Huge toy and collectable sale at Tower Records today only!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realise Medicom ES was so short until he arrived at my door. I bought him as a gift for a friend who isn't a 1/6th collector so I don't think she will mind his lack of stature. Isn't Johnny about 4'6" anyway? Might actually be in scale.
I also got a couple of the DC Direct mini-busts, the Spidey maquette and some other things for stocking stuffers. Great sale and a nice help for Christmas shopping.

About the Medicom Rocketeer. I agree it's a pretty mediocre figure. It's amazing this figure commands the huge price that it does now. I love the character and wanted to have the figure but I wouldn't if I'd had to pay $400. USD for one. Jacket is very nice but everything else in the box was pretty blah. But it does have one of the nicest boxes I've ever seen for a 1/6th figure. Really beautiful art and layout work. Really the best part of the set.
SSC needs to chat with Disney or Dave Stevens or whoever currently determines the rights to produce Rocketeer stuff. They could do a waaaaaaay better job on this figure.

I would love to have Sideshow do a Rocketeer figure. I passed on the Medicom one, as I won't pay that kind of money for an action figure but Sideshow is capable of doing a much better one for much, much less.

First, I have to disagree about the Medicom Rocketeer. Aside from scale (and he's in scale with other Medicom figures) it's a damned fine figure. Sure it would be good if he had a face, but I'd rather have a proper sized helmet.

And for Eddie - I think they were trying to go for scale and that's why they made him so short. He's from the "artistic" collection or something like that, so they weren't going for a Depp likeness. I think the costume is pretty good too, but I would have preferred it to look like Depp.

creecher said:
I have just had an email from Tower telling me tiny Eddie will ship once back in stock, so look out ebay, here comes McEddie.
What did they say specifically? Did they say:

Dear __________,

Although we have not yet shipped the items on your order ******, we are
working to do so as soon as possible.

Your purchase information appears below.
When available the following item(s) will ship via US Postal Service.

The item(s) on your order have been placed on back order. Back ordered items
usually ship blah, blah, blah.
That's not a guarantee that they'll send you one. I emailed them back about Premium Format Hellboy this is what they said:
That item was limited in stock with us and was part of our toy blowout sale.
I'm sorry, but we will not be getting more in stock. Feel free to order from
the site you mentioned.
By the way I didn't mention a "site", I just said the Manufacturer, Sideshow Collectables sill has this item in stock so it shouldn't be too hard for them to find this statue to complete my order, (yes I'm being a dick about it ;) )
I sent a reply back once I read that, I'll spare you the details.
I hope Eddie finds his way to you Creecher, but it's not likely.

I own the Medicom Rocketeer, and it's very nice. The packaging is also very well done. The only problem I have is his height, which isn't nearly as small as Eddie Scissordude.
It could be vastly improved, like giving him a removable helmet or secondary head, and an extra pair of hands so he can grip a Mauser, which he should've also came with. but I'm still very satisfied with him. I'm leaving him in the box so it would be nice if Sideshow could release their improved version so I can have one to display.
I agree, Eddie does have a very nicely tailored outfit, I just wish his straps were real with metal buckles.

Last edited:
I'm at least glad that others like the Rocketeer figure. If I may stray from topic, here's why I dislike it from recollection as I've taken the figure apart and don't know where everything is to reexamine:

Numero uno most definitely is the scale. The body is too short and that affects everything pretty much made for the figure. The helmet is actually still a tad underscaled, exposing part of the chin when it shouldn't. I really dislike the base body design but it's a quibble when the figure is clothed (the shoulders may still be a bit too broad or waist too narrow). The gloved hands don't fit over the knobs underneath well without the shirt cuffs being folded over them! Otherwise the gloves fitted completely over the knobs alone leaves the forearms appearing quite short. The gloves fall off easily too. An open gloved hand with mauser should have been included instead of the open bare hands. The jacket is too short, the belt shouldn't be visible. The boots are slightly wrong. There should be laces (or lace sculpts) over the feet and top sides. Since the figure appears to be in flight due to the hand sculpt it would have been good to have an independently moving head (apart from the neck) to look up and pleather or softer plastic boots to tip the feet down. Dragon style click stop feet would have helped keep the feet in place.

I may have missed a few things, but these reasons are why I dislike Medicom's Rocketeer figure. I do like the sculpt of the helmet (appears welded) and jet pack, however, so it's not all bad.

Yes ScreamingMetal, that is what it said, so it's back to the McEddie for me. I appreciate you passing on your experiences, and the details of the sale. It did get me excited for a week, and I didn't spend money I shouldn't really have. So it's all good. :joy

Referring to another thread, I would like Sideshow to take over the 1/6th world so we can have stuff in 1/6 scale. Maybe its the analog reference point. US vs EU measurements and the like. Time to get with the digital world and ask for our figures to be 0.1666 or a Premium 0.25.

chamildav said:
About the Medicom Rocketeer. I agree it's a pretty mediocre figure.
Are you kidding?:confused:

I gotta agree with Dave on the Rocketeer. It's a great figure. It's not 1/6 but like Dave said it is in scale with Medicom's other figures. I don't think it's worth $400 but it's definately worth what I paid for it back when it was first released.

You know, I'm not telling anyone not to love the Medicom Rocketeer figure. It may be that my standards are too high for a relatively expensive release like this one. Here are a few problems I have that I and others have mentioned.
The boots are innacurate and not terribly well detailed as is true of the breetches as well. Neither item screams quality to me and they should. The fit and pattern are wrong.
The helmet is too small for the head and does not cover the head which is a blank sculpt. The shape isn't bad but it isn't perfect either. It should have been closer.
The rocket pack is poorly and innacurately detailed. It looks like the master was sculpted from soap and left in the rain before the molds were made.
The choice of hands is not a good one. A hand to hold the Mauser pistol (and the pistol) should have been included. Another hand to hold an American flag would also have been a nice addition for all of us who'd like to duplicate the iconic Dave Stevens Rocketeer pose.
The positives are the jacket which is nicely designed and made in a very attractive "pleather" material. It doesnt fit properly but it's still very well done.
The packaging is wonderful.
And the best thing of all is it's the Rocketeer in an approx. 1/6th scale action figure and I was lucky enough to get one at the original inflated price (it was actually a gift given to me when it was first released) as apposed to the even more bloated one it currently sells for.
If I recieved a Dragon, bbi, or a current SSC figure that was as poorly researched and detailed as this one, and at a fraction of the price I'd be very dissapointed and so would most of you. If I recieved a set from TS or Hot Toys at there price point like this I'd be screaming my complaints about it and so would most of you.
I'm not going to give Medicom special props just for producing a figure I want or be thrilled with it simply because of it's price and exclusivity. I'm not an action figure investor and I'm sure as hell not trying to impress anyone with my groovy collection. At this price I have fairly high expectations. Medicom gets the special props if they do it right. They didn't this time.
You know, I used to like this figure even with it's problems ( did I mention it was a gift?) so I think I'm going to just stop reading this thread and go back to being happy with it for what it is.

Back