Identifying fake Cosbabies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100indecisions

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I casually collect specific figures I like and so far haven't spent huge amounts of money on any one thing, so for stuff I want that's only/mostly available on eBay, I'm not sure how to figure out whether certain things are fakes. At the moment I'm looking for the Loki Cosbaby, which mostly seems to be available on eBay as part of a set...and I've seen prices for the set ranging from $35 to $180. For that reason, the more expensive ones are more likely to be authentic, but 1) I'd like to save money if I can and 2) I don't mind for authenticity's sake itself as much as wanting to get the best value for my money (and wanting to be able to resell figures in the set that I don't want). And of course there's the fact that prices really can vary widely on eBay, and the eBay seller with the $35 set has a very good rating. So...what should I be looking for?

Is there any evidence that Cosbaby KOs exist? I would be surprised if they were popular enough to warrant having fakes. Keep in mind that some people will always list things for more than they are worth on eBay, because there it's a high reward/low risk proposition (little to no listing fees for sellers). So, unless you have additional information to go on, I wouldn't assume something is fake just because others like it are listed for a higher price on eBay.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start (and that's if they exist.)

I see your point though with the prices. And with collectibles, where there's a will, there's a way. I think kara is right about the listings though. Sideshow sellers are a prime example of jacking up the price on pieces.

Are there any message boards that dedicated to them?

Good to know--I wouldn't have even thought to ask except when I was doing research on the main Hot Toys figures, I learned about knockoffs of those (casual collector, as I said, so even that hadn't occurred to me independently) and later came across a thread about Cosbaby figures. Since they're so much cheaper than the big Hot Toys, though, I guess there wouldn't be as much of a point in trying to copy them.

There were some weird bootleg pseudo-Cosbabies awhile back using bootleg 1/6 scale Hot Toys heads on them, I think. But they would be instantly recognizable as not being legit.

There were some weird bootleg pseudo-Cosbabies awhile back using bootleg 1/6 scale Hot Toys heads on them, I think. But they would be instantly recognizable as not being legit.

I would love to see a picture of one of those, because that sounds slightly terrifying. :p

For what it's worth, Sideshow's price for a set of six Age of Ultron Cosbaby figures is $90, which does make me a little concerned about $35 for a 6-figure set that's no longer available outside of eBay. Although at least that's not a huge amount of money if they're knockoffs of some kind, and Cosbabies aren't super detailed to begin with.

The lack of popularity here could lead to some major discounts. Here are the ones I was talking about, that I got via a Google search:

do1lT95.jpg

the current generation of cosbabies look so much better in my opinion. Nice that they made them slightly bigger than the older ones too.

Back