"I Just Bought My First Mattel!" - A Hot Toys Related Mini-Rant from The Boot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boot

Super Freak
Reaction score
"I Just Bought My First Mattel!" - A Hot Toys Related Mini-Rant from The Boot

Collector #1 said:
I just bought my first Mattel!

Yeah. Sounds kinda stupid, doesn't it? Doesn't really sound natural. "Mattel" what? Mattel is a large company that produces a wide variety of products - Action figures, dolls, radio controlled vehicles, cars, games, you name it. It is the name of an entity that produces various items not the proper name of a single item nor the name a type of item produced by said company.

Yet I keep hearing people refer to 1/6 scale Hot Toys figures as "a Hot Toy".

"A Hot Toy". Drives me $#&*#@ nuts.
:p

Hot Toys, not unlike Mattel, is the name of an entity that produces a wide variety of products. 1/6 scale figures, Cosbabies, busts, dioramas, etc. To say you bought your first "Hot Toy" is a wildly incomplete sentence...

Collector #2 said:
I just bought my first Hot Toys figure!

Oh, really? Swell!

Collector #3 said:
I just got a new Hot Toys bust!

You don't say! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Collector #1 again said:
I can't wait for my new Hot Toy to arrive!

Buh? What toy? Did you manage to acquire an especially popular item? Did you ask someone to throw your Luke Skywalker figure in the oven for a few minutes? What in God's name are you talking about?!

Stop it.

Love,
'Boot!

P.S. I'm not saying he was the first to use it, but I need a scapegoat so I'm choosing to blame Arnie Carvalho. He says it all the time. Newb.

:monkey1 :monkey3 :D

Re: "I Just Bought My First Mattel!" - A Hot Toys Related Mini-Rant from The Boot

To be fair 1/6 is what the company is known for and what they produce most. Busts and cosbabies are small potatoes in the line-up.

What i find rant-worthy is when people refer to Hot Toys as the be all and end all of the 1/6 format.

Re: "I Just Bought My First Mattel!" - A Hot Toys Related Mini-Rant from The Boot

If I say I buy a Rolex or a Cadillac, that might be incomplete information, but it is not incorrect. Saying that someone bought a "Hot Toy" is equally correct or incorrect.

bb_look.gif

You know what really grinds my gears??

When people use "HT's" as an abbreviation for Hot Toys.

For example,

Collector said:
Come on, HT's!! Where is Elias???

Or

Collector said:
Come on, HT's!! Where is Smooth Criminal???

Or

Collector said:
Come on, HT's!! Where is BTTF???

HT's is possessive.

:gah:

YES. I'm right there with ya, SwedishHeat!

This is important stuff, people. :lol

Seriously though, I totally agree. "HT's"? "Hot Toys's"? :cuckoo: :D

I hrear ya Boot. . I hear ya. :lol

The apostrophe thing kills me too. People just chuck them in wherever they feel like.

They signify ownership - not plurality! :lecture :gah: :lol

It is annoying reading badly constructed posts, or reading post after post with horrible grammar.

Using 'then' all the time instead of 'than'.. & so on. :slap :lol

I hrear ya Boot. . I hear ya. :lol

The apostrophe thing kills me too. People just chuck them in wherever they feel like.

They signify ownership - not plurality! :lecture :gah: :lol

It is annoying reading badly constructed posts, or reading post after post with horrible grammar.

Using 'then' all the time instead of 'than'.. & so on. :slap :lol

:lol hrear, really?

What drives me nuts especially on these forums is the Twitter mentality of short sentence posts from people trying to be witty. It was never like this back in the EZ Board days.

Yeah. Sounds kinda stupid, doesn't it? Doesn't really sound natural. "Mattel" what? Mattel is a large company that produces a wide variety of products - Action figures, dolls, radio controlled vehicles, cars, games, you name it. It is the name of an entity that produces various items not the proper name of a single item nor the name a type of item produced by said company.

Hot Toys, not unlike Mattel, is the name of an entity that produces a wide variety of products. 1/6 scale figures, Cosbabies, busts, dioramas, etc. To say you bought your first "Hot Toy" is a wildly incomplete sentence...

Oh, really? Swell!

Buh? What toy? Did you manage to acquire an especially popular item? Did you ask someone to throw your Luke Skywalker figure in the oven for a few minutes? What in God's name are you talking about?!

Stop it.

Love,
'Boot!

P.S. I'm not saying he was the first to use it, but I need a scapegoat so I'm choosing to blame Arnie Carvalho. He says it all the time. Newb.

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

Oh, really? Swell!

Stop it.

Love,
'Boot!

Sounds like something a Chinese speaker might do.

But seriously... A Panda eats shoots and leaves. When a Panda orders from Hot Toys he sheds, pewps, and relieves himself after he finds out he's broke.

I just bought my first Jaguar.

Same principle, jaguar is the maker of the car, not the actual car type.

I get where you're coming from, I have little things that annoy me, but this one doesn't bother me that much to be honest.

Ah, but if someone said "I just bought my first Jaguars", would you feel the same way?

To be honest, I was (pretty clearly, I assumed - just how many of those smilies does a fella need to use in order to not-so-subtly make a point?!) only half-serious in the first place. That said, the misuse does kind of irk me.

"I just bought my first Jaguars (an S where there should be no S)!"

"I just bought my first Hot Toy (no S where an S should be)!"

Equally as offensive to my delicate :)monkey1 - eh? eh? a smilie!) ears.

Cheers, fellow Freaks. :duff :)

Yeah Jaguar with an s would sound pretty weird.

I knew you weren't being deadly serious, but I just thought I'd introduce another angle.

To be honest, if you want to get me really worked up, say 'of' instead of 'have'!

"I could of gone to the pictures but didn't have time."

That is something that will always get me angry.

Back