HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)-Link to buy from SS in 1st

Most companies do it... they release previews with the pending approval label every time... changes usually aren't as drastic, but it's nothing new...

Depends on what you mean by most, and who you happen to be referring to as being most companies. I suppose I should have explained that by 'proto type' I meant an expectation of what the final figure will look like. Approved sculpt, professionally painted, in costume. Changes being minor, such as accessories, acquired materials, factory paint apps.

They may state 'pending approval' to cover themselves, but they also state 'authentic likeness' which I find deceitful in many cases. Not that they did with this figure, just that they do describe many of their figures as having it. Is it a language problem? Should it be approved likeness? No matter, if the likeness is pending approval, they ought to fuzz out the features until it is, or post pics once approval is given. We'll still be talking and anticipating for 6 months in any case. Personally, I would find it a more honest practise.

I single out Hot Toys, due to their major changes, and the efforts they go to to recall images, released by themselves, on the net. It may not be particularly new, but I find it particularly annoying, sometimes disappointing and just a plain dumb thing to do, other than stir up controversy and hype. In which case they succeed. At being controversial and dumb that is. :lol Apparently it works for them because they keep on doing it.

Re: HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)-Link to buy from SS in 1st

couldnt agree more, creech!

I just couldnt understand why I cant seem to pull the trigger on this MJ, despite having the dough now. I'm still hoping that they'd give us a better sculpt. Will use the money on something else, like another tyler sculpt from rainman :lol

Shouldn't you be saving your money for the next Bruce Lee figure? I'm sure you'll enjoy one of the up and coming MJ figure sculpts. Such as Smooth Criminal with anti grav shoes should be easy for them to achieve and make for a great display. They'll need to find a way to really tighten them joints though. As releases go by I'm sure they'll better perfect Michaels various likeness issues. We'll see.

I'm not a great fan per se, but Thriller is to MJ as what God is to Bruce. It's an iconic look so I went ahead and ordered.

We all know why they post their unapproved proto pics. So they can start raking in some pre-order monies to start production, gauge interest and help determine a production run limit.

Shouldn't you be saving your money for the next Bruce Lee figure? I'm sure you'll enjoy one of the up and coming MJ figure sculpts. Such as Smooth Criminal with anti grav shoes should be easy for them to achieve and make for a great display. They'll need to find a way to really tighten them joints though. As releases go by I'm sure they'll better perfect Michaels various likeness issues. We'll see.

I'm not a great fan per se, but Thriller is to MJ as what God is to Bruce. It's an iconic look so I went ahead and ordered.

We all know why they post their unapproved proto pics. So they can start raking in some pre-order monies to start production, gauge interest and help determine a production run limit.

Just sold some stuffs, and managed to get myself a nice lump of coins. So I'm not too worried bout the upcoming Bruce from EB :D

Yeah, Ive always wanted an MJ thriller, and I agree that those red jacket is as iconic as that yellow jumpsuit on bruce!

Just that I'm not such a big fan of that MJ fan, and if they did release smooth criminal version, he'd be too white for the thriller version by then:monkey1

Just went to ebay and check these, seems like retailers are giving major discounts on these.

Some are as low as $190 a pop for the 'shipping now' ones! Crazy, HT and the MJ state prolly didn't see this coming from one, if not their most anticipatef figure to hit the market.

I'm kinda sad, that the market didn't accept this as well as I hoped they would. Guess the poor sales could probably be cause by so many fans complaining bout that non smiling/smiling sculpt debate that has been goin on.

Well, even though the new expression is not as cool as the proto... the final product is very awesome looking.

I was considering just keeping the zombie and selling off the original, but the hands in pocket pose works really well with the doofy smiling expression.

I really don´t like the new sculpt:

4154905287_ce51016f4e.jpg

4154892187_d5844a531e.jpg

Is more "zombie" than the zombie version.

4155686322_e93e057be4.jpg

Unexpressive look !!!!

4155686322_e93e057be4.jpg

Unexpressive look !!!!

Yes, that face scared me more than zombie version, is an Asian version o bollywood version:D
hot toys, never forgive you!:banghead but thanks by the opportunity to improve it. I think hot toys wants that we will have fun customizing the figure:rolleyes:

I think overall this figure is pretty awesome. I'm fine with the smiling face, I don't think its exactly MJ face, but the smile is ok. He is smiling through that entire video (when he is not a zombie or werewolf). The Zombie one is perfect. Really cool figure. Definitely picking it up when I have the extra cash

The tailoring is really top notch! wow!

Just went ahead and bought him. Should be here next week. :rock

I'm kinda sad, that the market didn't accept this as well as I hoped they would. Guess the poor sales could probably be cause by so many fans complaining bout that non smiling/smiling sculpt debate that has been goin on.

Poor sales? What are you basing that on? There's nothing to indicate that sales are poor.

Poor sales? What are you basing that on? There's nothing to indicate that sales are poor.

Resellers were putting these up for $250 for pre orders before these hit the shelves.

And normally with HT stuffs, ready stock is more expensive than PO price. Last saturday BIN prices for these were around $250ish. Now there are some as low as $190 for the ready stock ones.

If these were doing well, you won't see them lowering prices like that, and those that are priced like that would be long gone.

I think that's nonsensical logic. There are a lot of people selling this figure on eBay and if one decides to sell at $200, others are gonna have just as much luck asking for $400 as they would for $250. Besides that, the figure was released less than a week ago and you think sellers in that time have decided not only that it's not selling but that it's selling so poorly they have to cut the price. I can't see that...

Also, we don't know how many of these were made. The run could be larger (and probably is) than most Hot Toys figures. This would drive prices down as retailers are flooded with stock this week, and then get more and more competitive with each other. Anyway, ebay shouldn't be used as a real world barometer for anything. I pre-ordered months ago from xl-shop for $200 shipped to California, so last Saturday's $250ish (+shipping?) prices don't really mean much. Those are just rip-off artists seeing what they can get away with before everyone gets in their stock.

Yes, I also think this figure will go down in price from what ebay is dictating once everyone gets their stock.

Also, we don't know how many of these were made. The run could be larger (and probably is) than most Hot Toys figures. This would drive prices down as retailers are flooded with stock this week, and then get more and more competitive with each other. Anyway, ebay shouldn't be used as a real world barometer for anything. I pre-ordered months ago from xl-shop for $200 shipped to California, so last Saturday's $250ish (+shipping?) prices don't really mean much. Those are just rip-off artists seeing what they can get away with before everyone gets in their stock.

I agree...
It sucks when even some e-tailers jack the prices just because it's a popular figure... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back