Besta vs. Billy vs. Tutemo setup. Opinions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowewillj

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to create my first display case. (or buy if youd like)

I've seen the great thread on Besta's and am interested in them probably the most, however ive collected comics and play tabletop quite often so id possibly like more than just figure storage. i started collecting 1/9 - 1/6 figures, havent really ventured out of that range (yet).

doors are not a huge must have yet, unless i can be persuaded otherwise, ive cleaned what i have with makeup brushes until now and it seems not so bad, (small collection however)..

these are 3 options i have and am interested in getting feedback from people that possibly have these cases already! :D

1st up is the besta like everyone already knows.. (no pics needed probably..)

2nd would be this big guy: Billy / Oxberg
Ikea # - 690.204.73
Link - BILLY / OXBERG Bookcase - black-brown, 78 3/4x93 1/4x11 " - IKEA

I like the center storage on this, if the shelves are adjustable i can fit decorative boxes for comics and some of the more popular tabletop games within the shelves.

Spoiler Spoiler:

3rd option for myself would be: Tutemo cabinets. They have 2 different size cabinets.
Ikea # - 702.655.20 & 802.783.53
Links - TUTEMO Open cabinet - IKEA & TUTEMO Open cabinet - IKEA

These are interesting, because the size of the larger one is Width: 15" Depth: 14 3/4" Height: 15" & the smaller one is Width: 9" Depth: 14 3/4" Height: 15", which would allow me to have some unique spaces to display most of my figures and comics together. am i correct in thinking to take away about 1" from the W&H of these cabinets to get my internal dimensions?
Spoiler Spoiler:

So, thoughts? should I stick with a besta setup? has anyone had success with either of these other 2 options? any help/input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advanced!

If I can do it again, I'd get all billy since I collect mostly 1/6 figures. The besta are so deep and is best for 1/4 or bigger scales. You have to use a half shelf to rise the back side or you won't be able to see the figures in the back. Even doing so, you end up losing a lot of space.

Hi Rowewillj,
I can share my experience with Billys. I also have mostly 1:6 and have chosen Billys.
One reason is I feel that Billy's have a little more flexibility since one can have 4 to 6 display shelves in one case. Be aware that the middle shelf on the Billy is not adjustable so your display will have either 2 or 3 shelves on the top and 2 or 3 shelves on the bottom.

Another good thing is that they come in tall heights. The ones I have are 79.5" tall. And to get that height with Bestas, I believe you would have to buy 3 and then stack them.

However Bestas have that niftly 1/2 shelf so you can have a foreground and background figures. I've seen this done with smaller scale figures and it seems to work well.
So if you want to achieve some depth (since Bestas are deeper) then that might be the way to go.

Neither is wrong or right, it just depends on what you want to do with your display, the area you have and your budget.

Good luck!

I have a combination of Bestas and Billys with matching glass doors.

The Billys are perfect for smaller scales or props, while the Bestas are great for the big stuff. If you match the doors correctly, I recommend getting both! Have a look:

BILLY:

BESTA:

However Bestas have that niftly 1/2 shelf so you can have a foreground and background figures. I've seen this done with smaller scale figures and it seems to work well.
So if you want to achieve some depth (since Bestas are deeper) then that might be the way to go.

Neither is wrong or right, it just depends on what you want to do with your display, the area you have and your budget.

Good luck!

i didnt know about the 1/2 shelf riser option. ive been into 1/10th to 1/6th scale so i think this would be a good option to look into as well!

The Billys are perfect for smaller scales or props, while the Bestas are great for the big stuff. If you match the doors correctly, I recommend getting both!

I REALLY like the besta setup, however i believe those doors you have on yours are discontinued? please correct me if i'm wrong..

part of me would like to consider the other option i have in the original post just so that I would be able to than hang the display above my desk setup and have everything in one area rather than dedicating more space to collecting.

i appreciate the photos tho! they definitely show how good they look together! nice job!

Last edited:

The Billys are perfect for smaller scales or props, while the Bestas are great for the big stuff. If you match the doors correctly, I recommend getting both! Have a look:

BILLY:

BESTA:

I saw your setup the other day and I didn't realize the frames were not all Besta, thanks for the info. Unreal collection, by the way. I have looked at a lot of pictures over the last few days trying to get some ideas for myself and your display is my hands down favorite.

Back