Ikea Billy (deep version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the cardboard insert. Honestly, I am asking because a Billy is about 3/4 the size of a double Besta with the height add on, and almost $200 cheaper. So you could buy two for almost he same price as a double Besta.

The door itself has a full length piece of board which is white on one side and black on the other which you can remove or keep it clipped into the door. Here is the link

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20104092/

Current setup. Now i will need some lighting and also thinking of replacing couple shelves to glass shelves.

IMG_0726.JPG

This does look awesome. Is there any downside to this type of set up?? You can buy two of theses for just $50 more then a comparable Besta and you would have almost 15 inches more width, and only lost about a 1/4 of an inch of depth.

This does look awesome. Is there any downside to this type of set up?? You can buy two of theses for just $50 more then a comparable Besta and you would have almost 15 inches more width, and only lost about a 1/4 of an inch of depth.

One of the downside for the billy is that the middle shelf is not movable so it can't be replaced with glass shelves. Otherwise i am loving it, its got lots of rooms and its deep enough for 2 line of 1/6 figures (front and back).

If you like mirror backing for your displays then BESTA is the way to go. Its got a good addon called inreda. (refer to my first post)

One side note is that i had adjusted the hinges for the door, so the gap between the doors are much more narrow now.

One of the downside for the billy is that the middle shelf is not movable so it can't be replaced with glass shelves. Otherwise i am loving it, its got lots of rooms and its deep enough for 2 line of 1/6 figures (front and back).

If you like mirror backing for your displays then BESTA is the way to go. Its got a good addon called inreda. (refer to my first post)

One side note is that i had adjusted the hinges for the door, so the gap between the doors are much more narrow now.

Had you already adjusted the doors on the hinges in this photo?? Oh and do you have any photos of it with a 1/4 PF in it??

Had you already adjusted the doors on the hinges in this photo?? Oh and do you have any photos of it with a 1/4 PF in it??

The photo on the first post is not adjusted yet, I will try and take another picture tonight.

Unfortunately i do not collect 1/4 PF's so i can't show you how it looks like.

Darn I just noticed this. So is the middle shelf anochored at about the 40 inch mark??? If so do you HAVE to put it in at that point?? I only ask because it might make it harder to space the shelfa out for PFs that are often almost 21-27 inches high.

Darn I just noticed this. So is the middle shelf anochored at about the 40 inch mark??? If so do you HAVE to put it in at that point?? I only ask because it might make it harder to space the shelfa out for PFs that are often almost 21-27 inches high.

The middle shelf is actually part of the structure so it is screwed in place when you assemble the unit, it is not adjustable or removable. That is the only downside with this unit because you cant fit 2 PF's from the middle shelf up or down.

The middle shelf is actually part of the structure so it is screwed in place when you assemble the unit, it is not adjustable or removable. That is the only downside with this unit because you cant fit 2 PF's from the middle shelf up or down.

So only 2 levels really? Or 4 levels? Because if it is only 2 then you display maybe 4 PFs
per Billy

Last edited:
So only 2 levels really? Or 4 levels? Because if it is only 2 then you display maybe 4 PFs
per Billy

Or maybe six if you can fit 3 per shelf. Once you put the PF's on the middle shelf then add another shelf above there is no room to put another 2 on that shelf.
You are probably better just going for the Bestas because you can adjust the shelves and they are the same depth as the deep Billy's and the Tombo doors will work on both units.

cabinets.jpg

My birch "big" Billy with Tombo doors. Very cost-effective for my needs.

Wiring needs some cleaning up.:wink1:

cabinets.jpg

My birch "big" Billy with Tombo doors. Very cost-effective for my needs.

Wiring needs some cleaning up.:wink1:

Thanks factorybelt that pic is exactly what I needed to see. With the upcoming DC PFs all being upwards of 25-27inches, and with that anchored middle shelf there is no way to display more than about 4 PFs of the size I mentioned on the stand. Damn I wish you could move the middle shelf.

Thanks factorybelt that pic is exactly what I needed to see. With the upcoming DC PFs all being upwards of 25-27inches, and with that anchored middle shelf there is no way to display more than about 4 PFs of the size I mentioned on the stand. Damn I wish you could move the middle shelf.

No prob, glad to help. I don't have any huge pieces, but I can see that the batman PF is going to be a potential problem.

I limit myself to those three cases, so I guess I'll figure it out next year. :gah:

Probably a long shot... I'm guessing Ikea discontinued these Tombo doors for the Billy ages ago? can anyone let me know. I can't find any info.

IKEA stuff can be modded pretty easily. I think you could move the middle shelf and it would be fine. I would set the shelves to the height I needed them to be, then go grab some metal shelf brackets from Home Depot (I used some to reinforce the shelves in my PAX...they only cost a few bucks), and secure a few of the shelves with those. I'm positive it would be fine.

It's very nice that they make the full height glass doors for these!

Okay upon doing a bit of research I guess they did discontinue the Tombo doors in favor of the Morebo Doors... Except most pictures I've seen it has these black or white panels on them. Can you remove these things? I obviously want to see my collection if I get these. I also wanted to ask if Ikea sold temper glass shevling for the deep Billys. I've seen some normal ones.

Back