1/6 HT Star Wars Figure Deterioration / Staining Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?ve wanted a sixth scale Ahsoka Tano for a long time, and I preordered her. But the rubber arms terrify me and I?m tempted to cancel.

I've learned quite a bit from reading the posts from these various forums, unfortunately at other's expense and experience. I have avoided any characters with seamless rubber skin/body coverings (with one Aquaman exception) and any characters in all black rubber/leather (e.g. Batman or Vader). For those characters the only guaranteed collectable to not deteriorate would be a statue, as far as I can tell. If you're concerned I'd look for a statue. And I believe you'd be justified for your concerns, for every one collector with no problems I apparently see at least one or two with cracking/melting/tearing figures.

Ouch f%@k that!, lucky I found this post cuz still have mine MIB.

So if I want to display him with the robe, what can I do to prevent the staining?

Will this be the same for HT Dooku (the cape), HT Emperor (the robe)?

Hot Toys fabric staining the plastics used for flesh (especially head sculpts and hands) is commonplace, unfortunately.

Some people leave some of the protective plastic on. I've inserted clear archival quality plastic film into places where the sculpts can be vulnerable, like the neck in the collar area.

For robes, people have had success washing out the excess dye with warm water and a bit of gentle detergent.

I?ve wanted a sixth scale Ahsoka Tano for a long time, and I preordered her. But the rubber arms terrify me and I?m tempted to cancel.

Will they still deteriorate if I leave it in a museum pose?

They should be fine in a museum pose. I wouldn't worry.

And I believe you'd be justified for your concerns, for every one collector with no problems I apparently see at least one or two with cracking/melting/tearing figures.

As long as a figure is properly maintained and not abused by leaving them in extreme poses, in sunlight, or extreme conditions, they're more or less fine. Small parts may come undone or unglued over time, but the worst issues are in the minority. It is definitely not a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio. I can be overly cautious as well, but that's too alarmist.

I wholeheartedly agree with with everything you said, but I am very sorry to hear about this part. Both for the loss of homes which is traumatic enough, but the loss of the collectibles inside and memories made there.

That is definitely one of the worst case scenarios for anyone, and a nightmare for any collector. My spouse has had many childhood things taken from them and destroyed, and I know that it is a kind of loss that never leaves you.

I am happy to hear that you have been working to piece together your collection again. I wish you all the best in that journey.

Thank you. Appreciate the post.

Your faith in what, in your opinion being the only valid one out there?

Did my divergent views stress you out?

Should I spend the rest of my days checking for my cracks in my Luke?s boots instead of enjoying these figures while I have them (and while I can still see, lol?)

The amount of projection in your posts is hilarious. Enjoy your toast, bud.

I received the bottle of 303 I ordered from Amazon earlier in the week so I'm ready to start treating some pleather :yess: So reading previous posts, the consensus is to apply a small amount with a microfiber and then wipe dry with a another microfiber? And avoid getting it on fabric?

I received the bottle of 303 I ordered from Amazon earlier in the week so I'm ready to start treating some pleather :yess: So reading previous posts, the consensus is to apply a small amount with a microfiber and then wipe dry with a another microfiber? And avoid getting it on fabric?

Yes. Small amount (less than you think).

It does not air dry so wipe it off after applying.

And yes, avoid getting it on fabric.

And how often is the application for 303? Once a year or more?

The "avoid fabric" thing is trickier than you'd think - given that pleather is jackets (right next to shirts,) belts (right next to pants) etc. Boots are about the only thing that's somewhat effortless to separate from the figure to treat, then replace.

Also, if you buy a figure that's say 5 years old, it it too late to treat with 303? Like is the chemical reaction already too far along to bother with 303, and it's really something that's only for pretty new figs?

Nope, just work it in and buff it down. The material will take it in as it goes on.

If you’ve never used it before, you can try it on your car (vinyl or plastic parts) or any furniture in your house that has vinyl upholstery so you have an idea of how it interacts with surfaces when applied.

And how often is the application for 303? Once a year or more?

The "avoid fabric" thing is trickier than you'd think - given that pleather is jackets (right next to shirts,) belts (right next to pants) etc. Boots are about the only thing that's somewhat effortless to separate from the figure to treat, then replace.

Also, if you buy a figure that's say 5 years old, it it too late to treat with 303? Like is the chemical reaction already too far along to bother with 303, and it's really something that's only for pretty new figs?

It’s never too late. It’s helpful to do it early on and maintain it, but it’s better late than never.

On a car, 303 should be used once every few months. But a car gets more UV exposure then the figures will. So I would say once a year should be fine, twice a year maybe. But you should see a noticeable difference from when a dressing is applied versus not, so you can keep an eye on it and reapply when the surface has lost its luster.

And as with car interiors, it’s important not to oversaturate the surface. Especially where there is stitching. So start on a flat area and apply very lightly to areas where there’s stitching.

Yes, it is tricky to apply to those areas like belts and small accessories. It may be easier to use something like foam tipped makeup applicators (they look like q-tips). I would recommend those over actual q-tips as foam or microfiber is preferred for application.

For that reason, I’m planning on trying out Ultima Interior Guard on my figures as it’s safe for any car interior surface - including fabric - and it’s rated to last longer than 303.

It’s more expensive than 303, but it’s a high quality product that I’ve used it for my cars. I’ve have had two cars including my current with red full leather interiors which can be a bit tricky to maintain.

Thank you for the info MyenShi. It's very helpful. I was going to use a q-tip but I might wait until I can pick up one of those small foam tipped makeup applicators you mentioned. The first thing I plan to try it on is Jyn's belt and the Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper's pauldron.

Thank you for the info MyenShi. It's very helpful. I was going to use a q-tip but I might wait until I can pick up one of those small foam tipped makeup applicators you mentioned. The first thing I plan to try it on is Jyn's belt and the Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper's pauldron.

No problem.

Good call. A q-tip is not necessarily bad, but they are made of cotton which can be a bit abrasive. If that’s all you have at the moment, you should be okay as long as you don’t apply much pressure.

3. Buy a temp/humidity gauge and monitor it. Aim for no more than 26 deg C at all times, ideally around 22 deg C. Aim for no more than 60% humidity. Anything more than this, turn on dehumidifier or A/C.

(sorry for the resurrection bump)

I recently bought a humidity monitor and was happy to see my place stays around the 42-50% range even during 85 degree F and stormy weather. I assumed it would be much higher given outside temperatures here are like a swamp.

Definitely still need to get a dehumidifier eventually for the June-Aug months.

Back