I got my Gentle Giant Vader Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: re

Elwood you are comparing apples to oranges, you are comparing a $160 Vader to a $450 Vader.

No, it's a $200 MSRP Vader to a $350 MSRP Vader.

The non-exclusive Vader went for about $300 and the GG Vader for about $160. I'd much rather have one Sideshow SW piece than two GG SW pieces.

Thats all fine and good Elwood. However, just because you collect one and someone else collects the other doesnt make one fan more hardcore. SS and GG both seem to be making outstanding products of SW for fans in both price markets.

just because you collect one and someone else collects the other doesnt make one fan more hardcore.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm simply saying that someone who isn't absolutely in love with Star Wars isn't likely to drop $300-$450 per piece on an entire line of SW products. The GG line is a nice alternative for those people, and the fans who can't afford to pay more.

I'm not a hardcore LOTR fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I would pass on most of the Sideshow pieces if they made 1/4 versions as expensive as the Star Wars ones. I do like the series enough to buy a few SS/W statues, which is a nice and cheap alternative for me.

The GG line is a nice alternative for those people, and the fans who can't afford to pay more.

Thats it right there. Its not a matter of how much you love SW or LOTR its a matter of the ole Bank Account. I love SW I think its just totally awesome but my poor bank accont limits me to basically the price the GG stuff is at. Now, if I was to get a teaching position here just real soon or if I go do something else then yeah I'll be getting some SS SW pieces as well as GG.

re

Well folks, I must be a fussy son of a gun because...I bought him...scrutinised him intently...find fault with him...now want rid of him.

What the hell is meant by hardcore anyway??:\ If being 'hardcore' is all about buying everything...then I want nothing to do with it. I will be happy just to have my figures and McQuarrie prints. I am not in the business of competing with others for the largest collection purely as a demonstration of my admiration and loyalty to the movies, just so others can post drool smileys and remark 'wow, awesome collection, Gaz'.

Elwood, before you can say the scale is off you have to personally measure each statue, there's no way you can do it just by looking at them.
You say GG hasn't quality but what exactly is quality? I don't think SS's Luke or Solo have a good likeness to the actor's and that can be considered as a lack of quality, so it isn't also for the hardcore fan, if the hardcore fan is the one that only buys perfect pieces , he's also the one that will never own any collectible because there isn't such a thing as a flawless piece.

Its Vader at 1/6th scale so he's in line with what he would be at that scale. Much like 99.9% of all the LOTR pieces are in the correct 1/6th scale.

re

if the hardcore fan is the one that only buys perfect pieces , he's also the one that will never own any collectible because there isn't such a thing as a flawless piece.

There's a lot of truth in that statement, but it has to be said that the so-called hardcore fan often desires that which is superior, faithful to the character, and ultimately something that he or she cannot bear to part with...and all regardless of price. It all boils down to what's important to you, not what's deemed popular to the many, or what's the most expensive.

Having the largest collection the world has ever seen does not make you the biggest fan. It is what you know of the movies and what they mean to you that's the crucial factor in all of this...not how much you buy.

I got mine yesterday and I love it. While I'm not thrilled about how skinny he is the piece is great. The cape totally makes this statue awesome. This is my first fullsize Vader piece. The Attakus pieces are nice but way out of my league. I do have the GG Vader mini. As cool as that piece is, the fullsize rocks!

Yeah, I'm very impressed by the GG piece. I have a couple of other GG pieces coming my way the C3 Exclusive Trooper bust thanks Gruson :) and the newest GG Vader Bust coming from Gil thanks buddy :) . These pieces are just very nice and since they are close to the SSW LOTR pieces they are even nice in my book.

That was taken from another forum but it's on the same subject:

From "The Essential Guide to Characters"

C-3PO is 1.67 Meters
Darth Vader is 2.02 Meters
Chewbacca is 2.28 Meters

If those numbers are correct, then the statues are in perfect scale. Both Vader and Chewie are much taller than C3PO, and Chewie has the same height as Vader but his legs are bent, if he was standing straight he would easily be 20 cm taller than Vader.

They look in scale as I said. The length of the legs on the GG Vader don't look any different than the legs on the SSW LOTR items. So the 1/6th scale is accurate on both of these pieces.

Also just got mine today, what a great piece! I love the pose and the paint (apart from a bit of a sloppy saber handle) is awesome! Great work GG!

I like the GG Vader pose, it would look great if it was the same size next to Sauron.:p

It would be nice if he was 24" tall but that would also make him more exspensive :( 1/6th is just fine with me since he fits right in with everythign else.

My Vader should arive by tomorrow, finally! I will post some pics of the badboy when he arrives.

Back