HT Ripley Ver:01 + Ver:02 comps

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ALL about the licensing with the ALIENS line.

YES, Hot Toys COULD HAVE painted the eyes and the hair dark brown to match Sigourney...but then they could have faced potential legal issues if Weaver found out and went after the licensor (20th Century Fox I believe) who had probably specifically told Hot Toys that they could not use the actress' direct likeness.

But Hot Toys was also clever enough to work around that for the customizers out there by providing a sculpt that resembles the actor/actress but making obvious changes like the hair and eye color to distinguish it JUST enough. Yes, Hicks and Apone don't look anything close to the actor even in sculpt...but Hudson's "Stoner" head sure looks like Michael Biehn with the right paint-job as we all know.

Kudos to Hot Toys for finding a work-around...and thanks for posting those pics!The 2nd Ripley head looks great!

I just have an unaltered V1 of Ripley, and in person she doesn't look that bad. She's still recognizable, but in pictures where the head is much bigger it really shows off the poor quality and choices of paint.

Yeah it's the same head sculpt; but no biggie there since I thought it looks very much like Sigourney with a repaint. And paint apps are probably the best improvement they could've made, since now it's far easier to improve the likeness with a simple repaint of the hair and irises.
I can't wait for mine.
Thanks for the comparison shots Wookster!

Well you guys are pretty much saying what I say in my review, still not finished yet... damn 'real' work getting in the way!
That with a simple (or not so simple, when I see the love you guys put into your work) re-paint can bring out a great likeness. I actually wonder if this isn't a deliberate paint job to 'shift' the likeness a little to get round the licence, knowing full well the likeness is under there if you know how to bring it out...!

The new version doesn't look as good repainted as the original. Face is too slender or something...

Yeah, it's still the same sculpt. Both can be repainted to look fantastic. The computer painted shot is no indication at all, you can't replicate what we do with computer rendering. :lol

I've seen the Les version up close and I have done my own. This can look a lot more like Sigourney than anything else out there. :duff

Back