If Sideshow makes 1/6 Vader, here is some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own him too (and two, accidentally ordered a double) and think he's great. My only complaints are the scale and the fact that the dome keeps coming off. And the scale I can live with because the Luke and Stormtrooper match up in that regard as do my other Medicom RAH movie figures like Rocketeer, Edward Scissorhands and Phantom of the Paradise.

However I'm looking forward to SSC's version just because I have far more Sideshow figures than Medicom and I think it will be equally good but will fit into my collection better.

Were all of the OT Vader masks two toned? And were they two toned in the exact same way? Just curious, because I didn't even notice the two tone until it was pointed out in a SW thread, showing the introductive scenes of ANH.

I have mixed feelings about the two tone because while I want an accurate representation of Vader, it seems that the mask was two toned only to improve filming the black mask with their cameras and was not an actual feature of the character (in other words, if Vader actually existed, his mask would be all black). I suppose that is why Lucas made the ROTS Vader's mask all black because that is the way he had envisioned it in the first place.

Yeah, in ANH if you look at it... Vader's helmet looks "dusty", and late in the rest of the films he is jet black and shiny as Hell... I guess they were unsure of how it would look filmed so they had the two tone effect to establish the mask's features....

And if the SSC 1/6th is ever produced, they need to make it as the character would have it... not with the dusty helmet... that would blow...:horror

JustinLuck said:
I have mixed feelings about the two tone because while I want an accurate representation of Vader, in other words, if Vader actually existed, his mask would be all black). I suppose that is why Lucas made the ROTS Vader's mask all black because that is the way he had envisioned it in the first place.

who is to say vader would not customize his mask with different paint designs in the 19 years between episodes 3 and 4? or maybe he was too busy to get his helmet waxed to a mirror shine in episode 4. i bet sideshow will eventually make 4 darth vader figures, as he appears in all 4 films. i think sideshow should do everything in their power to reproduce the costume exactly as it was seen on screen in each film, not how you or anyone else "want" him to look. if his helmet has black and silver paint schemes on it in the film, that's how sideshow should make it. if the helmet appears dull or dusty, that's how it should be. if his gloves are different from film to film, i want that. if his shoulder armor and the way he wears his inner robe and cape changes, i want these details specific to each version. they did this with luke, for example. they could of made his cloak black, as it sometimes looks on screen, but they copied the actual prop and made it brown. accuracy, not artistic liberties is what i want from sideshow. :peace

Last edited:
I'd want the two-toned look as well. For one thing, it just makes him look more interesting. For another, it's a fine distinction between what was done to make something filmable and what was done as characterization. Those little incongruities and eccentricites are part of what gives Star Wars its distinctive flavor. I'd want that represented in the figures. It adds more realism, as it applies to the movies, and makes for a more interesting product.

Having said that, I'd definitely prefer ROTJ Vader (DVD version w/ no eyebrows), but with super-shiny armor, as he appeared at the beginning, as opposed to the dusty armor from the end. The dust, I'm certain, will arrive with time on my shelf.

Back