If Sideshow makes 1/6 Vader, here is some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
These are some things I like and don't like about the Medicom Vader. So Sideshow, take notes! ;)

I love the figure overall, but here are some things that bug me:

1) Even though the mask securely fits on his face, the dome helmet just sits loosely ontop without any grip whatsoever. It doesn't matter if you try to gently push the helmet on or not, it will not fit securely. So, if you pick him up, you have to be very careful not to let his head tilt or the helmet will just fall off (hopefully into your lap or onto a soft carpeted floor). I see no reason why a helmet can't be made that will lightly squeeze on so it doesn't readily fall off, but can be easily pulled off as well.

2) I don't know if this is a common problem, or only with my particular Vader, but the control box on his chest is very crooked. So crooked infact, that one bottom corner is touching his belt, and the opposite upper corner is touching his chest armor. I haven't been able to straighten it because of the way the plastic control box is attached to the fragile leather straps holding it against his body. It appears like when it was originally attached, they put it on crooked, so a big chunk of leather material is sticking out at a diagnal from the bottom of the box, but it cannot slide into its correct position. If you own the Medicom Vader, you might know what I'm talking about? I'm really hoping that this is correctable, otherwise I might have to return the figure just for this reason. I don't see why the control box couldn't have been straight to begin with. I've looked at review photos of the Medicom Vader. One review site's Vader has a crooked control box (not as bad though) and another reviewer's is fine. So maybe it is luck of the draw?

3) The head is a bit looser than I would like. It is a ball socket joint and I wish it had a bit more resistance to keep his head in certain positions. So, if I have him looking up, his head will somewhat easily fall foward. I don't see why the level of resistance would be hard to ensure between dolls. I would rather have lots of resistance than too little. Same goes for the other joints on his body, including the ankles and feet.

4) The material used to make the gloves (hands) scratches a bit too easily. I haven't personally scratched the gloves yet, but one of right hand gloves already came with two scratches (scuffs) on the top of the wrist and hand. Examining the material, I can see how it might become scratched again.

5) His cape came wrinkled in the box and I'm not sure how to flatten the creases out. I really like how there is a wire inside the bottom of the cape to keep it somewhat stiff, but the wire isn't quite stiff enough to stretch out the material to remove the numerous creases. Is there a way to reduce the creases? Steam iron?

6) Not a really big deal, but apparently his mask was created to represent the original costume used in the movie and not the actual suit the character wears. This is because the mask is actually two toned. The forehead portion and right cheek portion are dark gray while the left cheek and chin portion are jet black. I read that this was done on the costume so that the film cameras could pick out the details of his mask. Maybe this style is preferred by many people, but I would actually prefer a solid toned (jet black) mask because this is what the character Vader would have; not the costume for a movie.

Things I do like:

1)Lightsaber hilt - very good detail

2)Lightsaber beam - good thickness

3)Hand gestures (wish they had included a completed fist though!!)

4)Anakin's face - paint job is top notch! Doesn't resemble Hayden or Sebastian Shaw, but has a good expression nonetheless.

5)Shape and detail of Mask - Love it even though the shade of color is uneven. Desperately wish the dome fit more securely though!

6) The look of clothes, belt, and boots are great over all, but the sleeves could be a little longer to help compensate for the bending at the elbows.

Now everyone else who owns a Medicom Vader, please add your own pros and cons :)

If you release a 1/6 Vader, DON'T show us preview photos! Look at what happened when people saw the 1/4 version.:D

Batty said:
If you release a 1/6 Vader, DON'T show us preview photos! Look at what happened when people saw the 1/4 version.:D
No kidding. The last thing we need is another round of "The widow's peak is a millimeter too short" or "The vent in the chin piece is too recessed."

Batty said:

Yea, just show his leg, elbow or clenched fist. But people would prolly ***** about those and say they are not screen acturate, not made from the same stitching thread and light doesnt shine off of them like the real movie vader.

Yeah, whatever happens.... for the love of all that is holy... keep it simple.. like the luke preview.. Clenched fist, slight view of his belt... perfect!

We really don't want the nitpickers to go crazy on the smallest details. It's happened before, I'm sure it would be worse this time with the smaller scale...:banghead

They should just show his boot, or maybe the back of his cape. :wacky

Sachiel said:
They should just show his boot, or maybe the back of his cape. :wacky

His boots are totally the wrong style!

*insert numerous screencaps here*

OMG, his cape should flare more!

If you want to patronize legitimate suggestions for improvement, please do so in your own thread.

As I said over at RS. If they follow basically what they did with the 1/4 scale it will kick arse.

This is all funny to me. Not for nothin', but some people take themselves and everything around them way too seriously.

Blake said:
This is all funny to me. Not for nothin', but some people take themselves and everything around them way too seriously.

Makes you wonder if they are this picky about things that really matter like cars, clothes, house, the food they put in their mouths.

See...that is exactly why I do not stress about anything on these figures... I just look, see if I like...and buy or not.. They are exactly as stated above, just action figures... To place on your desk and smile...:cool:

If these are just action figures, then save yourselves a significant amount of money and fustration and buy the Hasbro versions... ;)

By the way, I happen to have a ton of them for sale if you're interested...:naughty

TheObsoleteMan said:
His boots are totally the wrong style!

OMG, his cape should flare more!

That Vader discussion was probably the most interesting time I've had on this board in a LONG time. It sure beats the monotony of another, "What figure will we see next?" post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
JustinLuck said:
So no one else here owns the Medicom ROTJ Vader?
I own it....your complaints are legit...but in a message board you should be very light of heart....opinions are like a**holes,everyone has one..and they ALL stink..:peace

JustinLuck said:
So no one else here owns the Medicom ROTJ Vader?

i own him, and i think most of your complaints about the medicom vader are exclusive to the medicom figure design or quality control, for example, loose neck, crooked chest box, helmet falling off, wrinkled cape, scratched gloves, etc.

as a matter of fact, i have no problems with my medicom vader, except the hands come off very easily. sideshow hands attach in a different way than medicom hands, so the hands falling off won't be a problem.

i hope sideshow copies the medicom figure exactly as medicom did it, regarding the details of the figure, including the two tone mask. of course there will be some design differences as the medicom figure body and sideshow's body are made differently, i just hope they will produce the figure in proper 1/6th scale.

Back