I'm in a bind...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw.96

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I bet you're wondering where I am, I'll tell you w
Me and my buddy just found an awesome apartment, it's super nice. The only problem is because the rent is high I'm going to have to cut down on what I buy. Which means I'm only going to be allowed to get one expensive SS item this year.
I've narrowed it down to two...Morgul Lord Legendary Scale or PF Frodo. I don't know who to go with...
Frodo is an icon for me and I think this figure could really be a holy grail type thing for Frodo super fans like me. Now on the other hand the Morgul Lord bust is amazing and really stands out in a collection. What to do what to do....

Magic Giraffe said:
Me and my buddy just found an awesome apartment, it's super nice. The only problem is because the rent is high I'm going to have to cut down on what I buy. Which means I'm only going to be allowed to get one expensive SS item this year.
I've narrowed it down to two...Morgul Lord Legendary Scale or PF Frodo. I don't know who to go with...
Frodo is an icon for me and I think this figure could really be a holy grail type thing for Frodo super fans like me. Now on the other hand the Morgul Lord bust is amazing and really stands out in a collection. What to do what to do....

You should go with the Morgul Lord bust, since it is still available-- with a low-ish edition size of 600. Frodo is already sold out, put yourself on the waiting list and panic accordingly only after you get the offer to turn it into a real order.

This is all assuming you're going to buy from Sideshow. I have no idea if dealers still have Frodo or what the Ebay situation is (or if you already in fact have both on order).

Without more info, I feel I can't advise you very well on this matter. Is your current collection heavier on the busts or statues?

I tend to use an occassional bust to accent my collection, but the ML bust is so big, that one could hardly call it an accent piece. :lol It would be too dominant in my collection, so I'd likely go with Frodo.

But, again, that's for my own collection.

I say go with Frodo. As much as I like the ML Bust I'd had to cut it as I was pairing somethings down. Frodo is really very nice and more what my collection already looks like.

Well I don't have a whole lot of items. My collection is mainly 12" figures and LOTR helms. I just buy what I like and don't get something just because it's from a certain line and what not. I also have both on order right now so getting one of them is not a problem. Right now I'm leaning more towards Frodo just because he's such an icon to me. Personally I just wish SS would have went with a more iconic pose for him (Shelob's Lair or Mount Doom)

Magic Giraffe said:
Well I don't have a whole lot of items. My collection is mainly 12" figures and LOTR helms. I just buy what I like and don't get something just because it's from a certain line and what not. I also have both on order right now so getting one of them is not a problem. Right now I'm leaning more towards Frodo just because he's such an icon to me. Personally I just wish SS would have went with a more iconic pose for him (Helms Deep, Shelob's Lair, or Mount Doom)

Frodo wasn't at Helm's Deep, but I like the pose. Moria is one of my favorite scenes.

Go with Frodo. The sculpt looks like they've made improvements and with such a low ES, it's going to be hard to get in the secondary market. Morgul Lord bust will be available MUCH cheaper later on. We were expecting the ES to be around 250-300, it was double that. You'll be able to save $100 down the line on that one.

Darth Loki said:
Frodo wasn't at Helm's Deep, but I like the pose. Moria is one of my favorite scenes.

Go with Frodo. The sculpt looks like they've made improvements and with such a low ES, it's going to be hard to get in the secondary market. Morgul Lord bust will be available MUCH cheaper later on. We were expecting the ES to be around 250-300, it was double that. You'll be able to save $100 down the line on that one.

Hahaha yeah I can't believe I put Helms Deep, that was a total accient/brain fart. I wasn't even thinking when I was typing. D'OH!

Magic Giraffe said:
Hahaha yeah I can't believe I put Helms Deep, that was a total accient/brain fart. I wasn't even thinking when I was typing. D'OH!

It is a sign: what you really want is SSW's Helm's Deep environment. The venerable "Grey's Deep" as dubbed by collectors. You just didn't know it!

I've made my desicion...

I'm going with Frodo. He's an icon for me and I really believe the Premium Format figures are something special. This would have been a hands down choice for me with Frodo but I let all the negativity about his likeness question my desicion. But after talking with a friend (Josh) whose seen it in person I think it was an easy desicion for me. But thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

You can't lose with either piece. The ML bust is really amazing but the other day when I decided to cut some items for the mean time I had to axe this. Frodo while not the most perfect of likenesses according to some is the cooler of the two. The PF pieces are really really really amazing because of the detail in the costume.

Magic Giraffe said:
I've made my desicion...

I'm going with Frodo. He's an icon for me and I really believe the Premium Format figures are something special. This would have been a hands down choice for me with Frodo but I let all the negativity about his likeness question my desicion. But after talking with a friend (Josh) whose seen it in person I think it was an easy desicion for me. But thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

LOL Josh likes everything though.............

I would have chosen the same.

Jesse

Last edited:
I was just about to tell you to go with Frodo, but it looks like you have already done that! I think that the Frodo PF looks great and captures an entire character instead of just a head and shoulders. I have the Frodo ordered and I skipped the ML bust.

Sell it though when the nice happy shire frodo comes out, I will.

Thats the Frodo I want displayed in my collection. I really don't get all the crouching and wincing in theses poses. Did they even read the book, the esance of being a hobbit is being a happy-go-lucky, not a care in the world, 5 meal having little bugger.

I really wouldn't even mind the armor figs but I dont need my hobbits in fighting poses. Save that for the fighters.

Jesse

I would have decided in favor of Fordo,too, good choice!
I have Frodo on order, but skipped the ML bust, just too many representations of him already.

carbo-fation said:
Go with the Morgul Lord! Frodo has a higher ES and will most probably be cheaper down the road than the bust.

I am not sure whether you can compare the ES of the two and take that as an indicator for what the "secondary market" price will be, I would bet that Frodo will be more than the ML bust... but only time will tell. :cool:

Back