I'm a dishonest buyer, be the judge? (Potential ebay seller warning too)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freak_Zombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I found a listing for a classic iron man comiquette, which had a buy it now price of $435 but there was a make me an offer price option too.

So I made an offer for $550 INCLUSIVE of postage TO Melbourne Australia in the comments section. (I thought the offer was fair since there was another piece that was going for $350 and at that time my postage calculation only came up to $180+, that would make the statue come to around $370?) About a day later he ACCEPTED that offer with no other comments made.

After that I tried sending him some emails of ebay to lift the shipping restrictions so that I can make payment. No response, a couple days later I dropped him a phone text, finally replied that he'll head to the post office to check the shipping price.

Turns out the seller was saying that the postage was going to be $210, so I was like cool, if he could lift the address restrictions I would make payment immediately. To my surprise he added another $85 for postage. I contacted him back and told him that my original offer was for $550 inclusive of postage, why the increase?

He said and I quote
" I'm not paying any shipping charges....I had reservations about selling out of the country and you have just proved my point"

I replied
" I'm sorry but what did I just prove? I did clearly state my condition for my offer. You had every right to decline my offer if you felt it was unfair. So now after you found out shipping was more expensive you want to back out of an offer you ACCEPTED? Lol, I'm sorry but don't you think you could have checked the shipping prices before accepting my offer? The onus would be on you to see if my offer was fair."

His reply
"Well it is what it is, being you live there you know the shipping is high so you low ball the shipping hoping the seller will bite! Everytime I deal with out of country its more trouble than its worth.... I got to fill out a ****load of paperwork then if something happens to the box there's more problems and long distance nonsense. I been selling since 2002 so not my first time dealing with this!"

(btw he only has a feedback of 4 positives. no other feedback)

My reply
"I don't believe I was low balling. If you saw the other ad I posted. He was selling it for $350. So 10 dollars less is hardly low balling. Besides the retail price is still lower than that. Again, I stress even if I was low balling, you accepted the offer. I didn't force you to accept it. Is it my fault that you didn't check the shipping prices before hand? No. Now I'm sure you don't want to earn a negative feedback over this transaction since I clearly didn't do anything wrong here.

So if you were me, and the seller had ALREADY accepted your offer, how would you feel when the seller is asking for more and was accusing you of low balling?"

"Tell you what. I'm willing to split the extra shipping cost. Would you be agreeable to that? While it disadvantages me, at least we can come out of this transaction happy. (or at least as close to that as possible, lol)"

No response for the longest time, then relists the item on ebay for a buy it now price for $525.

This is in the description

Due to International buyer being dishonest about shipping this has been relisted.

This auction is for The Sideshow Classic Ironman Exclusive including the helmetless Tony stark head. Item is complete with all boxes and accessories. I recieved this item directly from sideshow when it was released. Comes from a pet free and smoke free home. Mint condition!

I'm okay if he backed out of the deal but to call me dishonest?! What have I done so far that was dishonest? Am I really missing something here?

I left probably my first negative feedback on ebay after all this years. Backing out of a deal is one thing but to be called dishonest is another I figure.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably shouldn't have tried to do an offer that way, but he was pretty stupid for not reading everything and making sure of what you were trying to do. It seems that type of thing happens a lot where people never read all the details of something and they miss something important.

You probably shouldn't have tried to do an offer that way, but he was pretty stupid for not reading everything and making sure of what you were trying to do. It seems that type of thing happens a lot where people never read all the details of something and they miss something important.

I agree somewhat but if someone was offering a price HIGHER than the buy it now option, there must be a reason and should have rang some alarm bells to be more alert. That and I'm sure he knew of that condition too when he accepted it.

Bad communications on both sides. Let it go.

Would you let it go if someone called you dishonest when you feel like you're innocent? lol

But seriously, putting that aside, how was it bad communication on my end? How clearer can I get than : Hi my offer of $550 is for the item inclusive of postage to Melbourne, Australia.

Was that really bad communication?

I don't think a negative feedback is appropriate...yep...let it go and move on. If being falsly accused of being dishonest is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life...you have lead a blessed one.

Would you let it go if someone called you dishonest when you feel like you're innocent? lol

But seriously, putting that aside, how was it bad communication on my end? How clearer can I get than : Hi my offer of $550 is for the item inclusive of postage to Melbourne, Australia.

I don't think so. It seems to me he should have looked into shipping costs to Australia before accepting your offer. He seems the more dishonest one, at least from your telling of it here.

Well if he would have posted your name in the listing it would be one thing, but he didn't. I would just let it go

I don't think a negative feedback is appropriate...yep...let it go and move on. If being falsly accused of being dishonest is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life...you have lead a blessed one.

lol, I wouldn't say I've lead a blessed life but I hate being falsely accused of something I feel like I'm innocent of.

But why would a negative feedback be not appropriate? If a seller backs out of a deal (with no legitimate reason), shouldn't I leave a negative feedback? (Regardless of the fact the seller had horrible service and called you dishonest)

Oh I wasn't clear on you stating upfront you were from Melbourne. :panic:

Yeah, I agree with others. Just move on with your life. Seems like you just want revenge because things didn't go your way.

Being accused of dishonesty is one thing. Being a petty buyer is quite another thing. Be the bigger person and move on.

Oh I wasn't clear on you stating upfront you were from Melbourne. :panic:

Yeah, I agree with others. Just move on with your life. Seems like you just want revenge because things didn't go your way.

Being accused of dishonesty is one thing. Being a petty buyer is quite another thing. Be the bigger person and move on.

Actually I would have probably not done a thing if he had backed out (this has happened before in the past with other sellers). But what vexes me is when I even offered to pay for half the extra shipping price, he chose to ignore all my msgs, relist the item and call me dishonest. I don't want revenge for him backing out (like I mentioned before, not the first time) but being called dishonest for no reason, was so not cool. So I don't think I'm being petty. (I would call nit picking on the condition of a shipping box being petty.) lol

Anyways I'll probably would have cooled down by tomorrow. Just venting a little at a wasted opportunity. Any genuine classic iron man comiquette sellers here? haha

I can understand you being upset. Trouble is, you can't do anything about it. Just consider the source and don't buy anything from him ever again.

If he only has 4 feedbacks and he's been selling since 2002, then he hasn't been selling very much and probably isn't good at it.

Live and learn. He's a bastard. Forgetabouthim.

humongous_just_walk_away_zpse8e4915c.jpg

Move on to the next auction. Leaving a negative does nothing to someone with 4 feedback. They will just close shop and create a new account.

I think the seller was definitely in the wrong. Freak was crystal clear about his conditions and the seller did not do his homework before accepting. 100% seller's fault.

However, I know it's disappointing to not get the statue, but just let it go. Maybe leave a neutral instead of a negative just saying the seller backed out of the agreement.

What were you saying about a shipping restriction? His auction was for the US only? and you still were able to place a bid?

It seems to me like you were just trying to work the system. The piece couldn't have meant that much to you. It seems like you seen something you liked and you were just trying to get a good deal on it from a newbie that might accidently accept your offer without checking the fine print and shipping cost.

I think the seller was definitely in the wrong. Freak was crystal clear about his conditions and the seller did not do his homework before accepting. 100% seller's fault.

However, I know it's disappointing to not get the statue, but just let it go. Maybe leave a neutral instead of a negative just saying the seller backed out of the agreement.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Back