If the Marvel line doesn't...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
customizerwannabe said:
Dude, you have got to understand flipping is a good thing. If people don't flip and only hardcores buy this stuff, how often do you think anyone will get a chance to pick up a piece they missed or developed an interest in gettting later? Flipping is not only a good thing, it is a NECESSARY part of this hobby if you want to continue to see it flourish.

How can the Cap ES be too large if it sold out months ago? All of these people(myself included) want one and were too late to order it. I'll pay a jacked up ebay price if I have to. If flippers didn't buy them, there would be none on ebay and interest in the piece would die. If I couldn't have gotten grails from flippers, I wouldn't have bothered going into the Marvel line.

Buy this stuff because you like it. Not because you know only 499 other people can have the same piece. That's twisted anyways.

Not trying to sound like I'm attacking you, because I'm not. Just attacking this flawed logic that flipping is bad. It isn't. Plain and simple.
I think that there are two sides to this coin Ed. Sure flipping does bring some items to the hands of the wishful and needy but buying just to flip at the beginning of an item's history just takes it away from some one else who was also there. Do you see my point? I like that people are willing to sell me their grails, even if I have to pay more but I don't like people purposely buying things that they aren't even remotely interested in just to see a dollar. I'm not an anti-flipper just trying to be an honest and fair man.

Buying an item with the sole intent to sell it the day you have it at a higher price is bad.

No it is NOT! Do you think people buy and sell stocks the same day? Yep. How about homes? Yep. Why is this any different? Because you have an emotional attachment? Yep. Business is business. Some people buy this stuff to resell and don't even collect it. To make this a moral question is ridiculous. Do I like paying jacked up flipper charges? No, but if I want it bad enough I will. I have paid members here up to 5 times what they paid for a piece. Does that make them bad people? No. Does it make them morally superior to flippers? Hell no. They are trying to make a profit just like the flippers are. It makes no difference what their motive was for originally buying the piece or how long they hung onto it.

Everyone wants to make a profit. Sometimes an obscene one. It's all good. I bought the X-Men vs Sentinel on ebay and sold it 2 weeks later at a profit. Does that make me a flipper? I did it to fund the exclusive version. Now does that make me a flipper? You just can't take motive into account in buying and selling. It doesn't matter.

I disagree that there are two sides to this coin. It isn't even a matter of honesty and fairness. It's just business.

customizerwannabe said:
No it is NOT! Do you think people buy and sell stocks the same day? Yep. How about homes? Yep. Why is this any different? Because you have an emotional attachment? Yep. Business is business. Some people buy this stuff to resell and don't even collect it. To make this a moral question is ridiculous. Do I like paying jacked up flipper charges? No, but if I want it bad enough I will. I have paid members here up to 5 times what they paid for a piece. Does that make them bad people? No. Does it make them morally superior to flippers? Hell no. They are trying to make a profit just like the flippers are. It makes no difference what their motive was for originally buying the piece or how long they hung onto it.

Everyone wants to make a profit. Sometimes an obscene one. It's all good. I bought the X-Men vs Sentinel on ebay and sold it 2 weeks later at a profit. Does that make me a flipper? I did it to fund the exclusive version. Now does that make me a flipper? You just can't take motive into account in buying and selling. It doesn't matter.

I disagree that there are two sides to this coin. It's just business, even at this low level.
:rock:rock:rock

carbo-fation said:
As long as sideshow keeps the edition sizes below 1000 for all Marvel pieces, then it won't suffer the same fate as the LOTR weta line.

I agree. I love some of the smaller ES's for the exclusives, around 350-500. But even 1000 for a very popular character is fine with me. Just don't let it get more than that or suffer the same fate as the SW and LOTR PF's it will.

dropping a $grand$ on a doom pf isn't an investment...you do it for the love of quality,rarity and all out coolness...the only thing which would damage ss marvel pieces is ssw large edition sizes of 2000 upwards.

my advice...spend what you can afford and enjoy what you buy

dont worry about the secondary market..thats for dolphins:monkey1

the Doctor said:
dropping a $grand$ on a doom pf isn't an investment...you do it for the love of quality,rarity and all out coolness...the only thing which would damage ss marvel pieces is ssw large edition sizes of 2000 upwards.

my advice...spend what you can afford and enjoy what you buy

dont worry about the secondary market..thats for dolphins:monkey1

Exactly, I don't ever plan on selling my Doom no matter where the value goes in the future. But that goes for every piece I buy.

However, I won't lie when I say that it's nice to know that most of the Marvel pieces at the very least hold their value.

Exactly, I don't ever plan on selling my Doom no matter where the value goes in the future. But that goes for every piece I buy.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will sell every piece in my collection. I'll really enjoy the stuff for awhile(hopefully a long while) but nothing is permanent, and eventually I'll sell it off to take the wife and kids on a european vacation or buy my kids cars or something. To me, I cherish the memories of ownership. I've collected dozens of different things(stamps, coins, #1 issues of Hulk, Avengers, X-Men, Daredevil, movie memorabilia) and regret selling none. The memories of having time with the things is what matters to me. In the end, that's all we have anyway.

El Roranous said:
If the Marvel Line from Sideshow doesn't calm down soon I think it may be doomed to repeat what happened to the Sideshow Weta line. From what I understand, many (speculators) jumped in to the Weta line towards the end as an investment and then it all went downhill from there because of large edition sizes and so forth. What do you guys think? Some of these prices are getting extreme. On ebay there is a Doom for a Buy it Now of $2000! Furthermore Captain America has one of the largest exclusive sizes we have seen to date. Will this progression continue?

Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe I am just scared because I would like the Marvel line to remain healthy and secure for a long, long time. I just love this line so much and I wouldn't want to see it end because of an "artificial" demand.

And yes, I do know that I am probably over-reacting but hey, that's what these forums are for sometimes- nerds gettting stressed.:lol

EDIT! I hope that this initial post doesn't come off as me being overly concerned about money and profit. The Marvel line is my baby and I just want it to live and prosper in a healthy manner. I want Sideshow to continue to make quality statues because we love them. This thread is about fearing the worst- which is the end of the Marvel line due to a disruption in it's natural course. Sorry to come off as redundant now but I hope that you will read on and see what was discussed. Thanks

Understandable 100%. We all have a tremendous amount of money invested/spent in our product and we'd all hate to see the worth drop like a stone. My advice is to be patient. As time goes by, most collectors...but not all will have filled their needs, some pieces will be broken and collectors may want a replacement, some statues will be impossible to find and if one shows up it will get attention, and the truly timeless pieces will continue to hold value. Especially the LOTR WETA products, which were designed by the actual artists and sculptors that worked on the film, and the classic Marvel statues. You may not be able to fetch $2000 but you should be able to at least make a marginal profit if you decided to sell.

Last edited:
Bodie The Cursed said:
What killed the WETA line is edition sized of 5000 and 9500 ect..

Keep em small sideshow! Up until cap the edition sizes have been perfect!!!

Cap exclusive is 875 and the regular is 1100. Not too high.

Not getting into a scalper/flipper debate on this thread. I think most people on this forum have a clear understanding that it is an aspect of collecting that we must deal with. Sometimes to our advantage and sometimes against us if we are playing catchup on something we missed out on.

That said, it is Sideshow's responsibility to keep an tight leash on the edition sizes. The last time it almost got away from them was with the Cap PF exclusive. They did a pretty good job to close it before it got out of hand with the limit of 2 per customer.

gambit said:
what about Morgul Lord

he has an ES of 9500 and he is still keeping his value so darn good

( I am trying to get one below 150 $ but I do not think it is possible :D )

There are exceptions in that line - as you mentioned the ML and of all things Minas Morgul.

I couldn't agree more with customizer (I refuse to label him a wannabe anymore :lol ) - I love my collection, but not at the expense of my family. If and when these plummet, well hopefully I would have had the foresight to see it coming and sell.

Don't forget that there are other reasons for flipping: to finance the rest of this polystone addiction. With that said, I got an extra Cap PF because I may use it as a good trade-in. Anyone have a Hulk PF they're willing to trade in??

Back