I'd just like to take this opportunity to say....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rickycbowl3ng.jpg

Last edited:
Good game last night. It really could have gone either way. Was fun to watch that's for sure.

Wow, what a game ... 4th and 1, that goes down and the game would have been over.

Both teams were classy, and that was nice (I guess it is because none of them are being paid yet :rolleyes: ). I must say though, that the talk of Vince Young being robbed of the Heisman is absolute fodder.

TheWitchKing said:
:nono No no Josh, Dusty already said your crossed off the Sideshow list. Your definitely crossed off the Chuck Norris priority fan list too! :faq

There is no going back! :nono

Damn:wacky

You can't say that Bush didn't deserve it either though. Although Young is great. Hopefully he and Leinart will meet up again on the pro field.

LOTRFan said:
Wow, what a game ... 4th and 1, that goes down and the game would have been over.

Both teams were classy, and that was nice (I guess it is because none of them are being paid yet :rolleyes: ). I must say though, that the talk of Vince Young being robbed of the Heisman is absolute fodder.

Oh, the what-ifs of this game - these two teams were almost exactly equal in game stats - what a GREAT game!!!! Perfect game for the national championship - no fan could have asked for anything better (well, I guess USC fans could have asked to win, but regardless it was a joy to watch, no matter what side you were rooting for!).

But really, after watching that game, you can't honestly tell me that Vince wasn't robbed of the Heisman, I mean seriously. Every USC fan I met last night after the game in Pasadena graciously admitted that Vince deserved the Heisman after watching him single-handedly win that game (well, with the help of the Longhorns' defense of course) - even with the #1 team in the nation's defense trying as hard as they possibly could to contain him. 30 of 40 pass completion rate, nearly as many rushing yards all by himself as every USC rusher had *combined*, the first player in NCAA history to exceed 3000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing in one season - I could go on but I'll stop. Reggie Bush is an EXCELLENT player and has amazing speed, but Vince's performance this year was just better all around - rushing/passing/leadership. Bush, White, and Leinart had an excellent game as well - just not *quite* good enough this time around.

The USC fans had other not-so-pleasant comments of course, but every single person to a T bowed before Vince. He acted very professionally and showed up and just did what he knew he had to do to bring home the win. USC didn't do that - there's really no excuse that can be made - 12 point lead with only 6 minutes left, celebrating and rubbing it in too early (even the TV announcers were doing that!! which really ticked me off! - don't write the Longhorns off with 6 minutes left!), and then not finishing it up. Their stars just didn't shine bright enough last night...

Period.

And now, let me just do a little celebratory dance because I'm SOOOOO glad I don't have to hear the "I told you so's" from the cocky USC fans around here in LA.... (even if I wasn't a Longhorn fan I would have cheered for them - I always root for the underdog if my home team's not playing!! I won't be saying 'I told you so' to anyone - although I see Gruson has :p - because I honestly thought it might not happen for us - if you live around here you know the media had made it known that there was 'just no way' that UT could win, and they had me mostly believing it; I just didn't want it to be a blow out! - so now I'm simply enjoying the moment :))

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Last edited:
Congrats with the Longhorn Dusty
:joy
I'm looking forward to the new Windows version too

What a post Dusty ... :D

I will just say this about Bush/Young:

Hype is certainly a factor, but Bush had an amazing season, while Young took over one game; granted it just so happened to be the National Championship. :google Reggie Bush was the single greatest offensive weapon in the country, Vince Young certainly while amazing doesn't touch the total statistics that Bush puts up.

Most pro scouts do not hold much hope for Young's future in the NFL, he always takes snaps from the shotgun, and that is not how it is done in the pros. Of course this is not how the Heisman is evaluated (the expectations of a pro career), but I think the scouts are recognizing that Young's value while significant to his team is not going to be all that in the future. This tells me that he is an amazing talent, for his program, but given the entire spectrum of football his impact may not be great. But what do these guys know (the scouts), they thought Ryan Leif would be a phenom!? :google :sick

LOTRFan said:
Hype is certainly a factor, but Bush had an amazing season, while Young took over one game; granted it just so happened to be the National Championship. :google Reggie Bush was the single greatest offensive weapon in the country, Vince Young certainly while amazing doesn't touch the total statistics that Bush puts up.

I'm sorry what??? I'm really not *trying* to argue with you, but I must address the facts! OVER 3000 passing yards AND 1000 rushing yards in ONE season doesn't touch the total stats for Bush?? I must be missing something.... :google

Yes, they are ranked evenly (Young is ranked as the #3 QB in the nation, Bush as the #3 RB in the nation) but to me (and many many many others) the combo of those 2 stats is very much in Young's favor as the better all-around athlete. I could care less how he does in the pros (I detest pro football with a passion) - I just care how he did this season! And he rocked - the incredible improvement in his passing game, the rushing yards he put up, the way he reads the field. He made *spectacular* plays and decisions all season long - just like Bush. The difference is that he did it in two arenas (passing/rushing), not just one. And he did it when it mattered the most, without losing his cool - ie: in the National Championship game.

Now, I'm back to work :p You will hear not one more peep out of me - I'm too busy getting ready for the Obi-wan pre-order tomorrow :duff

Originally Posted by LOTRFan
Reggie Bush was the single greatest offensive weapon in the country, Vince Young certainly while amazing doesn't touch the total statistics that Bush puts up.

LOTRFan, Texas fans will be watching you closely. :wacky

meetthefockers1vm.jpg

The following is what Dusty didn't say:

Reggie---Bush:
Rushing---Stats---
YEAR---TEAM---ATT---YDS---AVG---LNG---TD---FD---FUM---LOST
2003---USC------90-------521----5.8------58----3------0------0-------0
2004---USC-----143------908----6.4------81----6------0------0-------0
2005---USC-----200-----1740---8.7------76---16------0------0-------0

Vince---Young:
Rushing---Stats---
YEAR---TEAM---ATT---YDS---AVG---LNG---TD---FD---FUM---LOST
2003---TEX-----135----998----7.4-----65------11----0------0--------0
2004---TEX-----167---1079---6.5-----60------14----0------0--------0
2005---TEX-----155---1050---6.8-----80------12----0------0--------0

TOTAL Rushing TDs in the last Three Years:
Bush: 25
Young: 37

Total Rushing Yards / Attempts in the last Three Years:
Bush: 3169 in 433 attampts (7.32 yds / carry)
Young: 3127 in 457 attempts (6.84 yds / carry)

Bush is a -running back-. He's SUPPOSED to RUN with the ball.
Young is the quarterback. He's SUPPOSED to PASS, but he can run too!

PASSING STATS:
Bush:
YEAR---TEAM---CMP---ATT---PCT---YDS---AVG---TD---LNG---INT---RAT---
2004----USC------1--------1-----100.0---52------52.0----1------52------0-----866.8
2005----USC------0--------2------0.0------0---------0.0----0------0--------0-----0.0

Young:
YEAR---TEAM---CMP---ATT---PCT---YDS---AVG---TD---LNG---INT---RAT
2003----TEX-----84----143---58.7---1155---8.1----6----67----7----130.6
2004----TEX-----148---250---59.2---1849---7.4---12---49----11---128.4
2005----TEX-----212---325---65.2---3036---9.3---26---75----10---163.9

Bush managed 52 total yards passing.
Young managed 6040 total yards passing.

As far as moving the ball...
Bush: 3169 + 52 = 3221
Young: 3127 + 6040 = 9167

Sure, throwing the ball to get those yards is different from running the ball on your own, but as it is, when you have several people running at you, you have to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge (tm Dodgeball).

BUT BUT BUT...
Reggie Bush is SO MUCH more of a weapon...

ok. so put them BOTH in the same game and put it to rest.
Going against other teams isn't enough... put them on the same level field.

2005 Rose Bowl:
Bush: 13 carries, 82 yds gained, 1 touchdown, 26 yds longest run
Young: 19 carries, 200 yds gained, 3 touchdowns, 45 yds longest run

If numbers and math are a universal language, Vince spoke. And his actions speak louder than words. And before y'all think this is coming from some diehard bleed-burnt orange Longhorn...not 100% so... I'm an Aggie, but I also have Longhorn blood in my veins.

:)

FYI - Best game since PSU won the National Championship in 1986. Congrats to Texas! I was rootin for ya!

Quite a lesson Bum, there must exist a mass West Coast conspiracy, we all know the media is biased towards us out here. :D

Different offences, one based on a quarterback who is given an option to run because of his size, and the other of a more traditional design. Bottom line is that Vince Young doesn't have as many weapons to go to on his team, he HAD to do it all. At USC you have Bush, White (who is equally amazing, and may win the Heisman next year if he stays) and an incredible receiving core (which you didn't list Bush's receiving stats).

LOTRFan said:
...Most pro scouts do not hold much hope for Young's future in the NFL...

I don't know what you've heard but from what I've been hearing, if Young declares this year, he will be the #1 pick ahead of Bush and Leinhart.

Fritz said:
I don't know what you've heard but from what I've been hearing, if Young declares this year, he will be the #1 pick ahead of Bush and Leinhart.

Not likely considering that Houston just extended Carr's contract, they do however need a running back. New Orleans is second, and Brooks is likely to be out, so it may be a toss-up between Leinhart and Young.

LOTRFan said:
Quite a lesson Bum, there must exist a mass West Coast conspiracy, we all know the media is biased towards us out here. :D

Different offences, one based on a quarterback who is given an option to run because of his size, and the other of a more traditional design. Bottom line is that Vince Young doesn't have as many weapons to go to on his team, he HAD to do it all. At USC you have Bush, White (who is equally amazing, and may win the Heisman next year if he stays) and an incredible receiving core (which you didn't list Bush's receiving stats).

But the bottom line is, this year, all the hype was on Reggie Bush.
Not last year, cuz that was Leinart's.
If you stack up the stats, including receiving stats,
sure, Young had 48 reception yards to Bush' 1301 in the last three years. Then again, I'd just stop and be braindead if Vince can throw AND catch the ball... or if Mack Brown can convince team after team, play after play that Vince is actually going to throw the ball instead of pitching, running, and then catching the ball.

That puts total yardage to date at Bush 4522 to Young 9215.

Point contribution to the team? Bush had 39 TDs (25 rush, 13 recept, 1 he passed). Young had 81 (44 pass, 37 rush).

the only thing i really have issue with is that my basis for posting is to compare individuals because of an Individual Award. The question is, who is the better individual player?

Reggie Bush was the single greatest offensive weapon in the country,...Bottom line is that Vince Young doesn't have as many weapons to go to on his team, he HAD to do it all.

Reggie can run and catch, Young can pass and run. But Reggie can take a breather after a few plays or so. Young takes that field and does what he needs to do each play. Maybe if we just keep Bush on the field every play or just try him out at QB, maybe then we'll all have our questions answered. Sure, you say that Young took over one game. Sure, it was the National Championship. But the point is, Bush and Young were on the SAME field. They used their athleticism to show statistics with the help of their teams, not the ballots of regional and state representatives. And at that same token, it seemed everyone put more emphasis that USC was the better team, therefore only to increase the ability of the 'better' Bush. History will say different, at least for this yr's National Championship. I'm not taking away from the fact that Reggie Bush IS a great athlete, but to say that Young doesn't touch the total statistics Bush puts up makes me smile, and post. :)

Another instance... Hakeem Olajuwon was considered Regular Season MVP. He lost it to David Robinson. On the court, Hakeem and the Rockets beat the Spurs and David Robinson, and went on to be champions that year, receiving the Championship MVP. Greatess from and on the same field.

Last edited:
Bum said:
I'm not taking away from the fact that Reggie Bush IS a great athelete, but to say that Young doesn't touch the total statistics Bush puts up makes me smile, and post. :)

And I am glad that you did, I should have phrased my thoughts a bit more carefully. :D :peace

No doubt both are amazing talents, we'll see how they do at the next level. :cool:

Back