 25%.

The big assumption is that SSC can maximize the economies of scale with minimal loss in quality. Big assumption I know, but I'd give it the best shot I could.

Essentially the lower unit prices spark higher sales. Not only do you double the amount of customers but since prices are lower customers are willing to buy in for more releases.

Exponential increase in sales.

Follow up the lower prices with special "elitist packs" for $25-30 for every character release. These packs contain upgraded accessories that may be nonessential to your cheaper customers but provide an option for the uber snob collector that demand HT quality items. Packs can include better head sculpts, special weapons, Kato jackets, whatever.

To save money for cheap collectors I would cut back on the useless extra hands and the laser rifle. When every character comes with 6 hands I end up with a bucket full of them. I don't need that and would prefer to save a few bucks.

Doubtful. Even at $90 a pop they wouldn't sell nearly enough to justify the larger runs. You'd have to go back to Buck bodies and cheap out by cutting corners on lots of other aspects. The only thing running at that point, would be the license.... right into the ground. The high-end aspect of Joe collecting has always been a headache. The majority really does believe that the 1:18 RAH Joes are vastly superior to the 1:6. I honestly don't even think Dragon would do well making Joes at $60 a pop (and their prices are creeping up as well. That AA trooper is $199 and he pales in comparison to Sideshow's Joes). We'd buy them, yes. But the majority wouldn't. :(

I don't know, they're doing a pretty bang-up job so far.

I think the only things I'd change are the following:

1. Try to keep the price down. Not sure if the prices are going up because they know we'll keep buying if they creep up slowly enough, or if the cost of doing business is making them higher. If the latter, I'd try to limit the number of accessories a bit. We don't need so many different hands, or more than one rifle, or even a sidearm for everyone, etc...

2. Try and get them a BIT closer to the original source material. I don't mind what they're doing now, but I have to admit, I prefer guys like Beach Head and Hawk V2 to stuff like the Crimson Guard and Firefly. Don't get me wrong - I think those figures are still awesome. I just prefer a bit more RAH flavour.

3. Re-evaluate the whole environment thing... It just seems to me that they're way too pricey, and not selling all that well. Better to invest the money into less expensive, plastic sets more reminiscent of the original line (e.g. weapons accessory packs and battlefield dio sets like the Forward Observer or something to that effect). I'd still do the occasional big polystone environment, but much less often than they're doing them now, and when they are done, they'd have be something special that really screams GI Joe (like the Cobra Bunker, for example) - not the boring, generic stuff they're doing now.

I find a lot of Soldier Story stuff to be vastly inferior to other stuff on the market. Hell, sometimes even Dragon's stuff turns out better than Soldier Story's.

Tell me how Soldier Story is vastly inferior to other 1/6 companies?

Soldier Story has the best quality and accurate stuff in 1/6 military, don't know what you're talking about. They are better then DID (usually inaccurate), HT, Playhouse (a very close second), Toy City, Crazy Dummy and Dragon (not so great modern uniforms and vests, some pretty good weapons and strong WW2 uniforms and weapons). Only a very small number is better then Soldier Story and the othe rcompanies, off the top of my head is their Airborne uniforms, they are better then any other company. The dragon WW2 MG42 is also better then any other company.

Soldier Story is top of the line for weapons which are vastly superior then any other company, they may be delicate (some more then others). Soldier Story weapons have real moving parts and usually break down like the real thing and are made of metal or have metal and wooden parts. The only thing l don't like about SS is their heads and bodies, everything else is the best on the 1/6 market, uniforms, web gear, boots and vests, followed by Playhouse for modern and DID for WW2. Some pouches from other companies might be better depending on tastes, l don't like SS mag pouches or some of the other pouches, recently they are coming out with a shiny fabric l don't like, but are as accurate as they come. I prefer Playhouse pouches and older style Soldier Story pouches. Dragon modern stuff sucks compared to Soldier Story, only a few of their WW2 uniforms and para gear and E tools are better.

I would say Soldier Story is the best (for modern and WW2) followed right behind by Playhouse (for modern) and DID (for WW2). If you want to bash the best Mdern soldier SS and Playhouse parts is where it's at. For WW2 a mix of SS, DID and some dragon parts is where it's at. So how is Soldier Story Vastly inferior then these other companies?

Now that the Pro body has been around a while, I don't see how they are more expensive to produce than the buck. They don't take more plastic. The molds are already made and along with the r&d costs probably recouped. I'm not asking to go back to $60, but how about $100 or $110 instead of $135 or $150.

Anyway, its not really a plea for SSC to do it, its just what I would do.

WOW fanboy post alert! :panic:
Tell me how Soldier Story is vastly inferior to other 1/6 companies?

Soldier Story has the best quality and accurate stuff in 1/6 military, don't know what you're talking about. They are better then DID (usually inaccurate), HT, Playhouse (a very close second), Toy City, Crazy Dummy and Dragon (not so great modern uniforms and vests, some pretty good weapons and strong WW2 uniforms and weapons). Only a very small number is better then Soldier Story and the othe rcompanies, off the top of my head is their Airborne uniforms, they are better then any other company. The dragon WW2 MG42 is also better then any other company.

Soldier Story is top of the line for weapons which are vastly superior then any other company, they may be delicate (some more then others). Soldier Story weapons have real moving parts and usually break down like the real thing and are made of metal or have metal and wooden parts. The only thing l don't like about SS is their heads and bodies, everything else is the best on the 1/6 market, uniforms, web gear, boots and vests, followed by Playhouse for modern and DID for WW2. Some pouches from other companies might be better depending on tastes, l don't like SS mag pouches or some of the other pouches, recently they are coming out with a shiny fabric l don't like, but are as accurate as they come. I prefer Playhouse pouches and older style Soldier Story pouches. Dragon modern stuff sucks compared to Soldier Story, only a few of their WW2 uniforms and para gear and E tools are better.

I would say Soldier Story is the best (for modern and WW2) followed right behind by Playhouse (for modern) and DID (for WW2). If you want to bash the best Mdern soldier SS and Playhouse parts is where it's at. For WW2 a mix of SS, DID and some dragon parts is where it's at. So how is Soldier Story Vastly inferior then these other companies?

The weapons are cheap and have a tendency to snap when popping on accessories. Sideshow's don't.

The fabric boots are notorious for coming apart where the heel meets the sole of the boot, if the fabric doesn't tear when putting the foot in or tightening the laces. Sculpted boots don't have this issue.

80% of their releases are pinheaded. While Sideshow's tend to be a bit larger, I'd rather lean toward larger than smaller. Especially when the figure is geared up and looks like they have a baby head. A bigger head can look smaller all geared up. Oh, and DiD's sculpts spank the hell out of SS's.

I've found Soldier Story BDUs to be irregular, with sleeves being different lengths, pant legs being different lengths, etc. Sideshows tend to be tailored better to the figures.

The bodies are on par with the oldschool Truetype and look fine so long as they're completely covered up. If they aren't, they tend to look goofy and suffer a bit from monkey arms. And without gear, they tend to look like the body is shrugging because Solder Story doesn't understand the concept of the trapezius muscles and how they descend from the neck to the shoulder. Also, the sculpted neck isn't much good in any pose other than vertical. The _____ feet on their figures aren't even worth going into detail on. :lol

Back