If you didn't collect action figures or statues, what would your hobby be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up with watches? What do you like about them?

image.jpg

Watches should be obsolete, everyone carries a mobile.

I'm presuming there's a lot to be appreciated in terms of craftsmanship... possibly pedigree and history... maybe on some philosophical level about the nature of linear time and its measurement...

But to me I just look at a watch and see temporal obligations to others and my inevitable death.

My dad spends a ridiculous amount on watches. He's got a sick collection but he's got the money to spend on them. Personally, I don't get it but they make him happy so who cares what I think. Plus, any time he starts to give me **** about my collection of figures, statues, and prints I just ask him what the last watch he bought cost and why isn't he wearing it.

What's up with watches? What do you like about them?
I like mechanical watches. I find them fascinating. To keep time without the aid of the modern battery is romantic. I also admire their elegance and how subtle differences in design can affect the entire aesthetic.

I watched (pun not intended) a how it's made on watches the other week. Showed the process of it all by hand and at the end they said the specific watch he just made sells for 250k. I was like...lolwut?

I'm semi into vehicles already so if I spent all my money on something else it would be learning about mechanics and ****. Building engines and whatnot.

I don't really consider collecting toys a "hobby". Hobbies are an activity you engage... not a pile of stuff you bought. I guess customizing action figures could be a hobby. Buying cool stuff made by Hot Toys isn't, though. It's just a collection of cool stuff.

tumblr_m0uif54o3t1qiol6o.gif

I like mechanical watches. I find them fascinating. To keep time without the aid of the modern battery is romantic. I also admire their elegance and how subtle differences in design can affect the entire aesthetic.

Makes sense, the mechanical aspect and aesthetic :)

I like watches also, I had a few mechanicals in the past. I'd probably rebuild my watch collection.

Back