Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much did these cost new from Ikea?

Sean

I don't know how much the coffee table was, but thinking 149.00. The coffee Table is pretty much discontinued very hard to find in your local Ikea. They still carry the matching Table with four chairs. This is a full size table, but the legs could be cut down (evenly) to lower the height. I would be large enough for 2 Tumblers angled and many Dark night figures. You could put together a nice diorama.

Table (length 57 1/2", width 30 3/4", height 29 1/2")

Here is the link for the Table that is still in stock at most Ikea stores. I went to Ikea Last Saturday and stared at it for about 45 mins trying to think how it would look. You need a lot of room to make it look nice.

Table link 199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40134347/

I don't know how much the coffee table was, but thinking 149.00. The coffee Table is pretty much discontinued very hard to find in your local Ikea. They still carry the matching Table with four chairs. This is a full size table, but the legs could be cut down (evenly) to lower the height. I would be large enough for 2 Tumblers angled and many Dark night figures. You could put together a nice diorama.

Table (length 57 1/2", width 30 3/4", height 29 1/2")

Here is the link for the Table that is still in stock at most Ikea stores. I went to Ikea Last Saturday and stared at it for about 45 mins trying to think how it would look. You need a lot of room to make it look nice.

Table link 199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40134347/

Here is the link to the Smaller "Breakfast" table they have as well. This will give you a Square box. Once again you can cut the legs down to lower the height, just always remember "Measure Twice, Cut Once" rule.

Small Kitchen Breakfast Table 99.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80157129/

i still need some ideas for the base, what MDF boards have you all been using? And where?

Different people have used completely different materials. MDF soaks up paint, so it's a good idea to prime it first. Also make sure that if the edges will be visible that you sand them very finely and you should fill them with some drywall compound first. Just smear it on, then sand it smooth. That will take the paint better and provide you with a perfect edge.

If you're keeping the original bottom shelf you don't need to go overboard on MDF thickness. If you're concerned about weight, plywood is always a better option, but a lot more expensive, especially for finish grade.

Here's a step by step with lots of photos by Ironed (in this thread): https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4888544#post4888544

Different people have used completely different materials. MDF soaks up paint, so it's a good idea to prime it first. Also make sure that if the edges will be visible that you sand them very finely and you should fill them with some drywall compound first. Just smear it on, then sand it smooth. That will take the paint better and provide you with a perfect edge.

If you're keeping the original bottom shelf you don't need to go overboard on MDF thickness. If you're concerned about weight, plywood is always a better option, but a lot more expensive, especially for finish grade.

Here's a step by step with lots of photos by Ironed (in this thread): https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4888544#post4888544

Thanks for the help and info! Any suggestions on where to go and get the best boards to use, i'm a complete noob when it comes to carpentry stuff, horrible man resume so far lol.

Lowe's, Home Depot, some other lumber yard or home improvement store in your area. HD should have MDF in "handy panel" size which is 2x4' and 4x4' so you don't have to buy an entire 4x8' sheet. Lowe's and HD also cut material for you in store, so come with measurements prepared.

Possibly a very good idea, especially if you don't already have the paint or painting supplies ready to go. Paints (stains, etc.) are not cheap.

I saw one for sale but do I have to add some random shelf under the glass or does it come with it?

what you get is in the picture Frostlord. :wink1:

Very nice to see all the activity this custom got after the release of the Batmobile 89. :dance

I never did foreseen this interest when I first saw the table at IKEA some years ago... :thud:

I wish we had something like this at the IKEA here in Norway. :huh

It would make ...not so much a coffee table, but a perfect display. :cool:

granas-table-and--chairs__79956_PE155642_S4.jpg

:D

Once you're up at dining table height, you should probably think about a different kind of display, including multiple levels. Unless of course you're displaying something huge. Like a caged hooker.

I bought this in hopes for a more 3 dimensional setup with a two X-Wings and two tie fighters but since then sold my second unopened Koto X-Wing

Which reminds me... I should hang a couple of Star Wars ships from the ceiling instead of leaving them in their boxes. ;)

I'm decking out my son's ceiling in Episode 1 vehicles - mainly because I have them and I don't have any space for any episode 1 stuff on my office shelves. Maybe he'll be able to appreciate them by the time the second new movie comes around. ;)

What is available on the Home Depot web site and what's available from store to store can vary wildly. You should check with your local store(s) to find out what they carry.

The Tumbler tires will stick to anything/everything, including plain white paper and glass. If the tires on the 89 Batmobile are similar, you can expect the same. My suggestion is to protect the tires with silicone spray and place them on top of small pieces of clear acetate so they don't touch the surface of your shelf directly.

This is very pathetic on the part of Hot Toys, as there are countless numbers of companies making small-run and very high quality tires for RC cars and trucks that look far better and to scale with their 1:1 counterparts, and have high quality materials that don't show any of these issues.

I understand these things are collectibles, but honestly, speaking as a Tumbler owner, it's really built like junk and with equally junky materials. But it still looks good on display. ;)

Back